News Forum - UNICEF says ongoing closure of schools is affecting child development

Thaiger

The United Nations Children’s Fund says many young children are missing the milestone of their first day at school as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. According to a Bangkok Post report, UNICEF says ongoing school closures risk harming children’s development and mental health. UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore says countless children have already missed out on months of face-to-face teaching as a result of schools across Thailand being closed. The closures were prompted by the resurgence of Covid-19 earlier in this year, in what turned out to be the worst wave to hit Thailand since the start of the […]

The post UNICEF says ongoing closure of schools is affecting child development appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Many of us would say the ongoing low quality of the curriculum, the lack of preparedness on the part of the teachers, and the inability of the students to question the teachers, is a far greater problem than the issues pertaining to Covid.

Some might even go so far as to argue it is benefitting the students, and helping their mental health, by being away from these schools and the relatively incompetent teachers for awhile! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The United Nations Children’s Fund says many young children are missing the milestone of their first day at school as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. According to a Bangkok Post report, UNICEF says ongoing school closures risk harming children’s development and mental health

Ya think? I see the harm with it everyday of my kids not being able to go study. Might be that some governments like it because it is the dulling of a population.

3 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Many of us would say the ongoing low quality of the curriculum, the lack of preparedness on the part of the teachers, and the inability of the students to question the teachers, is a far greater problem than the issues pertaining to Covid.

And they still raised tuition! Sat behind my kid to watch him learn online. No joke the teacher taught not just one class of 30 students but the entire grade level 200+ watched the teacher teach

• Like 1

As Thailand is in the grip of the Delta strain, which is highly contagious and kills across the age spectrum, I hardly think congregating Children in schools to infect each other and then their families, is a good idea. Of course this varies across Thailand. Some provinces are "red" zones. In these provinces, where the delta strain is most prevalent, it is unwise to congregate children. In areas where there is much less prevalence, school is still possible and most certainly to be encouraged to maintain a sense of normality. There is no countrywide solution, only a solution for each province. It is the same in my country.   

Schools in Europe started again after the summer holidays and many closed again the day after as tests on the pupils showed many positives.

We can not wish this pandemic away folks.

Respect the restrictions to limit the spread and get vaccinated and then still be careful because lots of others have not yet been jabbed.

Don't whine about your massage or bar etc. Show some responsibility and self-control. Everyone taking liberties is guilty of worsening and extending the problem. 

The greatest priority is vaccination, with whatever vaccine is available to each person. I can only urge the people of Thailand to take whatever vaccine is available to them. It will always be better than nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

The greatest priority is vaccination, with whatever vaccine is available to each person. I can only urge the people of Thailand to take whatever vaccine is available to them. It will always be better than nothing. 

Respectfully but wholeheartedly and completely DISAGREE...

7 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Some might even go so far as to argue it is benefitting the students, and helping their mental health, by being away from these schools and the relatively incompetent teachers for awhile! 

Or...all these fabricated issues of development might be reflective of the particular culture and social order. 

46 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Schools in Europe started again after the summer holidays and many closed again the day after as tests on the pupils showed many positives.

We can not wish this pandemic away folks.

Respect the restrictions to limit the spread and get vaccinated and then still be careful because lots of others have not yet been jabbed.

Don't whine about your massage or bar etc. Show some responsibility and self-control. Everyone taking liberties is guilty of worsening and extending the problem. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

As Thailand is in the grip of the Delta strain, which is highly contagious and kills across the age spectrum, I hardly think congregating Children in schools to infect each other and then their families, is a good idea. Of course this varies across Thailand. Some provinces are "red" zones. In these provinces, where the delta strain is most prevalent, it is unwise to congregate children. In areas where there is much less prevalence, school is still possible and most certainly to be encouraged to maintain a sense of normality. There is no countrywide solution, only a solution for each province. It is the same in my country.   

It seems as if individuals think that this pandemic has it in for them personally.

Why can't I go to the bar?

Why can't I go to the massage?

Why can't I go to school?

Or my favourite: Time to disrespect the rules, because it's taken long enough already!

As long as people sit too close together, wear their mask on their chin, cough and sneeze all over the place and disregard all other advice, this is not going to get much better.

Sure education for kids is important. But as I said yesterday, in 1942 after 2 years of war people were fed up as well. But it doesn't go away because you wish it!

Stick to the rules. Get the numbers down. Don't travel unnecessarily. You're not "clever" if you find the backroad and avoid a check-point, but you're an idiot.  Meanwhile take a jab as soon as offered. And even when double jabbed, stay careful because lots of others are not jabbed yet.

Why are there still people who don't know this after 18 months?

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4175-news-forum-unicef-says-ongoing-closure-of-schools-is-affecting-child-development/?do=findComment&comment=44025

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/3900-vietjet-to-launch-4-direct-cross-country-routes-from-september/?do=findComment&comment=43817

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4164-news-forum-bangkok-sandbox-open-businesses-to-vaccinated-customers/?do=findComment&comment=43630

2 hours ago, TanaJ said:

Teachers are more at risk than children in many aspects.

In general, everybody is important, not just children.

Fair comment, for sure and thanks for this, your debut post.

Hello, TanaJ and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

16 hours ago, TanaJ said:

Teachers are more at risk than children in many aspects.

In general, everybody is important, not just children.

If anything (at the risk of being ostracized for saying this) children are given far too much importance and prioritization, in the grand scheme of things. After all, they are just little people. 

7 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

If anything (at the risk of being ostracized for saying this) children are given far too much importance and prioritization, in the grand scheme of things. After all, they are just little people. 

Those little people will grow up and eventually be World leaders . 

We need to get the younger generation educated and to fully attend schools and education to University levels , so they can gain enough intelligence to rule the World in the future , just like Biden and Trump did.

• Like 1