News Forum - Video of alleged police killing during extortion attempt shared on social media

Thaiger

A video of the alleged police killing during an extortion attempt was shared on social media today by a well-known Thai lawyer. The footage shows officers putting a plastic bag over a man’s head and beating him. Reports say the man died from suffocation, but the district chief allegedly ordered his subordinates to write the death off as drug overdose. The police chief in Nakhon Sawan, Pol Col Thitisant Utthanaphon, is being transferred following allegations raised this week claiming that he accidentally killed a drug suspect while demanding a 2 million baht bribe. The claims are now being investigated and 10 […]

The post Video of alleged police killing during extortion attempt shared on social media appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something but the video just shows them huddled around, then they eventually flip him over and pour water on him? 

I don't see them putting a plastic bag over his head and beating him

Maybe theres a different video out there

Edited by dj230
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Maybe I'm missing something but the video just shows them huddled around, then they eventually flip him over and pour water on him? 

I don't see them putting a plastic bag over his head and beating him

Maybe theres a different video out there

Ditto,@dj230.

Arguably, it's a vid of someone who's had a seizure surrounded by a bunch of incompetents trying to revive him.

It'll need a bit more evidence than that!

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Ditto,@dj230.

Arguably, it's a vid of someone who's had a seizure surrounded by a bunch of incompetents trying to revive him.

It'll need a bit more evidence than that!

I was surprised all the comments were so quick to come to the conclusion that this was indeed the case, maybe theres another video. I am assuming if they have this footage, there must be footage of the events that transpired prior to where this video began, which was just them huddled around

Edited by dj230
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

I was surprised all the comments were so quick to come to the conclusion that this was indeed the case, maybe theres another video

Well, on it's own, this is going nowhere.

• Cool 1

Every officer should be in custody and charged with murder. 
Transferred?! No. Lock them up now. 
with the video evidence and the Superintendents bank accounts this should be a life sentence. No Red Bull coverups…

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Longtimefarang said:

Every officer should be in custody and charged with murder. 
Transferred?! No. Lock them up now. 
with the video evidence and the Superintendents bank accounts this should be a life sentence. No Red Bull coverups…

Justifiably sharp comments for this, your debut post and thanks for that!

Hello. Longtimefarang and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Well, on it's own, this is going nowhere.

I saw a picture from a thai friend of footage before this, not sure if theres a video out there but it does indeed show the person whos arrested in a chair with a plastic bag over his head.

found the video, it does indeed show the police suffocating the person with a bag

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

I saw a picture from a thai friend of footage before this, not sure if theres a video out there but it does indeed show the person whos arrested in a chair with a plastic bag over his head.

found the video, it does indeed show the police suffocating the person with a bag

If so, it makes Matt Hancock's lack of awareness that he was on camera pale into insignificance.

Everyone involved in this man's death and coverup should be put in trial, and if found guilty or in prison or whatever capitol punishment Thailand has. 

I'm a firm believer in an eye for an eye, and it should be even worse punishment for bad police officers. 

• Like 1

Classic

Video evidence showing Thai Police officers at Thai Police Station accused of murdering arrested drug suspect during torture and extortion and AFTER video surfaces and goes viral they lose their jobs as the investigation continues.

Why take such "drastic" action against them?

They should have been reassigned to writing police training manuals for "Covert Interviewing Techniques".

1 hour ago, JackMeOff said:

Classic

Video evidence showing Thai Police officers at Thai Police Station accused of murdering arrested drug suspect during torture and extortion and AFTER video surfaces and goes viral they lose their jobs as the investigation continues.

Why take such "drastic" action against them?

They should have been reassigned to writing police training manuals for "Covert Interviewing Techniques".

the power of technology and social media is putting pressure on authorities in cases that potentially go under. Way to go

• Like 1

Hey - does anyone remember all those senior police officers in Chiang Mai who were transferred to HQ while an investigation was to be undertaken into the bribe system that was found to be rampant in the Police Academy. Apparently for 500K Baht you could buy a 'pass' at the Academy for your son (and they didnt even have to attend the whole course) - there was many millions of Baht involved and lots of confessions. 

So - anyone know the outcome??  Just asking for a friend 😄   

5 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

People dying in custody is not exclusive to Thailand it has happened in England

That's true and possibly other countries too but two main differences to Thailand. 1)  Not so many die in custody and 2) It is not concealed or lied about as a cover up

Waiting for them to come out and say he was spitting and therefore needed the bag on his head because they thought he could have covid.  Then with the way they have been showing the technician suiting completely up in PPE's before going into where the body was, I wonder if they will say he was not murdered but died from Covid.  The police will probably be quarantined and then given a sharp rebuke......of course this post is dripping with sarcasm, or could it be what happens.  I will get the popcorn and watch in suspense as this plays out.   Whatever the ending, the media coverage right now is just out of this world on all the morning news stations today as I write this.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

People dying in custody is not exclusive to Thailand it has happened in England

It has happened everywhere.  Sometimes before they are in custody, or during arrest.  Usually easy to avoid these scenarios.  Most people manage to live their lives without any interventions by the police.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's true and possibly other countries too but two main differences to Thailand. 1)  Not so many die in custody and 2) It is not concealed or lied about as a cover up

Maybe not these days, in the past before videos recordings yes. 

Just now, Lowseasonlover said:
1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Hey - does anyone remember all those senior police officers in Chiang Mai who were transferred to HQ while an investigation was to be undertaken into the bribe system that was found to be rampant in the Police Academy. Apparently for 500K Baht you could buy a 'pass' at the Academy for your son (and they didnt even have to attend the whole course) - there was many millions of Baht involved and lots of confessions. 

So - anyone know the outcome??  Just asking for a friend 😄   

Sister in law took the Police entrance exam in Bkk in 2009, they were told the pass mark was 400k baht, she failed!