Visa needed to apply for DL?

Next trip I'm planning on getting (at last) a Thai driver's license. I'm confused as to what type of visa is needed as I've seen some places that state an Non-imm visa is needed and some that say you can secure a DL with just a TV. Any experiences with this on the forum?

I think if you show up with your significant other, Thai citizen, wife for example and have anything other than an exemption stamp, meaning an actual VISA, you should be good to go. I did my DL last year in Buriram and they took my 90 day marriage VISA without asking any questions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Next trip I'm planning on getting (at last) a Thai driver's license. I'm confused as to what type of visa is needed as I've seen some places that state an Non-imm visa is needed and some that say you can secure a DL with just a TV. Any experiences with this on the forum?

You have a retirement visa (Non O) ,that will be good enough!

You need to go to immigration and tell them your intentions and they will issue you a letter (I don't remember the official name of the letter/form).

You must go to a clinic and get another letter  saying your medically fit to drive( no exam,just routine ,in and out ).

If you have a valid  UK license you can use that to avoid a written test (on the computer ) .

The tourist visa is the same with one difference, your given a 2 year DL as opposed to a 5 year with the NON O.

Some Provinces as mention in another comment won't issue a DL on a TV .

I think that the transportation office is closed temporarily in Sakon because of the virus that originated from china.

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

I think if you show up with your significant other, Thai citizen, wife for example and have anything other than an exemption stamp, meaning an actual VISA, you should be good to go. I did my DL last year in Buriram and they took my 90 day marriage VISA without asking any questions. 

I will quote myself... Lol. What I should have said was, if you show up at the immigration office to obtain your residency certificate anything other than an exemption stamp should qualify. 

1 hour ago, Faz said:

It varies from DLT office to office.
It may help if you stated where you'll be staying.

According to the official DLT website https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/ it only states Visa for the initial 2 year licence, but Non Imm Visa for the 5 year licence.

I'll be in BKK when I do this. I'll have to get my residence certificate from imm or affadavit from the US Embassy. Yeah, the uncertainty on the "official" channels is what started the question.

6 hours ago, JamesE said:

I'll be in BKK when I do this. I'll have to get my residence certificate from imm or affadavit from the US Embassy. Yeah, the uncertainty on the "official" channels is what started the question.

CW won't issue a 'residence certificate' unless or until you've submitted your first 90 day report.
US Embassy affidavit or apply for Yellow House book another option.

How are you entering, VE, TV, Non Imm O?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Faz said:

CW won't issue a 'residence certificate' unless or until you've submitted your first 90 day report.

That's what I'm trying to determine. Non-O if my insurance qualifies, SETV otherwise. I've seen nothing that says I can come in VE and get the DL.

The Immigration Office you sign on at will issue a certificate of residence ( some charge 200 Baht ) then you need originals of your passport, home country driving licence,  the COR, and a medical questionnaire from your local clinic stating you don't have various illnesses. You take these and make photo copies of all of your personal documents so they can sift through and remove copies of pages they want . I cant remember if they also wanted a passport sized photo to attach to your application so maybe take one to be safe.

They will give you additional paperwork at the Land Transport District office which will all be in Thai so make sure you have someone with you to translate and help you fill it in.  Once you hand it all in and have taken the 3 physical tests and possibly watched the long video (all in Thai and pointless) you go  and get your photo card done and pay your fee 

The 5 year licence is a repeat of the above process with  the same documents supplied and copied above. The visa requirement seems to change depending on you province , in Sakon Nakhon I used my Non O visa but a Tourist visa would have been acceptable. 

21 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That's what I'm trying to determine. Non-O if my insurance qualifies, SETV otherwise. I've seen nothing that says I can come in VE and get the DL.

I assume you'd apply for the Non O based on retirement (no Thai family/spouse).
How long do you intend to stay in total?

I'm wondering if it's viable to enter VE and apply for the Non O at Immigration.
No 400/40K Health Insurance requirement, but 800K deposited in a Thai bank account for the Non O.

As far as an affidavit from the Embassy goes it will cost a lot more than the Certificate of residence ( free but possibly 200 baht tea money charge) from Immigration. You will need to prove you live at the given address obviously but if you have been doing 90 day reporting that would be enough with your print out of attendance. If you have a tenants agreement or yellow book even better proof for Immigration. 

