News Forum - First vaccine dose administered to nearly 90% of Bangkok residents

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

The problem isn't whether the "90%" is true or not.

It could well be true given i) the number of vaccine doses previously confirmed as received by the Chinese and US embassies (twice the number of doses the CCSA said had been given out), ii) that 90% of the rest of the country have not yet been vaccinated, and iii) if the same criteria as Phuket is used for "population", excluding those under 18 (around 17%) and not migrant / transient workers not registered as resident (around a third).

That would mean 90% of only half those in Bangkok, so only 45% of the real population.

The problem isn't whether it's true or not, though, or whether it's 90% or 45%.

They can still carry and transmit the virus, vaccinated or not, and a number will still be hospitalised and die.

The problem is what's done as a result:

Will restrictions be lifted, along with the Emergency Decree, so the government can declare "victory" and life return to "normal" before numbers soar?

Or will the government want to keep a lid on protests instead, and keep the Emergency Decree, bans on gatherings, and a curfew?

Interesting times .....

Before they said 87% of "the population". But that is absolutely factually incorrect, same as the 90% they claim now.

Because "the population" is the total, incl. children.

That would mean that they have vaccinated lots of children under 18 already too which is not the case.

Even 87% or 90% of the "adult population" is difficult to believe.

But maybe that's why they only ever give us a figure without any explanation or evidence?

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 10.17.41.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I was part of probably the first 10% of Bangkok to get registered. Now I'm part of the last 10% to actually get the vaccine? 😂

The first figure I believe. The second I doubt. I don't think they're anywhere near 90%. See ⬆️

On 8/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, PompeyLlama said:

Sorry but with all the vaccine shortages in Thailand, I find this very hard to believe. 

Not all governments are looking out for the best interests of their citizens. Many countries have been caught up in political scandals and corruption.

Thailand has fallen another three places in the annual Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) published this week by Transparency International.

The country ranked 104th among 180 countries surveyed, down from 101st a year earlier, with an overall score of 36 out of 100.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2059715/thailand-falls-3-places-in-corruption-table

Is it the Government this time …. spreading false and misleading information

But remember … you can mislead by figures …. Is it the 90% of the population of Bangkok city, 10 million people or 90% of the population of the province of Bangkok, 5 million people? Massive difference there.

35 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Not all governments are looking out for the best interests of their citizens. Many countries have been caught up in political scandals and corruption.

Thailand has fallen another three places in the annual Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) published this week by Transparency International.

The country ranked 104th among 180 countries surveyed, down from 101st a year earlier, with an overall score of 36 out of 100.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2059715/thailand-falls-3-places-in-corruption-table

But remember … you can mislead by figures …. Is it the 90% of the population of Bangkok city, 10 million people or 90% of the population of the province of Bangkok, 5 million people? Massive difference there.

Either way they said for August they would only have 5 million vaccines and you can't double vaccine people in a month. 

When I get my second vaccination it will be just over two months since my first. 

3 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

True ☺️ but that doesn't matter in this case. "The population" is the total incl. children, so they will never have done 90% of that.

Maybe they meant 90% of adult Bangkok staff in hi-so bars?

I suggested already that one of the reasons that they just dump one figure without explanation (same as what they do with tests) may be that they know full well that the one figure makes it impossible to prove. 

A bit like the unscientific technique in the CCC section here 🤣

But I also wonder why the press don't find out. This is not a state secret.

10 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

If the world believed them Thailand would not have been put on UK red list.

I think I recall reading the UK put them on the red list and specifically mentioned the low extent of vaccination.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

I think I recall reading the UK put them on the red list and specifically mentioned the low extent of vaccination.

Yes that's right and also the possibility of mutations to the virus because of the low vaccine rate.

So 90% of Bangkok being vaccinated is a bit hard to believe.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Yes that's right and also the possibility of mutations to the virus because of the low vaccine rate.

So 90% of Bangkok being vaccinated is a bit hard to believe.

Still a lot of work at hand.

Let's not celebrate any true/false claims.

What about the rest of the country?

Screw BKK and it's environs.