News Forum - Record 156 Covid-19 infections as Phuket edges near 800 a week

Thaiger

29 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

As usual, not enough details. How many amongst the total, were incoming international tourists? From what I have heard, a very low percentage.

This is shown on the daily graphic, which is on government Thai language facebook pages.  Unfortunately the English language news is not very good at digging out this information and putting it in their English language articles.   Further, most expats don't make the effort to check the Thai language pages (using a browser such as Chrome to help in the translation to one's native language).

What I noted from the government Facebook page (on same day as the 189 new cases) was, for 25-August-2021 there were 3 new sandbox cases.  Thus far a total of 73 box cases of infected people from the Phuket Sandbox.

14 hours ago, Guevara said:

Population approx 70 million. Tests undertaken 8 million plus (or 116,000 per million). Hardly scratching the surface is it. Bit like an iceberg. Technically Prayat could be accused of mass involuntary manslaughter as a result of his complacency and incompetence with his so called vaccine roll out.

Well I've read some garbage today but this must take the biscuit. Well done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

This is shown on the daily graphic, which is on government Thai language facebook pages.  Unfortunately the English language news is not very good at digging out this information and putting it in their English language articles.   Further, most expats don't make the effort to check the Thai language pages (using a browser such as Chrome to help in the translation to one's native language).

What I noted from the government Facebook page (on same day as the 189 new cases) was, for 25-August-2021 there were 3 new sandbox cases.  Thus far a total of 73 box cases of infected people from the Phuket Sandbox.

Thank you for that clarification. So, what percentage of the total cases does that represent? And how many of the sandbox cases were caught from local, infected Thai, or Burmese workers?

4 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

And how many of the sandbox cases were caught from local, infected Thai, or Burmese workers?

I don't know if even the local authorities know that for certain, although given the sandbox travelers are required to be tracked, one would hope the authorities have a good chance to figure that out with a reasonable probably of being correct.

6 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

So, what percentage of the total cases does that represent? 

In response to this question - my calculations ....

On a daily total basis, there were 189-local new cases reported in Phuket, and 3-new Sandbox travelers reported in Phuket.  189+3=192.  So the 3-new Sandbox traveler cases is 3% of the daily total.

If one instead looks back to 1-July-2021 when I believe the Sandbox 'officially' opened to international travelers.  From local news media, on 1-July there were 739 total since 1-April.   Reported today (26-August there were 3,070 local cases reported since 1-April).  3070 - 739 = 3031 new local cases since 1-July by my calculation.

There were 73 international traveler Sandbox cases reported since 1-July.   So 3031 + 73 = 3104.  By my calculation 73 of 3031 means about 2.4% is the percent Sandbox cases relative to the total Sandbox traveler plus local Phuket cases since the Sandbox opened

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

14 hours ago, oldcpu said:

In response to this question - my calculations ....

On a daily total basis, there were 189-local new cases reported in Phuket, and 3-new Sandbox travelers reported in Phuket.  189+3=192.  So the 3-new Sandbox traveler cases is 3% of the daily total.

If one instead looks back to 1-July-2021 when I believe the Sandbox 'officially' opened to international travelers.  From local news media, on 1-July there were 739 total since 1-April.   Reported today (26-August there were 3,070 local cases reported since 1-April).  3070 - 739 = 3031 new local cases since 1-July by my calculation.

There were 73 international traveler Sandbox cases reported since 1-July.   So 3031 + 73 = 3104.  By my calculation 73 of 3031 means about 2.4% is the percent Sandbox cases relative to the total Sandbox traveler plus local Phuket cases since the Sandbox opened

I rest my case, your honor. As stated, the local Thais are the real zombies in this equation, and the international tourists are the ones taking the real risk by coming here, and should be applauded for such. With the growing numbers, not sure if there is ANY reason for ANY restrictions on incoming tourists, at this time.

Let my people go! Let them spend money. Let them have fun. Let them take their chances. Do not pretend THEY are the danger. 

The real question is, are there any adults in the room, when it comes to leadership and making decisions here?

Edited by dmacarelli

2 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

I rest my case, your honor. As stated, the local Thais are the real zombies in this equation, and the international tourists are the ones taking the real risk by coming here, and should be applauded for such. With the growing numbers, not sure if there is ANY reason for ANY restrictions on incoming tourists, at this time.

Let my people go! Let them spend money. Let them have fun. Let them take their chances. Do not pretend THEY are the danger. 

The real question is, are there any adults in the room, when it comes to leadership and making decisions here?

3% of the daily total you say, but what is the percentage of tourists with the virus as a percentage of the total number of tourists visiting Phuket?

I am assuming it is lot higher than in most vaccinated countries in the West. 

England is about to put Thailand on the red list meaning people returning from Thailand will have to stay in an expensive quarantine hotel when they get back for two weeks so that will put off tourists from here of course.

Plus you have to do the following. 

Before you travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

When you arrive in England

When you arrive in England you must: