News Forum - Police arrest 35 protesters after clash at Bangkok’s Din Daeng intersection

Thaiger

In another clash with riot police at Bangkok’s Din Dang intersection, where numerous protests against the government have taken place, at least 35 protesters were arrested yesterday. A report from the Bangkok Post says a group of young activists on motorcycles called “Mob Thalugaz,” which means “mob that goes through tear gas,” drove to the intersection at around 5pm and threw ping pong bombs and firecrackers at police. The Din Daeng intersection has been a site for the recent protests that have led to violent clashes with riot police. Young activists have been calling on PM Prayut Chan-o-cha to resign […]

The post Police arrest 35 protesters after clash at Bangkok’s Din Daeng intersection appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is a video on social Thai media that show the police totally going off the hook shooting at these motorcycle riders and then bum rushing them and kicking them off the bikes. The many with the shot guns with rubber bullets looked like they were thoroughly enjoying it while firing one shot after the other. These rubber bullets can be fatal if hitting the wrong spot on the body or causing the motorcyclist to have an accident. This is not an arcade and you win a prize. These are things we as foreigners do not openly hear what is actually going on, but is widely known in the Thai groups.. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

There is a video on social Thai media that show the police totally going off the hook shooting at these motorcycle riders and then bum rushing them and kicking them off the bikes. The many with the shot guns with rubber bullets looked like they were thoroughly enjoying it while firing one shot after the other. These rubber bullets can be fatal if hitting the wrong spot on the body or causing the motorcyclist to have an accident. This is not an arcade and you win a prize. These are things we as foreigners do not openly hear what is actually going on, but is widely known in the Thai groups.. 

I saw this video, what do you expect the police to do though? Ask nicely for protestors to put their hands behind their back after they’ve thrown bombs at police? 

Tackling, tripping, shooting rubber bullets, detaining and arresting criminals is what they’re supposed to be doing. 

I did notice something interesting though, maybe it’s a cultural thing but the police were not arresting females but only males. They pushed several females out of the way and focused on detaining and arresting men instead 

Edited by dj230

12 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I saw this video, what do you expect the police to do though? Ask nicely for protestors to put their hands behind their back after they’ve thrown bombs at police? 

Tackling, tripping, shooting rubber bullets, detaining and arresting criminals is what they’re supposed to be doing. 

I did notice something interesting though, maybe it’s a cultural thing but the police were not arresting females but only males. They pushed several females out of the way and focused on detaining and arresting men instead 

III (@tatae25) Tweeted:
@plodaek @PanusayaS ฝากด้วยครับ https://t.co/btJ1rEyOdl

Mark S. Cogan (มาร์ค โคแกน) (@markscogan) Tweeted:
Anti-Prayut protesters on motorcycles  collide with riot police in Bangkok, resulting in a serious crash. Tensions have been high all week as demonstrations have been held by the @Thalufah group almost daily. #WhatsHappeningInThailand #ม็อบ22สิงหา 
https://t.co/wKtOz1dIac

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Tackling, tripping, shooting rubber bullets, arresting criminals is what they’re supposed to be doing. 

I am on the side of the protesters, this unelected PM and his Junta just bullied their way into power in 2014, the whole country has gone backward ever since ie, ridiculous immigration laws that had retirees and longstayers leaving the country in droves even before this Chinese virus.

I remember walking down lower Sukhumvit Road before the virus and seeing very few white faces, go backward a few years and the place was full of tourists, then we had some unfair visa issues involving retirees and tourists, especially long stayers under 50.

Going back to the protesters, if they started throwing any type of bombs at the police, they are definitely in the wrong, even if there were provoked. There is no excuse for carrying bombs to a protest. But if the police were kicking protesters off their motorbikes, then they are also in the wrong.

The protesters have every right to protest against this unelected PM and his soldiers as long as they do it peacefully, it does not seem there are going to get them out of office at a general election if the last one is anything to go by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

These are things we as foreigners do not openly hear what is actually going on, but is widely known in the Thai groups

I agree and as hard and as dangerous as it is, people need to do something about it. Change won’t happen while they sit around eating Som Tam and hoping things change. I’m amazed at just how many people support and voted for the current government. A polarised country if ever there was one. 

17 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I am on the side of the protesters, this unelected PM and his Junta just bullied their way into power in 2014, the whole country has gone backward ever since ie, ridiculous immigration laws that had retirees and longstayers leaving the country in droves even before this Chinese virus.