7 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

The Immigration Office you sign on at will issue a certificate of residence ( some charge 200 Baht )

Not at CW Bangkok. As already stated you must have submitted a 90 day report before CW will issue a residence certificate.

On the plus side obtaining a Driving Licence is a real walk in the park compared with trying to obtain a Yellow House Book if you are not married. I found that out this week when I applied for the house book and a pink ID card.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, JamesE said:

You may the have the option to pay for a special foreigner package to get your license.

I have not done this but associates assure me it worth the price.

I think if you don't pay you will have to pass tests and exams.

Paying the fee ensures you will pass.  

This information is old, and a lady in the office always arranged all of this.  I have no first hand experience.  I have just used an International Driving Permit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bushav8r said:

You may the have the option to pay for a special foreigner package to get your license.

I have found a couple of DL service companies. They do translation of the form, hand-holding, and (most likely) hand out a few Baht of tea-money to the deserving public servants. It's pretty cheap, 2-3K for car and MC licenses.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I have found a couple of DL service companies. They do translation of the form, hand-holding, and (most likely) hand out a few Baht of tea-money to the deserving public servants. It's pretty cheap, 2-3K for car and MC licenses.

I would take advantage of their services.  They will make it easy.

35 minutes ago, JamesE said:

What kind of MC do you have?

22 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

What kind of MC do you have?

Nothing yet. I'm still not spending enough time in TLOS to justify keeping one, so I just rent small bikes and scooters.

Just now, JamesE said:

Nothing yet. I'm still not spending enough time in TLOS to justify keeping one, so I just rent small bikes and scooters.

Me too...some good places to rent bikes for very cheap.  Big bikes suck in traffic in Bangkok.  I will likely buy a scooter when I am back in Thailand.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Me too...some good places to rent bikes for very cheap.  Big bikes suck in traffic in Bangkok.  I will likely buy a scooter when I am back in Thailand.  

I'm going to try a PCX or whatever the Yamahammer equivalent is while I'm in the Sandbox. I've only used the Click or similar to date. I think it might be too big for BKK but I'll have to check it out.

10 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I'm going to try a PCX or whatever the Yamahammer equivalent is while I'm in the Sandbox. I've only used the Click or similar to date. I think it might be too big for BKK but I'll have to check it out.

Small bikes are the only way to go in Bangkok, unless you use BTS/MRT.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Faz said:

No residence certificate is needed. It just called "proof of adress" for the time of your application.  Which can be the hotel, that "has to register", maske you know as staying in there.

Or you need, for this immigration paper, the / a rental contract  plus copy of housebook, at best the owner of the place, you are staying.

And if I remember that right, the first one will be, or was at least, just for one year.

And you have to do all over again, in the next year.

Funfact: For about 8 years or so, you can now not only renew  up to the usual 6 month before, but also up to 6 month (or so)  AFTER expiration date.

The advantage of that is: Start it just the next day after your birthday, when the DL is run out, you get it renewed till the 5. following birthday. Which is in fact a almost 6 years license. Good, it cost you fee for all 6 years, but it gives you one year more, not to ask for the free "proof of residence" paper, where they ask now 300 baht "tipp" for.

I am not the type of guy, who likes to pass money over a officials table, but not gettin a receipt!

26 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Small bikes are the only way to go in Bangkok, unless you use BTS/MRT.

150 click comes to mind, which should work perfect in Bkk.

A PCX is not a big bike, but BIG/WIDE it is.  Not sure, if the Yamaha N-Max, or the Honda ADV 150, both looking "slimmer" as the PCX, are that much nicer to maneuver around.

But if going for a PCX like scooter, I would try them.

On the other hand, the 150/250/300cc "sportsbikes", CB (R) 150/300, Yamaha R/MT0)3, Ninja 250, they are bigger (displacement) bikes, kind of, but still be able to maneuver traffic before stoplights.

A CB(X) 500, even a Honda 250/150 CRF, however, is trouble, doing that.

Just not sure, if James E has Bangkok traffic in mind, during his tests on, right now, traffic reduced Phuket. ;-)

He would need to drive the rush hours in the morning and evening, the Chao Fa roads f.i., to get some idea, methinks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I have not done this but associates assure me it worth the price.

I think if you don't pay you will have to pass tests and exams.

Paying the fee ensures you will pass.  

This information is old, and a lady in the office always arranged all of this.  I have no first hand experience.  I have just used an International Driving Permit.

You mean pay a bribe?