News Forum - Efficacy of mRNA vaccines drops to 66% against Delta variant – US study

Thaiger

A large study carried out by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention shows that the efficacy of mRNA vaccines drops from 91% to 66% against the Delta variant. The study involved thousands of healthcare staff and other frontline workers across 6 states. Participants were tested once a week and tested again if they developed Covid-19 symptoms, thereby allowing researchers to determine the efficacy of mRNA vaccines against symptomatic and asymptomatic infection. During the period of December 14, 2020 to April 10, 2021, before the highly-contagious Delta variant became the dominant strain, the vaccines demonstrated an efficacy of 91%. […]

The post Efficacy of mRNA vaccines drops to 66% against Delta variant – US study appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Numbers.... Stats.... 

At first thought: In my case... I get Covid or I don't... Yes/No means chances are 50/50%

Circumstantial chances are 0% to catch Covid when I stay at home and have no visitors at all. 

BNB Back to Normal is Better

• Like 1

A little critical note. 1) This is 6 days' old news... 2) it's still more effective against Delta after 6 months than Sinovac and AZ after 2 weeks 3) it still protects nearly fully against serious disease or death.

Plus we will need boosters after some time for all vaccine brands. R&D continues and those boosters will likely be even more effective against Delta and other possible variants again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

no worries, variant resistant to COVID-19 vaccine likely to emerge, Pfizer CEO says

So? Your point?

We have MRSA too. Shall we therefore stop using and developing antibiotics?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

no worries, variant resistant to COVID-19 vaccine likely to emerge, Pfizer CEO says

Yep, I just posted a mention of that to riclag my reply to him in his topic Udon Thani got my Pfizer today.  

So what to do than? Take 3 , 4, 5 boosters? Neverending misery....first they were saying that , than this... they are kicking into dark same as woth flu vaccines.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, NB2562 said:

So what to do than? Take 3 , 4, 5 boosters? Neverending misery....first they were saying that , than this... they are kicking into dark same as woth flu vaccines.

16 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yep, I just posted a mention of that to riclag my reply to him in his topic Udon Thani got my Pfizer today.  

24 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

I've looked up the actual interview (which you could have done too, instead of immediately jumping on misquotes).

Bourla did not say a resistant variant to all vaccines will emerge.

He said "a resistant variant to the currently used vaccine may one day emerge"

He said they are constantly looking whether there are new variants. But there aren't any yet.

He also said that they have the technology to adapt the vaccine to any new variant within 3 months of it emerging.

Showing again that some here have an agenda to go against anything, rather than to be precise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some of these studies are just stupid. Make the people more fearful. The zombies are coming. I will take my 66% over nothing. OK. End of story. Do what you have to do to make yourself, your family, and society safer.

If a kindergartner is courageous enough to take a vaccine, what does that make an adult who is too afraid to take one? Anything but bold and courageous. This whole "freedom and liberty" argument is completely out of control, and no doubt contributing to the 150,000 cases a day in the US. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Some of these studies are just stupid. Make the people more fearful. The zombies are coming. I will take my 66% over nothing. OK. End of story. Do what you have to do to make yourself, your family, and society safer.

If a kindergartner is courageous enough to take a vaccine, what does that make an adult who is too afraid to take one? Anything but bold and courageous. This whole "freedom and liberty" argument is completely out of control, and no doubt contributing to the 150,000 cases a day in the US. 

There is a quote "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" and like so many trying to twist things you have chosen to project your fear.  Why are people so afraid of Covid.  Where are the ambulances rushing by and the zombies falling in the street from the virus?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

There is a quote "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" and like so many trying to twist things you have chosen to project your fear.  Why are people so afraid of Covid.  Where are the ambulances rushing by and the zombies falling in the street from the virus?  

You can't see the other side of the sun either. But it's clearly there.

Maybe visit your local hospital and look up some Covid patients, or see some intubated through the window in I.C.U.?

Surely you're not worried to go there unprotected and contract the virus, if it doesn't exist 🙄😉

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

These vaccines are experimental with no long term effects being known. 

Now I am not an anti-vaxxer. I prefer to wait for NovaVax vaccine which is a more traditional route. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

These vaccines are experimental with no long term effects being known. 

Now I am not an anti-vaxxer. I prefer to wait for NovaVax vaccine which is a more traditional route. 

Fair enough! And meanwhile just stay as safe as possible 👍

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You can't see the other side of the sun either. But it's clearly there.

Maybe visit your local hospital and look up some Covid patients, or see some intubated through the window in I.C.U.?

Surely you're not worried to go there unprotected and contract the virus, if it doesn't exist 🙄😉

I think everyone whould check out their hospitals too but the point is if this is such a terrible virus where are all the sick people.  I had covid over a year ago and although not pleasant it was not so different from a very bad flu.  For some the symptoms are only marginal and others even asymptomanic.  But yes there will always be some casualties but there are also casualties with influenza and malaria and many other sicknesses.  If the real concern is about saving lives where have the authorities been with the carnage all over the thai roads for decades.  Covid should be taken serious but it sure looks like the cure is becoming worse than the disease.

And I am not denying covid exists so please don't put words in posters mouths.  Where did I say it did not exist? 

Edited by billywillyjones
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I've looked up the actual interview (which you could have done too, instead of immediately jumping on misquotes).

Bourla did not say a resistant variant to all vaccines will emerge.

He said "a resistant variant to the currently used vaccine may one day emerge"

He said they are constantly looking whether there are new variants. But there aren't any yet.

He also said that they have the technology to adapt the vaccine to any new variant within 3 months of it emerging.