I remember walking down lower Sukhumvit Road before the virus and seeing very few white faces, go backward a few years and the place was full of tourists, then we had some unfair visa issues involving retirees and tourists, especially long stayers under 50.

Going back to the protesters, if they started throwing any type of bombs at the police, they are definitely in the wrong, even if there were provoked. There is no excuse for carrying bombs to a protest. But if the police were kicking protesters off their motorbikes, then they are also in the wrong.

The protesters have every right to protest against this unelected PM and his soldiers as long as they do it peacefully, it does not seem there are going to get them out of office at a general election if the last one is anything to go by.

If it was a peaceful protest, riot police wouldn’t have to intervene. You can’t have it both ways where you expect police to stand and watch, while rioters are attacking them and throwing bombs and then complain when they do start detaining and arresting people. 

My opinion is based off of zero political bias, I have no opinion on the PM. A bad PM doesn’t justify throwing bombs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

These are things we as foreigners do not openly hear what is actually going on, but is widely known in the Thai groups.

This report in English language. Good. I try to show on the other forum a lot  but they censor. Weak and scared.
Happy can show this forum same @Stardust do it. 

45 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Tackling, tripping, shooting rubber bullets, detaining and arresting criminals 

Why are they criminals?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The protesters have every right to protest against this unelected PM and his soldiers as long as they do it peacefully

That’s exactly what’s needed. Mass, and I mean mass protests of a million people marching and blocking central Bangkok would result in change. It doesn’t need them to March to the headquarters of the RTP or the Royal Palace. This just gives justification under the guise of security threats to attack the protesters.  Do what Suthep and his mob did before which brought about this mess. There are too many “angry young men” involved. It needs a mature calming influence to set the strategy and the tactics. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Well why should they respect the honest police of a honestly elected j u n t a. What are they supposed to do, give them roses an a foot massage? If you ask me they have used excessive force for too long now to try and silence the people, and lets throw in draconian laws and every thing they can do under making a new emergency decree. Who are the lessor of the evils here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

If it was a peaceful protest, riot police wouldn’t have to intervene. You can’t have it both ways where you expect police to stand and watch, while rioters are attacking them and throwing bombs and then complain when they do start detaining and arresting people. 

My opinion is based off of zero political bias, I have no opinion on the PM. A bad PM doesn’t justify throwing bombs. 

"If it was a peaceful protest, riot police wouldn’t have to intervene". I agree, but were the rioters throwing bombs and attacking the police? Were the people who were getting kicked of their motorbikes by the police, attacking them and throwing bombs at them? In this case I really don't know, but in earlier protests back before or at the beginning of the pandemic, it did seem according to reports, that the police were the ones doing the provoking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This report in English language. Good. I try to show on the other forum a lot  but they censor. Weak and scared.

Why are they criminals?

Because anywhere in the world, this being Thailand, it is against the law to throw things at the Police, in this case explosive devices desgned to maim and injure.

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m amazed at just how many people support and voted for the current government.

Smoke and mirrors and redrawing district voting lines to over lap into opposition territories stacking the deck. Also, it was reported that the military grunts were bussed in and had chaperones watching how they marked X. Ping pong thingies that have a blast to them is not the answer, but these ones doing it are a different group of protestors, and even with that out of the equation there is tear gas, rubber bullets, brutality, and chemical laced water, then the draconian and emergency laws to string the ones up who are arrested. You are correct, eating som tum and then breathing the fish sauce breathe on them is not going to do anything.

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree and as hard and as dangerous as it is, people need to do something about it. Change won’t happen while they sit around eating Som Tam and hoping things change.

stop eating and help. You can do it. Thankyou.

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m amazed at just how many people support and voted for the current government. 

About 17%.
They cheat the election. Many way. 

1) Not allow the party will win. (Sister)

2) Not allow Red shirt to get to many vote. Give seat to other with small vote.

3) Not allow campaign before election. (But they do it)

4) Have 250 of the brothers, friends, army for Senate with no vote.

5) Prayut not get one vote. Not run.

6) Prawit not get one vote. Say he will not. But come back and be deputy.

7) Not show election result for more than one month.

8) Anutin, Abbishit say before election they will not join Prayut. But he make them. 

etc 

Junta chief has failed in his mission of reform and reconciliation and is already treating Parliament with contempt.

https://www.nationthailand.com/perspective/30370562

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

Why are they criminals?

