Visa needed to apply for DL?

On 9/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, Shark said:

same as adv ;-) you can't keep a dog between your legs... due to the more secure build.

Funny - I was tempted to say that then I thought nobody else here would!

It also makes the Click far more practical as a local "shopping" bike.  If I need to go out to get some petrol for the strimmer when I'm cutting the grass I can put the jerry can on the floor, or a can of paint, but otherwise I'd have to take the pick up and sometimes it just isn't worth it.

15 hours ago, Shark said:

for open road i don't consider anything less then 300cc "performing". Just my two cents. It's the main reason why I have the XADV.

If we are going open road then yes maybe a Honda Rebel 500 ( not the under powered 300 version ).  So many great bikes including the XADV, it's just a question of how big your pockets are once you move out of the 100-200cc bike range

2 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

If we are going open road then yes maybe a Honda Rebel 500 ( not the under powered 300 version ).  So many great bikes including the XADV, it's just a question of how big your pockets are once you move out of the 100-200cc bike range

Sure, I got the XADV in my better days, these days I wouldn't buy it - I guess I would get a 300cc something (the cross between adv and xadv should still come).

I'm a big guy (+- 2m in length) and the XADV is a heavy f***er too but a Rebel is too small for me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this question has been asked (i briefly went through the walls of text and didn't see mention)..

Are the Land Transport District offices open for appointments at the moment? I got my residency certificates for car/moto, I have my international drivers permit (set to expire soon) and original DL from ooversea. That supposedly helps skip a few steps but we called 5 or so offices in Korat area and all said they are not doing tests at the moment due to covid. They said for Thai people , expired license will be accepted until next year or something like that and neither Thai or farang can get a test done. Can anyone confirm they got their appointment or test in the last month or 2?

Edited by Dooleygank

23 minutes ago, Dooleygank said:

Can anyone confirm they got their appointment or test in the last month or 2?

My S.O.'s nephew just got his new license, testing and all, a couple of weeks ago but he had to go to an office outside of Bangkok, maybe down to Ratchaburi. So some central region offices were (are?) open. Not sure how it is elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Dooleygank said:

Can anyone confirm they got their appointment or test in the last month or 2?

If you have a valid foreign licence and IDP then you should only take the preliminary tests same as if you were renewing an existing Thai licence.

Some DLT's are offering limited services, it could greatly depend if your in a dark red or green zone to what extent normal services are disrupted. You can apply at any DLT office.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Faz said:

If you have a valid foreign licence and IDP then you should only take the preliminary tests same as if you were renewing an existing Thai licence.

Some DLT's are offering limited services, it could greatly depend if your in a dark red or green zone to what extent normal services are disrupted. You can apply at any DLT office.

Thanks for the info. Im in Nakhon Ratchasima an I think we are deep red at this moment. I will keep looking around and just wait and see what happens.

20 minutes ago, Dooleygank said:

Thanks for the info. Im in Nakhon Ratchasima an I think we are deep red at this moment. I will keep looking around and just wait and see what happens.

Restrictions are slowly being lifted even in dark red zones, so keep enquiring at your local DLT.

The son is at University in Nakhon Ratchasima and he managed to re-tax his motorcycle in August at the local DLT there, so limited services are available.
Make it clear you have an existing foreign licence and IDP and not making an appointment for the full practical and theory tests.

Just wanted to follow up with a little info. One of my Thai friends was renewing his driver's license and showed me the e-learning page that I was able to sign in as a foreigner using my passport information. I watched the video and completed the test. I had my certificate of residency for motorcycle and car, my medical certificate, international driver's permit and driver's license from overseas.

I walked in at the local DLT #2 in Nakhon Ratchasima at Joho area of town and was able to hop in the QR code appointment line even though I didn't have an appointment. I waited for everybody else to go and then showed them my paperwork and they told me to wait a few moments , copy a few pages and sign a few things. I was able to pay 205 baht take My photo and get my driver's license for a car.

Due to my international driver's permit not having a stamp for motorcycle I was required to do a test of 50 questions on a computer in English. Passed that. I really didn't expect to even be able to do any of this today so I didn't have my motorcycle with me, but need to take the driving test

Going back tomorrow and hopefully everything works out well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Real quick follow-up of a follow-up...

Did my driving test for motorcycle today. I had no clue what I was supposed to do. I took a photo of the instructions and translated in Google translate because my Thai is extremely limited to just simple things like food numbers colors and profanities.

