News Forum - Pattaya re-opening threatened by rise in infections, slow vaccine rollout

Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand says the eastern tourist spot of Pattaya has a number of challenges to overcome in order to re-open to foreign tourism. Chief among them is the fact that standard operating procedures submitted to the provincial health office are still awaiting approval. Meanwhile, Covid-19 infections are rising and the vaccine rollout is sluggish. According to a Bangkok Post report, Apichai Chatchalermkit from the TAT says Pattaya’s vaccination rate is currently nowhere near the 70% necessary for herd immunity. Only around 33% of the population is currently vaccinated. “Pattaya’s re-opening plan cannot start without those conditions.” Prior […]

The post Pattaya re-opening threatened by rise in infections, slow vaccine rollout appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So the first 6 days are in quarantine and after that you are expected to use tour guides in sealed routes? If I’m understanding that correctly, this makes the Phuket plan look good in comparison. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

So the first 6 days are in quarantine and after that you are expected to use tour guides in sealed routes? If I’m understanding that correctly, this makes the Phuket plan look good in comparison. 

Yes, I wonder if the sealed routes will be a tour of Soi’s 6,7&8 followed by a late night stroll along the newly named Walking Boulevard?  You’d be better off getting a group of 4 year olds to discuss ways of opening.

• Haha 5

Shouldn't this just be the generic headline template in Thailand, for the forseeable future?

News Forum - ____________ re-opening threatened by rise in infections, slow vaccine rollout

So, now we are going to be denied vaccines again so Pattaya can get up and running to be able accept tourists?  This is how this shit started in Phuket...and the rest of the nation was denied vaccinations while one region was given all the shots available, to no avail, as the scheme didn't bring in any significant money from overseas.

Edited by MrStretch
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

Clearly the time is not right at the moment and the government only have themselves to blame, being far to slow off the starting blocks, refusing to accept Covid would land in Thailand and buying substandard vaccine when it did.

I am afraid with any pandemic, you can run, but you can’t hide.

Regarding tourism on any sensible level, It’s just not going to happen until you stop making people jump through hoops to come. So many people have said this but you continue to ignore it. When will the penny (or baht drop). 

let me make it simple, hoops such as, certificate of entry, local insurance and other legislative money making scams = MINIMAL TOURISTS.

Simple regulations such as tested before departure, fully vaccinated and international insurance = The beginning of Mass Tourism.

Wake up and smell the coffee. get your people protected with vaccine that works. Then understand that Tourists need to be attracted not dissuaded by rules and regulations.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

And what about the beaches,pools from condos,golf and other parks.

Nobody knows why they closed. Water bad for covid,walking and golfing bad for covid?

Ridiculous!

Start first with these restrictions to be finished.

And the new tourist not want to eat in a restaurant or go bar?

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, I wonder if the sealed routes will be a tour of Soi’s 6,7&8 followed by a late night stroll along the newly named Walking Boulevard?  You’d be better off getting a group of 4 year olds to discuss ways of opening.

Lol, all closed and dead streets

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Shouldn't this just be the generic headline template in Thailand, for the forseeable future?

News Forum - ____________ re-opening threatened by rise in infections, slow vaccine rollout

So, now we are going to be denied vaccines again so Pattaya can get up and running to be able accept tourists?  This is how this shit started in Phuket...and the rest of the nation was denied vaccinations while one region was given all the shots available, to no avail, as the scheme didn't bring in any significant money from overseas.

Yep exactly, and then wonder why they make it that everyone can register in whole thailand for vaccines, only for people not to complain about it anymore, however like you said chonburi and bangkok get all the vaccines, I mention it before 2 times I registered 2 days before my friend in chonburi and he got appointment in several days time, me not and that was last week.. so rigged but busted nothing changed.. government is a hard head with no ears...

Edited by Paco
and stupid as hell
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just so you know many places in Thailand you can just sit in the restaurant etc. just not in the red zones.. here life is just normal without restrictions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BBY said:

Clearly the time is not right at the moment and the government only have themselves to blame, being far to slow off the starting blocks, refusing to accept Covid would land in Thailand and buying substandard vaccine when it did.

I am afraid with any pandemic, you can run, but you can’t hide.

Regarding tourism on any sensible level, It’s just not going to happen until you stop making people jump through hoops to come. So many people have said this but you continue to ignore it. When will the penny (or baht drop). 

let me make it simple, hoops such as, certificate of entry, local insurance and other legislative money making scams = MINIMAL TOURISTS.

Simple regulations such as tested before departure, fully vaccinated and international insurance = The beginning of Mass Tourism.

Wake up and smell the coffee. get your people protected with vaccine that works. Then understand that Tourists need to be attracted not dissuaded by rules and regulations.

I vote for you as the new head of the Thai Tourist Authority. Oh wait, I’m guessing you are not a Thai National? Oh well…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Reindevos said:

And what about the beaches,pools from condos,golf and other parks.

Nobody knows why they closed. Water bad for covid,walking and golfing bad for covid?

Ridiculous!

Start first with these restrictions to be finished.

And the new tourist not want to eat in a restaurant or go bar?

Agreed with your list there. Absolutely no reason why outside spaces should be closed. If the whole country was in total lockdown then fine. But to open shopping malls and then close golf courses and beaches shows no scientific advice is being followed. The problem I’ve noticed with Thai thinking, is once it’s done a particular way, that then becomes the only way for generations to come. So the initial decision to close beaches is now the standard operating procedure. No questions, no debate. That’s how it’s done. This in part is why I fear for the future of tourism in the country. Who will ever suggest that the COE or the removal of expensive Covid insurance requirements is the way forward until Covid is eradicated from the world? See you in 2120 then !! 

• Like 2

70% for collective immunity, they released this news last year?

Israel is 70% and they have a wave with the Delta.

It is not the same variant as the one in Wuhan!

With the alpha we were talking about 80% and with the Delta not even certain that at 90% there is collective immunity.

The vaccine is to avoid serious forms (division by 10) to avoid clogging intensive care ... Except that in Thailand as soon as you are positive you are hospitalized and the hospital is overcrowded.

The delta variant is around 6 times more contagious than the one from Wuhan ...

It is the proper and flawless wearing of the mask and the safety distances that can reduce the transmission.

With the slung masks that are used during one week, Thailand is off to a bad start ...

Edited by vvdb.fr
  • Cool 1

“…..the TAT says Pattaya’s vaccination rate is currently nowhere near the 70% necessary for herd immunity.” Oh for heaven’s sake. The ignorance of these people is breathtaking. We hear ‘herd immunity’ spouted every single day but there is no such thing especially with the delta variant.  It’s an illusion. The UK has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world and LOOK at their reported infection rates - around 30,000 per day. That’s more than 50% higher than Thailand. Covid-19 is endemic and here to stay. Vaccination will limit your likelihood of becoming seriously ill or even being aware that you have contracted the virus but that is all. When the world eventually stops treating Covid-19 like the Black Death then we might get back to some semblance of normality. 

• Cool 1