News Forum - Phuket Covid-19 over 3000 total, nearly 900 this week, 189 today

Thaiger

Today’s Covid-19 numbers in Phuket push the overall total above 3000, bring the weekly total to just about 900 (10 times the original threshold for reevaluating the Phuket Sandbox), and sets yet another daily record. 189 new domestic cases of Covid-19 were reported yesterday, making the count for 6 of the last 7 days over 100 infections. 3 new Sandbox infections were found in international travellers. After yesterday’s record of 156 new infections pushed the 7-day Covid-19 total in Phuket to just on the verge of 800, today’s total surpassed the previous record by 33 and brought the 7-day totals […]

The post Phuket Covid-19 over 3000 total, nearly 900 this week, 189 today appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Think they need to start giving info on which vaccines if any the infected in each category had. The amount of vaccinated people in hospital with serious symptoms not just enforced isolation. Again then state which vaccines if any these people have had.

I should be holidaying there right now but the forced isolation of the lady with no symptoms on that Emirates flight put me off.

The west is moving to a no isolation policy for vaccininated public contacts now but this only seems to be possible with the most effective vaccines here which themselves are not 100%

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Anto501 said:

Think they need to start giving info on which vaccines if any the infected in each category had. The amount of vaccinated people in hospital with serious symptoms not just enforced isolation. Again then state which vaccines if any these people have had.

I should be holidaying there right now but the forced isolation of the lady with no symptoms on that Emirates flight put me off.

The west is moving to a no isolation policy for vaccininated public contacts now but this only seems to be possible with the most effective vaccines here which themselves are not 100%

I agree completely, at least they could also start a study on the effectiveness of the Sinovac they jabbed folks with and then many should be coming up on their second AZ jab.  Very condensed location to perform an efficacy study in my view.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

25 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

According to the local Som Tam Queen we had 20 cases Tuesday in Rawai but I cant find any link to support that,

Latest figures that list Rawai say 79 total - not sure what period that covers though.

• Rawai - 79 (+2)

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-covid-cases-hit-new-high-189-on-one-day-81182.php

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

According to the local Som Tam Queen we had 20 cases Tuesday in Rawai but I cant find any link to support that,

@Lowseasonlover 

https://www.facebook.com/prphuket2018 

is the best place to get the up to date information. There is a daily map picture of Phuket that gives each province. Lots of info there but you will need to use google translate to assist you at times. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

If you look on phuket news site they put it there daily with numbers intact area and 7 day rolling week to..

• Cool 1

In fairness the "tourists" that come are fully vaccinated and most get found if they have covid from the testing program they have to go through.. most are staying in patong although not all .. in patong every hotel,  bar, restaurant, massage parlour, shops have to have minimum 70% vaccinated and most I personally know have 100% vaccinated. the covid totals in patong have been in the 130's total for a good few weeks now.. most of these new cases are in thai areas where many don't want the vaccine or only had 1 jab. you can see from vaccination figures that they certainly have not achieved the 70% herd immunity over the whole island. but looks like they have in patong! I was one that said they shouldn't have opened so early and mentioned many times they not vaccinated enough here but again it seems OK in patong how long for we will see 

• Cool 1

9 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

you can see from vaccination figures that they certainly have not achieved the 70% herd immunity over the whole island. but looks like they have in patong!

And the governor of Phuket wants a third Jab. Looks like he is not confident of herd immunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

And the governor of Phuket wants a third Jab. Looks like he is not confident of herd immunity.

Yes he's requested 470k for booster jabs.  so that's sort of confirmation that around 470k is 70%.. but the latest figures show they only vaccinated 428k 1st dose and around 360k second dose!  that's not reached the 70% they said for opening the sandbox ! Even I'm waiting for my second jab now in October! 

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Even I'm waiting for my second jab now in October! 

You better hope Phuket doesn’t get put in the Red Zone, as you would then not be able to go eat at a restaurant, with the rumoured CCSA rules to come. Keep safe out there @Malc-Thai

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

18 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Majority of us vaccinated month ago with Sinovac + Half life of 40 days = slow moving train wreck. Let's hope he gets his wish and procures an mRNA booster. But, I think there is a lack of goodwill towards Phuket domestically and low political appetite for championing that. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

But, I think there is a lack of goodwill towards Phuket domestically and low political appetite for championing that. 