I got a rough idea of what I was supposed to do and watch the five or six people before me do their test. Took the test and passed. Can't wait to get my first official ticket from the Thai police!

56 minutes ago, Dooleygank said:

Can't wait to get my first official ticket from the Thai police!

Careful what you wish for in Thailand, it could be death certificate.

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Careful what you wish for in Thailand, it could be death certificate.

Yeah I know.. I was just joking.

But you should make one of your informative posts about how to file for  our death certificate in Thailand. A lot of us here probably need to know about that one.

It would suck being dead trying to scramble through endless web pages trying to figure out what we're going to have to do and what it will cost.

Your info is always spot on.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, gazmo16 said:

As long as you have the forms filling explained the DL tests are not only easy to pass but should you fail them maybe you shouldn't be on a bike. They involve peripheral vision (looking at coloured lights out of the corner of your eye}, brake test (stopping when a red light appears then going when it goes off and making two nails stop opposite each other  by adjusting one back and forward. Really simple stuff. 

The forms are just name and address type with details of your licence request (complete set of papers needed for a car or motorcycle) as they are separate licences and fees. If you are using an international DL copy and bring that also. 

As for buying a bike I've just bought one but had to register it in my GF's name as I didn't have a yellow house book or pink ID card for the green book. Renting maybe a better idea especially in BKK where you really only need a small and narrow bike for filtering in traffic and low speed riding. Repair shops mainly cater to Honda and Yamaha which is worth considering when the bike needs any work done. I can stop at almost any shop to get my Honda looked at, not many European bikes can say the same. 

If you are on a  long term visa go to immigration they have a form that you fill out, supply two photos, and a copy of your Tabian Bahn, plus take the person whose Tabian Bahn you are registered with and their Tabian Bahn and ID, copies (2)  and they will issue you with a letter with one of your photos saying that you can have a licence and register a motor vehicle / bike etc.  You need to present the original to the land transport office they don't take copies. Passing the test is up to you.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well... That was fun. Alarm went off at 04:30. In the car at 05:15 drive across Bangkok and get to the DLT at 05:45 and I still wasn't first in line. They open at 08:30... I hired an agent (the best ฿2k I've spent, worked with BSR Bike Shop) who baby-sat me, answered all my questions, made my copies and chaperoned me and another farang through the process. Said process is basically: Wait, check paperwork, repeat, repeat but this time get a number, check paperwork and get it stamped, go upstairs, get another number, check paperwork get it stamped and divided into two piles (one for car, one for MC), go take the fun tests, get another number, pay the fee (included in the agent's price) get stamped, photographed and moved to a stool while somebody else moves into your recently vacated warm seat, and, finally, receive your brand new Thai licenses. Whew!

Done with a SETV and proof of address by way of a notarized statement from the US embassy. Dr. Donna for the medical certificate (฿200).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Done with a SETV and proof of address by way of a notarized statement from the US embassy. Dr. Donna for the medical certificate (฿200).

Requirements can vary at local DLT centres.
I can only relate to my local office who as per your experience will issue the 2 year provisional licence to 'tourists', e.g. Visa exempt or Tourist Visa entry, but will only issue the subsequent 5 year licences to those with a Non Immigrant status.

The mileage may vary at other DLT offices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Believe DLT processes are entirely uniform in their consistent identical requirements regardless of DLT office location.

Completely unlike Immigration of course.

Would certainly be interested to hear of any such DLT location variations. 

I obtained my first two 2 year TDL as Visa Exempt.This year converted to 5 year TDL using Thai ID & Tabien Baan.

Only ever dealt with Phuket DLT ; always found them fair, helpful & efficient.

14 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Believe DLT processes are entirely uniform in their consistent identical requirements regardless of DLT office location.

Completely unlike Immigration of course.

You'd be wrong. 😉

All Provinces have their own adopted administration processes, which can vary.

14 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I obtained my first two 2 year TDL as Visa Exempt.This year converted to 5 year TDL using Thai ID & Tabien Baan.

Only ever dealt with Phuket DLT ; always found them fair, helpful & efficient.

Quite common to issue the 2 year temporary licence to those classed as Tourists, but you need  Non Immigrant status to obtain the 5 year licence at most.

16 minutes ago, Faz said:

You'd be wrong. 😉

All Provinces have their own adopted administration processes, which can vary.