Showing again that some here have an agenda to go against anything, rather than to be precise.

My comment to riclag was not off base. Stated both sides of the coin.

2 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

I think everyone whould check out their hospitals too but the point is if this is such a terrible virus where are all the sick people.  I had covid over a year ago and although not pleasant it was not so different from a very bad flu.  For some the symptoms are only marginal and others even asymptomanic.  But yes there will always be some casualties but there are also casualties with influenza and malaria and many other sicknesses.  If the real concern is about saving lives where have the authorities been with the carnage all over the thai roads for decades.  Covid should be taken serious but it sure looks like the cure is becoming worse than the disease.

At the start it was different, because no mass testing was done and if it stayed mild you often didn't worry. 

Now, if you test positive, you are isolated or taken to a (field-)hospital. So we can follow the numbers better, contain the spread and intervene quicker if people get very sick.

And the very sick ones, you don't see them. Most are not rushed from home, but are already in a (field-)hospital when they deteriorate. No loud ambulance required.

Then they're isolated in hospital or unconscious in I.C.U. on a ventilator. You can see them, but you have to -go find- them. Not because there are few, but because they're kept away from us to stop the spread.

If you want good indication for the seriousness, look at the Covid deaths. 250-300 a day, means about 2 weeks ago there were some 50.000-60.000 cases a day. Worldwide more than 4.5m deaths in 18 months. I'd not call that a small problem. And it's not only the elderly or compromised people, although that's a larger proportion.

Once we're all vaccinated, the urgency will subside. I am sure that it will turn endemic, but that can take some years because there are parts of the world where progress is even slower than here.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

My comment to riclag was not off base. Stated both sides of the coin.

No problem 😉  It seemed that way as you replied only to the one-sided view.

The more the delta variant is easily transmitted , the higher are the chances that it mutates into an even more contagious or lethal form .

Add that to the fact that the available vaccines become less effective after some time .

As we all know by now , fully vaccinated people can become re-infected and transmit the virus to others , vaccinated or not .

The virus is not very lethal ( yet ) , and vaccinated people have a much higher chance to survive .

There is no sign or medication that the virus itself will ever disappear completely .

Consequence of this is that everybody will become infected , and the most people who will die from that , are the ones who are not vaccinated .

Regular booster shots will need to be taken as long as the efficacy of the vaccines tends to fade with time .

Welcome to the ' new normal ' .

That is if the current dominating ' Delta ' variant does not mutate into a more lethal form .

Given those facts , it is not so difficult to imagine what the future of tourism , social gatherings , travel etc , will look like ...

2020 definitely was a ' turning point ' in the history of mankind .

I still believe that the virus is a part of the ' self-defense ' mechanism of a living planet . It is a very precise and even intelligent tool to cut the problem off that this planet with it's self regulating and self balancing ( life creating ) ecosystems had with the destructive actions of the dominant species .

Well deserved , if you ask me , because the ' dominant species ' has proven to be greedy , selfish and without any foresight about the consequences of their actions .

Everything is connected , every action provokes a reaction , nothing comes for free ...

Anyway , enjoy every day , let's hope that Nature recovers from the damage done , once mankind became extinct .

What can be done now to avoid an end like this ?

Do not use anything that is toxic or polluting anymore , no more plastic , no more burning of fossile fuels and all that NOW !!!

Like this , the worst scenario could , may be , be avoided .

But being realistic , will that happen ?

The answer is a clear NO .

Laugh , if you still can ...

36 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

No problem 😉  It seemed that way as you replied only to the one-sided view.

Nope. Never just one side of the coin on something like that. For any variants we will just have to wait and see, but I hope the professionals stating they don't think so and they vaccines we have now are enough and they are correct.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Im banking on the Pfizer getting me a travel passport in 2022. Hopefully it will protect people from from virus. 

Ur Pfizer travel passport comes together with ADE in package.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Nope. Never just one side of the coin on something like that. For any variants we will just have to wait and see, but I hope the professionals stating they don't think so and they vaccines we have now are enough and they are correct.

Seeing how many variants there were in a short time, it's likely to happen again at some stage.

But now it's monitored, so it won't be long until it's discovered if it happens.

After the technique to produce mRNA vaccines had been researched for years, we were surprised and sceptical at first that a vaccine arrived so soon. But after 100's of millions of doses have been used, now we know that the risk of vaccination is much lower than the risk of developing something serious from the virus. Once a variant is discovered, next time the vaccine will arrive even quicker, as principally the same technique for sequencing and production can be used.

For now, we need to protect people a.s.a.p. with good vaccines. Until then be prudent. And I wish that governments and commercial groups would take a backseat without pushing to make money with risky experiments at the expense of the people who are still at risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Seeing how many variants there were in a short time, it's likely to happen again at some stage.

But now it's monitored, so it won't be long until it's discovered if it happens.

After the technique to produce mRNA vaccines had been researched for years, we were surprised and sceptical at first that a vaccine arrived so soon. But after 100's of millions of doses have been used, now we know that the risk of vaccination is much lower than the risk of developing something serious from the virus. Once a variant is discovered, next time the vaccine will arrive even quicker, as principally the same technique for sequencing and production can be used.

For now, we need to protect people a.s.a.p. with good vaccines. Until then be prudent. And I wish that governments and commercial groups would take a backseat without pushing to make money with risky experiments at the expense of the people who are still at risk.

You are completely disregarding any possible long term complications.  How can you conclude the mRNA vaccines are a roaraing success without any long term testing?  One may be optimistic but the jury is out at this point in time.

• Like 2