News Forum - Blood donations desperately needed for Phuket ex-pat

Thaiger

The Phuket Regional Blood Center is in dire need of blood donations after it was learned a local long-term ex-pat cannot have open-heart surgery without the donations. 87 year old Peter Ferry, who is originally from Glasgow, Scotland told the Phuket News today that he is currently at Bangkok Hospital Phuket waiting for people to donate blood so he can have the surgery. Peter’s blood type is B negative, which is so rare that less than 2% of the population has this blood type. He can only take blood donations from blood givers who have blood types B- or O-. […]

The post Blood donations desperately needed for Phuket ex-pat appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 hours ago, Alain said:

I’ve learned in school that blood type 0 is a universal donor. I’m 0 positive. Tell me if i can be useful 

Apparently you need to be O - to match the guys blood type, as you are O + you're almost certainly not a potential donor.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

O positive blood as mentioned in  another comment is not a universal donor.

O negative blood is the only universal donor.

Your heart was in the right place.

Kudos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chameleon said:

O positive blood as mentioned in  another comment is not a universal donor.

O negative blood is the only universal donor.

Your heart was in the right place.

Kudos.

Hearts in right places, indeed! And thanks for this, your debut post!

Hello, Chameleon and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

18 hours ago, Alain said:

I’ve learned in school that blood type 0 is a universal donor. I’m 0 positive. Tell me if i can be useful 

You're always useful!

If not to this specific man, then to someone else!

Donate.

As Type B- I tried to donate but they said as I have lived in the UK from 1980 to 1990 I cannot. I checked with the NHS and it's only if you have had a blood transfusion that your cannot donate blood. Sorry but I tried, but I think the regulations need to be checked here in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ant said:

As Type B- I tried to donate but they said as I have lived in the UK from 1980 to 1990 I cannot. I checked with the NHS and it's only if you have had a blood transfusion that your cannot donate blood. Sorry but I tried, but I think the regulations need to be checked here in Thailand

I was told the same thing. 

But if you gave blood in the UK part of the restrictions says have you had sex in Thailand? If yes you can't give for fear of HIV. Its almost like they just don't want the blood but then complain they don't have enough. 

I know they have to be careful but I am sure there is a test procedure that could be done first

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ant said:

It's actually 1980-1996.

Nobody's got a full list, so here it is:

Blood-Donation-Application-Form.pdf

11 hours ago, Ant said:

An interesting little anecdote that more than suggests a lack of liaison between the Thai HD and the NHS with the former being the big loser, there.   And your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Ant and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton