News Forum - Phuket SHA+ accommodations told to closely watch groups such as older people, women travelling by themselves, single men

Thaiger

Accommodations that have the SHA+ certification are being told to closely watch Phuket Sandbox Tourists who are old, feeble, women travelling by themselves, girls, or single men, as the island seeks to increase security for travellers coming to the Sandbox. It was not immediately clear if the designation “single” in “single men” referred to their relationship status or if it meant men travelling alone. Thanet Sukchai, the Phuket Immigration Superintendent announced the watchdog decision at a meeting at Phuket Provincial Police headquarters in Phuket Town, Yesterday. Thanet says that SHA+  managers must keep a close eye on these risk groups […]

The post Phuket SHA+ accommodations told to closely watch groups such as older people, women travelling by themselves, single men appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

“single men”

Are they insinuating that single men who travel Thailand might have a risky behavior in some way? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Right!  Too bad you can pick up several  media source's  through the years and read  that this is a cycle and has been repeated many times in the past.  How will there be a change really, when the overall goal is income?  I've said it before they made a movie in the 1970s titled "JAWS," the city planners wanted mony and fore went safety at first, all in the name of tourism.  The only solution  was to stop the threat... whats Phukets plan to stop continuing threats like tis?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

This will make people more than ever not want to go to Phuket. Single men? Huh? Yeah so it is ok for little Robbie or Becky to go out alone because they still are not adults, and even better that they are not quite teenagers the ones who cause problems.

No one wants to be traced, tracked or monitored. If I was planning on visiting before, not it is surely I'm out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Welcome to Phuket

Don't get Covid

Don't get murdered

Don't get scammed

Enjoy!

Sounds like a combination of Hotel California meets Welcome to the pleasure dome.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

... Sandbox Tourists who are old, feeble, women travelling by themselves, girls, or single men ...

Apart from young married couples with children, who else is there?

I did not travel back to Puhket because there are no direct flights. Information is not clear enough if a transit via BKK would have been possible. The whole 14 days vaccinated thing is also a problem.

But the worst thing is that none of this seems to be working. In the west you can travel freely, SEA is completely locked down and COVID is spreading.  Anyway it is what is is :/

Good luck with the Puhket Sandbox 🙈

Edited by Ynwaps
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

I did not travel back to Puhket because there are no direct flights. Information is not clear enough if a transit via BKK would have been possible. The whole 14 days vaccinated thing is also a problem.

But the worst thing is that none of this seems to be working. In the west you can travel freely, SEA is completely locked down and COVID is spreading.  Anyway it is what is is :/

Good luck with the Puhket Sandbox 🙈

Yes, poor old Phuket and its sandbox difficulties!   And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Ynwaps and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

hmm

If you had 2 single men travelling together i think authorities would have a meltdown

Just re read list it sort of encompasses most people travelling

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a little lost in translation - another site has the quote as:

“Phuket is another destination that tourists decide to travel to. As a result, the province has raised security levels to build confidence for tourists in Phuket Sandbox,” he added.

“The Phuket Governor had previously ordered the relevant agencies to inspect 198 tourist attractions throughout Phuket in detail, and we have found two high-risk tourist sites which have now been ordered closed, by closing both the entrance [to the sites] and removing the tourist attractions’ listings on the internet. If people search the internet, the location of these areas will not be found,” he said.

Col Thanet did not mention which tourist attractions had been closed.

“Meanwhile, 26 more moderate and low-risk areas were identified,” Col Thanet continued.

“Modifications are to be made to these sites, with landscape adjustments, increased lighting, trees being removed and having volunteers increase the frequency of patrols, as well as local local authorities setting up the budget for installing more CCTV cameras in the areas that will be linked to the EOC Phuket Sandbox Center,” he said.

“People arriving via the checkpoint at Tha Chatchai must go through a thorough criminal history check in order to intercept individuals with outstanding warrants from entering the province. Pol Lt Gen Kitirat Phanphet, Provincial Police Region 8 commander, has donated smart card readers to officers to help speed up the checks,” he added.

“For tourists traveling through Phuket International Airport, Phuket Immigration will designate tourists who are likely to become victims into four groups, consisting of elderly-sick people, women traveling alone, girls and single men. SHA Plus managers must closely monitor these risk groups for maximum safety of tourists,” he repeated.

• Cool 1

If Thailiand wants to preserve the "sandbox" then there must be direct travel to Phuket from othe "safe" countries. No stopovers in BKK to pick up Delta and spread it to the island's population. HO is vaccination going in Phuket now??

are being told to closely watch Phuket Sandbox Tourists who are old, feeble, women travelling by themselves, girls, or single....

Learned by the Boys over at Ko Tao.....hot girls in bikinis preferred....drunk and solo travelers

Tuk Tuk drivers agree with said policy...

13 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

What about un vaccinated Thai's?

You think too much!  Thai people are perfect in every way..they dont need vaccines--its those dirty vaccinated farangs that we need to worry about, and make sure they bring cash to fix our economy that we broke....

Jai yen yen...sabai sabai! mai pen rai--now you go get deluxe VIP massage and then do for boat ride..$$$$

Edited by PapayaBokBok

13 hours ago, poohy said:

If you had 2 single men travelling together

ladyboys and bargirls fight over who get to them first......(catfight ensues)

12 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

It's a little lost in translation - another site has the quote as:

“Phuket is another destination that tourists decide to travel to. As a result, the province has raised security levels to build confidence for tourists in Phuket Sandbox,” he added.

“The Phuket Governor had previously ordered the relevant agencies to inspect 198 tourist attractions throughout Phuket in detail, and we have found two high-risk tourist sites which have now been ordered closed, by closing both the entrance [to the sites] and removing the tourist attractions’ listings on the internet. If people search the internet, the location of these areas will not be found,” he said.

“Meanwhile, 26 more moderate and low-risk areas were identified,” Col Thanet continued.

“Modifications are to be made to these sites, with landscape adjustments, increased lighting, trees being removed and having volunteers increase the frequency of patrols, as well as local local authorities setting up the budget for installing more CCTV cameras in the areas that will be linked to the EOC Phuket Sandbox Center,” he said.

“People arriving via the checkpoint at Tha Chatchai must go through a thorough criminal history check in order to intercept individuals with outstanding warrants from entering the province. Pol Lt Gen Kitirat Phanphet, Provincial Police Region 8 commander, has donated smart card readers to officers to help speed up the checks,” he added.

“For tourists traveling through Phuket International Airport, Phuket Immigration will designate tourists who are likely to become victims into four groups, consisting of elderly-sick people, women traveling alone, girls and single men. SHA Plus managers must closely monitor these risk groups for maximum safety of tourists,” he repeated.

The irony is that once you make arrangements to go to the "sandbox", you are already being victimized. 

1 hour ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

The irony is that once you make arrangements to go to the "sandbox", you are already being victimized. 

I'm still not onboard with this narrative but then I've never considered myself a victim. If I go in knowing the costs, the process, the rules, and the risks; how does that victimize me? I want to go visit my SO's family. I can jump through all the hoops and do AQ in BKK or I can jump through those same hoops (plus scheduling my own tests), go to Phuket, stay in a nicer place, blast around the island, eat at different restaurants AND fly to BKK when I'm done for about the same price as AQ. Seems like a win-win to me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

watch Phuket Sandbox Tourists who are old, feeble, women travelling by themselves, girls, or single men,

It's...

1) "old, feeble women traveling by themselves"

2) "girls"

3) "single men"

They just used one comma too many. 😉

13 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

So, not like the lockdowns, pre-announcing them and allowing everyone to escape or to have a last party night before it starts? Looks like they're slowly learning 😉

Are we sure they didn't print discount coupons for these attractions, with the name and exact location, and hand them out to tourists on arrival though? 😂

• Cool 1