News Forum - 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation

Thaiger

An 80 year old Australian man was assaulted after he smacked a car that almost ran him over. The driver of the car got out of his vehicle and kicked the octogenarian in the back following the older man’s car smacking. Dashcam footage captured the incident that happened in Chiang Mai, the northern Thai province which is hoping to launch a tourist initiative called “Charming Chiang Mai” in October. An unidentified security who was at the scene says he saw the older Australian man hit the car’s hood after nearly being run over. The man was walking through a zebra […]

The post 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I guess he didn't press charges because he probably knew that nothing would happen.

TIT remember, some people get away with murder here.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Sorry for the guy but I learned in Asia that you don't apply common sense or rules of your country. Zebra means nothing, just like a traff light. Look left, look right and proceed with caution. You never have a right of the way 

• Like 14
  • Cool 1

13 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Sorry for the guy but I learned in Asia that you don't apply common sense or rules of your country. Zebra means nothing, just like a traff light. Look left, look right and proceed with caution. You never have a right of the way 

Actually, zebra crossings are in the Thai traffic regulations, but you're right that nobody pays any attention to it. 

But I think the point here is more the assault than the zebra..

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rye said:

Why did he drop the charges?  That makes no sense. I believe in forgiveness but I also believe in justice. 

Hear, hear! A strong post and your debut, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Rye and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

35 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

You have no idea how many times I’ve been honked at for waiting at a red light. 

• Like 2

Wow.  Don’t mess with ignorance here.  The Zebra crossing means nothing and being it was ignored, it was probably a Thai.  Add to that a farang hitting your car and I’m surprised the farang wasn’t sued.  An apology after running away and no charges filed after being kicked from behind.  Wow.  

• Cool 1

I would have thought that the Australian guy would have learnt his lesson from what happened last time when he got kicked over for hitting someones car, like, it only happened a few days ago 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, franckl said:

Old white boomer asked for it. White farangs need to file down their fangs and pick up some manners and learn a bit about civility.

Fantastic post Frank, absolutely stunning, so compassionate.

You ever thought about a career as a counsellor?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, franckl said:

Old white boomer asked for it. White farangs need to file down their fangs and pick up some manners and learn a bit about civility.

Unfortunately it didn’t happen the other way and the idiot Thai got payback with the bejesus kicked out of him. I would betcha that Thai putz is also a woman and animal beater. If you agree with the putz, then your morals and decision making for safe responsible driving is backwards. Unacceptable. 
But last thing I will say is that particular crossing from Rimping market has always been a danger zone. And I go there to that store quite often. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, franckl said:

Hooray! You win the "Giant IQ of the Day" award !

The guy is 80 years old so he can't be a boomer, capisce?

Oh, and the term "boomer" is so 2020. Ewwww...

Edited by JTCarius
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Unfortunately it didn’t happen the other way and the idiot Thai got payback with the bejesus kicked out of him. I would betcha that Thai putz is also a woman and animal beater. If you agree with the putz, then your morals and decision making for safe responsible driving is backwards. Unacceptable. 
But last thing I will say is that particular crossing from Rimping market has always been a danger zone. And I go there to that store quite often. 

I guess I am just selfish.

I can't stop thinking about that fantastic pizza just around the corner.🍕

Edited by JTCarius

30 minutes ago, Faz said:

Anyone, regardless of race that can approach an 80 year old from behind and kick him in the back is no more than a callous coward. Where were the drivers manners and civility @franckl

Faz, can I come visit you in your cave sometime? Driver manners and civility? Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rye said:

Why did he drop the charges?  That makes no sense. I believe in forgiveness but I also believe in justice. 

Choose your enemies wisely in Thailand !

• Like 4

Road rage happens. Everywhere. In hindsight maybe the Aussie's split second reaction was unwise but nevertheless understandable.  But for the driver to chase down a man and attack from behind is both totally unacceptable and cowardly.  That said the victims decision not to pursue the matter shows incredible strength of character and maturity. That takes a big man.

(God), grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Edited by MARCO
grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim said:

The old man got very lucky, in Phuket other Thais would have joined in to kick him good.

The elderly man was clearly venting his frustration and yet turned his back and walked away as if there could be no consequence for his action.  The enraged car driver could have jumped out with a knife or a gun.  I think most people quickly learn that pedestrians have no "right of  way" in Thailand and act accordingly.  Still very shameful for someone to drop kick an old man.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

"The post 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation appeared first on Thaiger News." No, you must be mistaken. @Thaiger claims the story first appeared with them. 🤔😉

11 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

people in these countries don't use traffic lights or zebra crossings, either they don't work or its just for decoration. They make up for the lost atmosphere.

The old guy would have accepted the apology and offer to pay for any medical expenses - and the Police would have tried to make that happen. Hopefully going forward the grumpy old bugger stops hitting cars who do not give way to him, and the young man is shamed into behaving better in the future when dealing with grumpy old Expats.   

• Like 2