Yes, handled badly at all political levels. We all know where the 3rd shots will go first (after those that went to medical staff). 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes he's requested 470k for booster jabs.  so that's sort of confirmation that around 470k is 70%.. but the latest figures show they only vaccinated 428k 1st dose and around 360k second dose!  that's not reached the 70% they said for opening the sandbox ! Even I'm waiting for my second jab now in October! 

4 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Majority of us vaccinated month ago with Sinovac + Half life of 40 days = slow moving train wreck. Let's hope he gets his wish and procures an mRNA booster. But, I think there is a lack of goodwill towards Phuket domestically and low political appetite for championing that. 

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

So much for the 90 cases per week threshold….

4 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Yes, handled badly at all political levels. We all know where the 3rd shots will go first (after those that went to medical staff). 

Technically, 75% of the population needs to be vaccinated 2-3 weeks before you open up.

Because the vaccine will only work fully 2-3 weeks after the second dose.

And I say 75%, because the 70% that is usually mentioned is for the adult population. If you count the total population, you need to adjust the figure.

Clearly, not 75% of the population was vaccinated 2-3 weeks before opening. Disaster guaranteed as we've seen.

That's why Chiang Mai and other locations can not open up on 1 October as that means 75% has to be double vaccinated by mid September at the latest, which is an absolute impossibility. Even publishing flights there from mid-September is a huge blunder.

And then we're not even talking about the fact that these  areas are not islands and it's impossible to limit people's movement to specific areas.

Opening other areas too soon is a gigantic error.

First you vaccinate. Then you plan. Not the other way around.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Technically, 75% of the population needs to be vaccinated 2-3 weeks before you open up.

Because the vaccine will only work fully 2-3 weeks after the second dose.

And I say 75%, because the 70% that is usually mentioned is for the adult population. If you count the total population, you need to adjust the figure.

Clearly, not 75% of the population was vaccinated 2-3 weeks before opening. Disaster guaranteed as we've seen.

That's why Chiang Mai and other locations can not open up on 1 October as that means 75% has to be double vaccinated by mid September at the latest, which is an absolute impossibility. Even publishing flights there from mid-September is a huge blunder.

And then we're not even talking about the fact that these  areas are not islands and it's impossible to limit people's movement to specific areas.

Opening other areas too soon is a gigantic error.

First you vaccinate. Then you plan. Not the other way around.

All of your points are valid but miss out on one element: The current situation has nothing to do with tourists.

This entire wave is home-grown and the introduction of several thousand vaccinated foreign tourists and vaccinated returning Thais per week is not going to have much of an effect on either the locals or the tourists. The only issue for the arrivals is minimizing the risk during the first 14 days while you're being tested. That's easy enough to accomplish: Don't do stupid s#!t. Sure, there's a risk. But everything carries a risk.

• Like 4

Planning and preparation, prevents, piss poor performance!

SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY GOT LOST IN TRANSLATION.

90 cases in one week, allegedly, results in reconsideration of the Sandbox continuing.

900 cases, equals, we will consider lifting restrictions. 

Very reassuring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unfortunatly

Entering England during coronavirus

Red, amber, green lists: check the rules for travel to England from abroad

Page summary:
Countries listed as red, amber or green for coronavirus (COVID-19) and the rules you must follow for travel to England.

Change made:
Montenegro and Thailand will move to the red list 4am Monday 30 August.

8 minutes ago, JamesE said:

All of your points are valid but miss out on one element: The current situation has nothing to do with tourists.

This entire wave is home-grown and the introduction of several thousand vaccinated foreign tourists and vaccinated returning Thais per week is not going to have much of an effect on either the locals or the tourists. The only issue for the arrivals is minimizing the risk during the first 14 days while you're being tested. That's easy enough to accomplish: Don't do stupid s#!t. Sure, there's a risk. But everything carries a risk.

That's very true James. Yet introducing tourists at the very least incites movement and mingling (even whilst they are in quarantine, while they arrive, workers at airport, transport, hotels and catering) which we exactly don't want while the figure is clearly still below 75%. I doubt whether the weekly figure would be above 900 if they hadn't opened up, but that's just an opinion.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It would be very nice if they gave the locations of where the cases are.  I know that I live in BKK now, but I lived in Rawai and am looking at moving back by the end of the year.  Many friends who live there as well as in Chalong are concerned as well as it affects their livelihoods in the Muay Thai business as well.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1