News Forum - Thailand to be added to UK “red list” from Monday

Thaiger

Bad news for British sandboxers on Phuket or elsewhere, as well as anyone else planning to travel from Thailand to the UK: the country is being added to the UK’s red list. The British Department of Transport says that from Monday, Thailand joins Montenegro as the 2 new additions to the UK government’s red list. This means UK residents arriving home from Thailand will be subject to 10 days of mandatory hotel quarantine, while non-residents will not be permitted to travel. “Thailand and Montenegro will be added to the red list from 4am on Monday, August 30, 2021.” The Bangkok […]

The post Thailand to be added to UK “red list” from Monday appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sandbox looking less and less attractive.

The Germans won't come as Simon's Cabaret is shut, the Brits won't come as it's in a red zone.

What to do, what to do...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Bad news for British sandboxers on Phuket or elsewhere, as well as anyone else planning to travel from Thailand to the UK: the country is being added to the UK’s red list. The British Department of Transport says that from Monday, Thailand joins Montenegro as the 2 new additions to the UK government’s red list. This means UK residents arriving home from Thailand will be subject to 10 days of mandatory hotel quarantine, while non-residents will not be permitted to travel. “Thailand and Montenegro will be added to the red list from 4am on Monday, August 30, 2021.” The Bangkok […]

The post Thailand to be added to UK “red list” from Monday appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I believe Thailand has been on the EU red list since mid-July.  Possibly the EU market is bigger than the UK market, no?  Also in a lot of EU countries, hotel quarantine has to be 14 days.

Edited by Storm
  • Like 1

Does that mean all the British people currently on a two week Puckett sandbox holiday are going to have to pay 2250 quid for a ten day quarantine when they get back ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Does that mean all the British people currently on a two week Puckett sandbox holiday are going to have to pay 2250 quid for a ten day quarantine when they get back ? 

Yes, unless they cut short their holiday to get back before Monday.

A similar thing happened when the U.K. rules changed and a race to get back from Spain ensued.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

the country is being added to the UK’s red list.

The Brits have p*ssed in the sandbox then .. TaT are gonna earn their corn trying spin a way out of this .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp
  • Haha 1

The potential UK tourists suffer, the Thai people suffer, the Thai economy suffers but there's no guessing who will not suffer.

Prayut et al are bringing the Kingdom of Thailand to its knees and beyond with his dithering and blatant incompetence. Shame on you !!!

• Like 3

Imagine you go back home and have to spend another 10 days in quarantine. I can see all Brits running to Phuket airport now, screaming "Never again, mate" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Imagine you go back home and have to spend another 10 days in quarantine. I can see all Brits running to Phuket airport now, screaming "Never again, mate" 

They're probably scrambling trying to get a taxi back to Bangkok.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

So in a nutshell ...

Until all countries are vaccinated travel is going to be a complete lottery and at best a monumental pain ou la derriere!

Edited by poohy
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Guevara said:

The potential UK tourists suffer, the Thai people suffer, the Thai economy suffers but there's no guessing who will not suffer.

Prayut et al are bringing the Kingdom of Thailand to its knees and beyond with his dithering and blatant incompetence. Shame on you !!!

Why is the Baht holding up so well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

most likely...so a two week holiday on thailand are actually six weeks...at first 2 week bkk asq 60000 bhat ...after enjoy your holiday....tgan back home another 14 day in a hotel ( i guess a asq in london is more costly than in thailand )

3 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

Why is the Baht holding up so well?

Now that is a very good question. I simply can not understand what is going on with the baht. It seems any slightly positive news moves it up, and day after day of negative sentiment does it no harm. To be fair, it has fallen 10% over the past year, but it’s already back up 2% this week. Only positive news I’ve seen is Covid case numbers falling slightly. Very odd. Mind you, the Baht is on the US watch list for manipulation. Maybe it needs to be watched closer? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

Yes! Unless they return before the 4am cut off on the 30th. UK time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sputnik said:

i guess a asq in london is more costly than in thailand

The costs are as follows and only recently (August 12th) were increased to these prices :

£2,285 for a solo traveller and £1,430 for the second person. This includes meals, transportation and two PCR tests. So for a single person that around 100,000 baht and for a couple 165,000 baht. Should you have to extend your stay due to a positive test result you will not be charged extra.

