Do you need a resident certificate in order to sell a car here in Thailand?

longwood50

I purchased a car in my name and the dealer required that I have a resident certificate.  I did so.  I am now selling the car.  Someone said, I have to provide the buyer with a resident certificate in order for him to transfer to his name.  Is that true?  Seems strange given I could not have put the car in my name in the first place without having a resident certificate. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

I purchased a car in my name and the dealer required that I have a resident certificate.  I did so.  I am now selling the car.  Someone said, I have to provide the buyer with a resident certificate in order for him to transfer to his name.  Is that true?  Seems strange given I could not have put the car in my name in the first place without having a resident certificate. 

Officially you don't need to provide your address but it's whatever the guys from the transportation department want from you.

The buyer however does need to have a resident certificate or work permit either will do the trick.

• Like 1

As the seller your address is already in the book.
The buyer has to provide proof of his address to make the changes.

Also as the seller you can merely complete a transfer form for the seller take to the DLT in order to make the change without you even attending.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:01 PM, longwood50 said:

Unless the dealer was registering the car for you they have no need to have your residence certificate.

As already said by others, none is needed when you sell.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Unless the dealer was registering the car for you they have no need to have your residence certificate.

When purchasing new the dealer will always register the vehicle on your behalf, so the DLT will require proof of the buyers address. Tax, Insurance, plates, registration is always included in the purchase price.
Well it has when I've negotiated the terms of purchase.

If you purchase a vehicle on finance the Finance company is the registered owner.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

When purchasing new the dealer will always register the vehicle on your behalf, so the DLT will require proof of the buyers address. Tax, Insurance, plates, registration is always included in the purchase price.

Routinely, yes, but not "always".

I bought a Tiger Retro with a sidecar several years ago direct from the manufacturers as they had no local dealers selling them with sidecars, and they simply delivered the combination to me along with a mound of paperwork for me to do the process myself.

It's not normal by any means and it's complicated, for example you need all the paperwork for the vehicle type tests and certification, but it does happen - and is probably one of the reasons why Tiger went bust!

5 minutes ago, Faz said:

I can visualise the sidecar now @Stonker

image.jpeg.b5dcd1108a9d0538b94b4160c968591c.jpeg

The sidecar was actually a copy of a 1940's BMW sidecar, complete with torsion bar suspension, so it could be legally registered from new as a sidecar combination for a passenger - I think Ural and Royal Enfield now do the same in Thailand, but they're extortionately expensive here.

Plenty of pics on line, but think of a Wallace and Gromit combination and you'll be close 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:01 PM, longwood50 said:

Simply, NO

10 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Simply, NO

Actually not true.  I had to provide a resident certificate in order for the transportation department to transfer the car book from my name to the new owners name.  He also had to supply a certificate of residency. 

8 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Actually not true.  I had to provide a resident certificate in order for the transportation department to transfer the car book from my name to the new owners name.  He also had to supply a certificate of residency. 

The DLT office were wrong in that case.
The seller has already provided proof of address in order to be registered in the owners log book.

Only the buyer should have to provide proof of address for the change of ownership registration.
The seller need not even attend the DLT for a change in ownership as forms are available for this purpose.

It is what it is, but your experience is not the norm.

11 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I didn’t. Passport &  Visa copies. Signatures. Buyer was Thai.Phuket DLT. 
no formal checklist seen. Buyer emailed me copy new blue book same day.

11 hours ago, Faz said:

The DLT office were wrong in that case.
The seller has already provided proof of address in order to be registered in the owners log book.

Only the buyer should have to provide proof of address for the change of ownership registration.
The seller need not even attend the DLT for a change in ownership as forms are available for this purpose.

It is what it is, but your experience is not the norm.

Phuket DLT were not accepting their own POA form last month when I sold my car. Buyer & Seller Physical presence required for Ownership Transfer at DLT.

DLT wanted to ensure I was the Legal Seller and legally in Thailand for transfer but no interest in my address.  Buyer gave only Thai ID.

My Passport No. in Reg Book was different to Current Passport but that was no issue (although I showed Buyer and took to DLT copy old lost passport).

Immediate Physical DLT Transfer is always best for Seller, to ensure immediate “clean break” in reg. name in case car in accident or used for crime.

Seller should hand over the Vehicle when Price received but retain Reg. Book as incentive for Buyer to complete Transfer at DLT without delay.