Well to claim they are criminals is judging them before they are found guilty. Basically kangaroo justice. So it was wrong for @dj230to brand them as criminals. 

My personal view is that coming from a Western country than historically nothing has been won without a fight. This applies equally to many other nations. These youths , and other protestors are attempting to bring about a change in PM but really nothing will change unless this momentum gathers speed and thousands more join them to initially remove the current incompetant PM and then next getting rid of the entire government and senate so that fair and honest elections may be had without interference from the Army or anyone else. Will it happen ? Well we don't know but all due respect to the protesters at least they are willing to give it a try.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

About 17%.

8) Anutin, Abbishit say before election they will not join Prayut. But he make them. 

etc 

Junta chief has failed in his mission of reform and reconciliation and is already treating Parliament with contempt.

Yinn, dear, you're reading the press. Drum roll...............they lie.

It all started way way before this and the ping pong balls. The balls are now from a renegade group and don't necessarily represent the whole of the campaign to oust them. How about the people who have been kidnapped and just disappeared? This is not a new fight and just because they have a badge doesn't mean they are not bad nd evil.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Were the people who were getting kicked of their motorbikes by the police, attacking them and throwing bombs at them? In this case I really don't know, but in earlier protests back before or at the beginning of the pandemic, it did seem according to reports, that the police were the ones doing the provoking.

Agent provocateurs attend these rallies and may well be the ones firing live rounds or throwing projectiles/grenades.  We'll never know the full story.

• Like 3

First of all Bangkokians and residents have their own eyes and filming and seeing what happening. Residents got also bombardet with teargas canisters or rubber bullets from snipers and complaint on a daily basis. 

2. The Thalufah protest was peaceful at the un so there was no violence! But the incidents are not from there and there were no bombs or similar. You refer to the clashes in ding daeng with Thalugaz groups

3. The Thais have a complete different opinion than you on the actual situation and who is responsible and already want legal actions and consequences of what they experience and seeing on a daily basis. And the residents also wanna drive home without get attacked by rubberbullets or at their homes. If you would live there or if you would talk with the residents or Bangkokians you could have a better understanding what is going on and what they think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

About 17%.

etc 

I get all that @Yinn and I share your frustration at the way everything has been manipulated in favour of the junta. But if 80% of people want this to stop then get out and peacefully protest. If older people, especially women and a few of the monks were to make their presence felt, things would change. Scenes of masked young kids throwing stones and aiming fireworks at the law does nothing to garner support from other countries. Change that to more unarmed men and women in their 60’s and 70’s walking with lit candles and pictures of imprisoned or missing loved ones and the next thing is Mr Prayut starts getting calls from Western governments ask difficult questions. Influential governments will do nothing until their conscience is pricked.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Agent provocateurs attend these rallies and may well be the ones firing live rounds or throwing projectiles/grenades.  We'll never know the full story.

Agreed @KaptainRob  these kids are naive in their strategy and tactics. Do they honestly think they will win a physical confrontation with heavily armed police and army. You can’t win a fight like this with aggression. They need to take the moral high ground and start to demonstrate in large numbers exposing the problems. Otherwise they just look like thugs and a few carefully placed infiltrators will turn the protests violent.   

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed @KaptainRob  these kids are naive in their strategy and tactics. Do they honestly think they will win a physical confrontation with heavily armed police and army. You can’t win a fight like this with aggression. They need to take the moral high ground and start to demonstrate in large numbers exposing the problems. Otherwise they just look like thugs and a few carefully placed infiltrators will turn the protests violent.   

Remind me , when the Berlin wall was breached by hundreds of thousands of unarmed civilians, opposed by armed East Berlin guards what happened ?

29 minutes ago, Soidog said:

There are many groups who are making peaceful protests but I guess many lost the overview because there are 5 or sometimes more groups protesting and even former pdrc groups. But the UDD and Thalufah were pecefull as we could see. And there also different Universities who have groups so there is a wide field of different opposition groups and with diffrent views and opinions. Then you have the progressive mostly young generation from the moveforward and the Pheu Thai groups. So it is a little bit more complex and some commentators  put all in one and that gives the people or outsiders a complete wrong picture of the situation and also the groups doesn't want that and they are not from one party or ideoligy or opininion.