You are going to need a very good reason to travel to Thailand. You will also need to buy Thai Covid insurance as I believe all U.K. insurance will be invalid and most likely will not be issued, hence application for COE will be a problem. 

This link answers the questions 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and-staying-in-a-quarantine-hotel-when-you-arrive-in-england

• Like 3

Well this is going to kill off another lucrative income stream.

It is also not a vote of confidence in the Thai government, and their handling of the COVID-19  crisis. By default, it is another nail in the coffin of the Sandbox. 

Rearrange the following:

Brewery, organise, piss up,  a,  in, couldn't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Now that is a very good question. I simply can not understand what is going on with the baht. It seems any slightly positive news moves it up, and day after day of negative sentiment does it no harm. To be fair, it has fallen 10% over the past year, but it’s already back up 2% this week. Only positive news I’ve seen is Covid case numbers falling slightly. Very odd. Mind you, the Baht is on the US watch list for manipulation. Maybe it needs to be watched closer? 

We’ve been here many times - currency strength is largely based on cash (dollars) in reserve. Thailand has lots of it, more than Germany or the U.K. and only sat behind the big hitters. This makes the currency strong. 

The fact that Thailand should be burning through this cash pile vaccinating it’s people is of course another argument. 

There are 3 tests you must fail before currency manipulation sanctions are likely - Thailand regularly fails 2 of them but passes the other, just. They have been sailing close to the wind for many years now but they’re getting away with it. 

Edited by Benroon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

We’ve been here many times - currency strength is largely based on cash (dollars) in reserve. Thailand has lots of it, more than Germany or the U.K. and only sat behind the big hitters. This makes the currency strong. 

The fact that Thailand should be burning through this cash pile vaccinating it’s people is of course another argument. 

Yes I agree it’s the currency reserves propping it up. That said, recent reports in the BKK Post from an independent economist suggested they have been burning through those reserves. Surely it makes sense to use reserves rather than borrowing and paying interest (within reason). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Well this is going to kill off another lucrative income stream.

It is also not a vote of confidence in the Thai government, and their handling of the COVID-19  crisis. By default, it is another nail in the coffin of the Sandbox. 

Rearrange the following:

Brewery, organise, piss up,  a,  in, couldn't. 

The timing of this announcement is odd if you take the Thai data on Covid. Over the past week, the official indication is cases are stabilising and even falling. Consideration is being given to easing restrictions. Either the U.K. don’t believe that data, or they believe the strategy of handling the pandemic going forward will be a problem. It could also be that it’s based on data from 10 days ago when cases were increasing. If it is the latter, then we could see Thailand back on the Amber list shortly? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You are going to need a very good reason to travel to Thailand. 

Good info Soidog but I don’t understand that bit. As long as you are doing your quarantines and paying the rip off ASQ prices (both ends) I can’t see why anyone would care. 

IMO Thailand is now red and with the current clueless generals chasing their own arses for answers, I think it will stay red for a very long time! 

Such a pity for anyone or familys from the u.k that now maybe have to cut short their stay in Thailand. I just read about returning to the u.k from Thailand on the u.k govt web site, not a pretty picture for anyone after monday sad to say. If  i had to return anywhere i would choose Turkey, at this time you can enter Turkey with a test 72hrs prior to travel or proof of vaccination with no quarantine time, and most things are open as usual, would be better than paying 2000-3000GBP just until the heat dies down,3 months cheap vacation (extendable) cheap accomodation, food and healthcare, short term seems like a plan to me, and only 3hrs flying back to the u.k.

Just a thought only IF i had to return/leave now for any sudden reasons. I am sure things will change for the better in the near future for everyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stuhan said:

Such a pity for anyone or familys from the u.k that now maybe have to cut short their stay in Thailand. I just read about returning to the u.k from Thailand on the u.k govt web site, not a pretty picture for anyone after monday sad to say. If  i had to return anywhere i would choose Turkey, at this time you can enter Turkey with a test 72hrs prior to travel or proof of vaccination with no quarantine time, and most things are open as usual, would be better than paying 2000-3000GBP just until the heat dies down,3 months cheap vacation (extendable) cheap accomodation, food and healthcare, short term seems like a plan to me, and only 3hrs flying back to the u.k.

Just a thought only IF i had to return/leave now for any sudden reasons. I am sure things will change for the better in the near future for everyone.

Just been looking at the entry requirements for Turkey 

• Cool 1