Quite common to issue the 2 year temporary licence to those classed as Tourists, but you need  Non Immigrant status to obtain the 5 year licence at most.

Yes. Needed Longstay Visa to get Thai ID & Yellow Book. Phuket DLT processes have never changed in my long experience.

Interesting to hear that different DLT offices have different requirements for the same simple deliverable outcome.

Although what is often forgotten is that the TDL is a Govt Photo ID. And far easier for foreigners to get than Thai National ID.

29 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes. Needed Longstay Visa to get Thai ID & Yellow Book. Phuket DLT processes have never changed in my long experience.

I suspect you extended your stay (an extension) which is a 'permit', not a 'Visa'.

30 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Although what is often forgotten is that the TDL is a Govt Photo ID. And far easier for foreigners to get than Thai National ID.

It's a Thai ID card for foreigners, somewhat different than the Thai national ID card, which also by the way has a government photo attached.

2 hours ago, Faz said:

I suspect you extended your stay (an extension) which is a 'permit', not a 'Visa'.

It's a Thai ID card for foreigners, somewhat different than the Thai national ID card, which also by the way has a government photo attached.

I mean the national (thailand) pink ID card issued to Foreigners here with Yellow House Book.

TDL obtained within Original Visa term. Consular Visas do not extend.

35 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Consular Visas do not extend.

Consular Visas expire, but you extend your stay from the entry of that Visa.

Some topics you may find interesting to read;
https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/1652-visa-or-extension-of-stay/#comment-5567

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/3245-applying-for-a-thai-driving-licence/#comment-25768

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2021 at 9:04 AM, bushav8r said:
  1. Work Permit or Certificate of residency: (See details for eligibility)

• Valid work permit with your address listed: A digital work permit with your address listed upon opening the QR code or physical blue book with your address listed in the back of the book (Generally between pages 24-26) can be accepted. Note, the majority of work permits do not have address listed so a Certificate of residency would be required instead.

• Letter of residency: Issued from either your home country Embassy (Valid for 1 year) or Thai immigration office (Valid for 30 days, and must be from the Bangkok office) Please note, TM30, rental contracts, and other forms of address verification are not accepted.

This is where I'm getting stuck. As an Australian, the embassy will not help it's citizens with anything overseas, including proof of address. I often visit Thailand on visa exempt, tourist visa, or business visa. I can't get a residence certificate from immigration, or letter of residency from the Australian embassy, so what are my other choices?

My 5 year license has expired less than 1 year, and I'd like to renew it before it's too late. I don't want to rely on my Australian driver's license because of the trouble and expense of going back to Australia, paying the drivers license tax, waiting for weeks for it to come in the mail, and again going back to pay the local AAA corporation for an IDP every year.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Use a drivers license renewal service. But are they able to handle this type of issue?

2. Get registered on a tabian baan at my friends house. However, an earlier Thaiger user said that getting this is impossible unless you're married in Thailand. I tried it and was ridiculed by the bureaucrat. Is there a way to do this?

3. This might sound odd, but are there any other embassies that I can go to and fill out an affidavit? I didn't see anything saying that the residence certificate needs to be from the country of your passport.

4. Any other ideas? I'm really quite stuck.

1 hour ago, MrBoat555 said:

This is where I'm getting stuck. As an Australian, the embassy will not help it's citizens with anything overseas, including proof of address. I often visit Thailand on visa exempt, tourist visa, or business visa. I can't get a residence certificate from immigration, or letter of residency from the Australian embassy, so what are my other choices?

My 5 year license has expired less than 1 year, and I'd like to renew it before it's too late. I don't want to rely on my Australian driver's license because of the trouble and expense of going back to Australia, paying the drivers license tax, waiting for weeks for it to come in the mail, and again going back to pay the local AAA corporation for an IDP every year.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. Use a drivers license renewal service. But are they able to handle this type of issue?

2. Get registered on a tabian baan at my friends house. However, an earlier Thaiger user said that getting this is impossible unless you're married in Thailand. I tried it and was ridiculed by the bureaucrat. Is there a way to do this?

3. This might sound odd, but are there any other embassies that I can go to and fill out an affidavit? I didn't see anything saying that the residence certificate needs to be from the country of your passport.

4. Any other ideas? I'm really quite stuck.

Option 1 Use Agent