Foreigner attacked from behind on crosswalk by angry motorist - Chiang Mai

shanghailoz

Chiang Mai Lamphun Rd.

An 80 year old foreigner crossing the street at a crosswalk in Chiang Mai gets attacked by a Thai motorist.
The foreigner allegedly hit the Thai man's car with his hand as he nearly drove into him.
In the video you can see the Thai man stop his car, run after the foreigner and kick him in the back knocking him to the ground from behind.
The man then runs away.

Police have told the foreigner he has 30 days to press charges.  Pretty disgusting, having watched the video.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChiangMaiNewsinEnglish/posts/882229849100031/

That is pretty disgusting, I hope the old guy presses charges.

Surely there must be CCTV of the licence plate, and plenty of other video to screw the coward driver to the wall.

Edited by Golden-Triangle
Extra info
  • Like 1

I saw this in the Thai news I think yesterday. Rimping market Chiang Mai by the steel bridge. I go there on and off weekly, and was just there the other day. It is true that idiot drivers disregard that crosswalk and will not stop unless you force them. If you look at the video, apparently this upstanding Thai driver didn’t want to stop and did a cut right woop-dee-do to keep going around the  pedestrians. And so the foreigner tapped the rear of his car and little tough Thai guy got mad. If that was me I would have caught the S O B and pounded him. Not talking tough, but I am still agile and pretty fit and ornery and that would have set me off big time. No room for little chicken sh** jerks like that. But lastly, I know the cross walk well and probably wouldn’t have tapped his car in the first place. Common event there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golden-Triangle said:

That is pretty disgusting, I hope the old guy presses charges.

Surely there must be CCTV of the licence plate, and plenty of other video to screw the coward driver to the wall.

There are cc cameras on the Main Street there. Easy to find. 

• Like 2

Not sure, I think quite recently, last 2-3 days. 

Police have the drivers details at least from what you can infer from the limited news on this so far.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Not sure, I think quite recently, last 2-3 days. 

Police have the drivers details at least from what you can infer from the limited news on this so far.

Was just asking. I went in and out for a quick bottle of wine and some mushrooms late afternoon Friday. For the older foreigners you tend to see many go quite often as some seem to like to go shopping or perhaps just there for enjoyment of something to do. I am about once a week now and oddly end up seeing many of the same ones. Heck, they could be going a couple times a day everyday for all I know. I bounce around. But that pedestrian crossing no thai likes to stop. Sort of can be like the Video game frogger.  

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Was just asking. I went in and out for a quick bottle of wine and some mushrooms late afternoon Friday. For the older foreigners you tend to see many go quite often as some seem to like to go shopping or perhaps just there for enjoyment of something to do. I am about once a week now and oddly end up seeing many of the same ones. Heck, they could be going a couple times a day everyday for all I know. I bounce around. But that pedestrian crossing no thai likes to stop. Sort of can be like the Video game frogger.  

I honestly don't know.  Saw this on social media, was quite appalled, and didn't see it on thethaiger yet, so posted it.

• Like 1

Simple solution to these kinds of crossings is to raise them slightly - i.e. a brick level up from the main road, so that cars need to slow down to cross.

Or, stick a cop or two there to sit and fine everyone that drives through without letting the pedestrians pass.
Easy money spinner that, surprised no-one has suggested that yet to the cops.

24 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Simple solution to these kinds of crossings is to raise them slightly - i.e. a brick level up from the main road, so that cars need to slow down to cross.

Or, stick a cop or two there to sit and fine everyone that drives through without letting the pedestrians pass.

Yeah I saw it on the Thai TV news and my kids pointed quickly and said Rimping Super market. Unfortunately it is already a raised up crosswalk if you look. Like definitely a little more elevated than the lower street level. Thai drivers typically see the pedestrians, doesn’t matter what nationality or Thai, and always speed up trying to not stop right there. I can say the majority of the time. The guards are usually in the parking lot or at the door. In the video the guard said he was 70-80 years old. I do t think people want to see police all that much. The store always has a couple hired security guards that could easily do it, but I gather they wouldn’t want to all the time. Sometimes they help the older folk. They are actually really ok. 

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah I saw it on the Thai TV news and my kids pointed quickly and said Rimping Super market. Unfortunately it is already a raised up crosswalk if you look. Like definitely a little more elevated than the lower street level. Thai drivers typically see the pedestrians, doesn’t matter what nationality or Thai, and always speed up trying to not stop right there. I can say the majority of the time. The guards are usually in the parking lot or at the door. In the video the guard said he was 70-80 years old. I do t think people want to see police all that much. The store always has a couple hired security guards that could easily do it, but I gather they wouldn’t want to all the time. Sometimes they help the older folk. They are actually really ok. 

Ah, couldn't see that in the video.

You can see a bunch of people running over to help the guy, including the security guard at the end of the video, so not everyone is a complete douchenozzle like the driver in question.

When I fell over on my moped (was going a little too slowly around the corner) I had a bunch of people run over to help me up and lift the bike up, so my own experiences here are good.  Completely different to China, where people will literally ignore you, and not help at all.

12 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Ah, couldn't see that in the video.

You can see a bunch of people running over to help the guy, including the security guard at the end of the video, so not everyone is a complete douchenozzle like the driver in question.

When I fell over on my moped (was going a little too slowly around the corner) I had a bunch of people run over to help me up and lift the bike up, so my own experiences here are good.  Completely different to China, where people will literally ignore you, and not help at all.

Yeah it actually is raised to the height of the curb so people with carts can just wheel across to the parking lot. Rimping is a CM high end store chain and the security guards are very helpful if they see you need help. Yeah, generally everyone in Thailand is caring to help most times. One of the attributes they have.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 6:08 PM, Faraday said:

Got any Doves...? 😉

So this is what is sounds like....... when Doves Cry....(receives cease and desist letter)

On 8/23/2021 at 12:20 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah it actually is raised to the height of the curb so people with carts can just wheel across to the parking lot. Rimping is a CM high end store chain and the security guards are very helpful if they see you need help. Yeah, generally everyone in Thailand is caring to help most times. One of the attributes they have.

Oh the stories I could tell when I used to cook for Rimping.......(pulls up a chair)

On 8/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, shanghailoz said:

Police sit in air-conditioned booths at intersections and watch this type of behavior every day.

23 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Police sit in air-conditioned booths at intersections and watch this type of behavior every day.

Your police must be hi so having a/c.😀

Up here in the frozen north (Isaan) the 5 Oh, just hang around outside, play with their phones a bit, & pish off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Oh the stories I could tell when I used to cook for Rimping.......(pulls up a chair)

You ever meet the owner? You know, that family?