News Forum - Police officers seen dining in restaurant despite Covid-19 rules

Thaiger

A picture and story have gone viral on Thai social media where people complained about the inequality in who has to follow rules and who doesn’t. The uproar was caused by 2 police officers who were spotted dining in a local restaurant in Bangkok despite continued Covid-19 restrictions prohibiting dine-in service. The police officers were identified to be from the Rom Klao force and were seen in a larb restaurant while other patrons were waiting on the street for their takeaway orders, as is allowed by current Covid-19 rules. Rom Klao’s police chief confirmed to the media that the officers […]

The post Police officers seen dining in restaurant despite Covid-19 rules appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

555! The restaurant owner knew they were friendly & gave them a free meal. Give me a break, we all know that they were there to collect their protection money. Their income must have dropped a lot due to Covid, and when restrictions are eased they will find that many of their tea money sources will not reopen. My heart bleeds for them. Not!

• Like 6

Thaigre has to be the slowest report of the news ever. I saw this on Thai tv news yesterday. The Thai news had a way better picture. You could see them sitting and eating at a table.

Of course. The police here are above the law. Hey Prayuth. What about your promise to fight corruption? I doubt if you remember back this far, but when you and your clowns launched a coup, it was ostensibly to restore law and order, which you accomplished with draconian measures, and to get rid of the rot, and corruption in immigration, the police, customs, the government, and at the highest levels, which you never even made the slightest attempt to do. You substituted 10 foot alligators, with 14 foot crocodiles.

And you have spent your entire 7 toxic years protecting the elite, those in office, the army, the police, those who are connected, and the super wealthy. For God's sake, you could not even bring the Dark Tao killer to justice, nor the Red Bull creep. Again, busy protecting the wealthy with all of your power. 

GeneralTweets_Article-350x250.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A picture and story have gone viral on Thai social media where people complained about the inequality in who has to follow rules and who doesn’t. The uproar was caused by 2 police officers who were spotted dining in a local restaurant in Bangkok despite continued Covid-19 restrictions prohibiting dine-in service. The police officers were identified to be from the Rom Klao force and were seen in a larb restaurant while other patrons were waiting on the street for their takeaway orders, as is allowed by current Covid-19 rules. Rom Klao’s police chief confirmed to the media that the officers […]

The post Police officers seen dining in restaurant despite Covid-19 rules appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What we need is 24x7 surveillance of the people who are responsible for these lockdown laws, not their enforcers. We should also be able to enter their homes if we suspect they have more than 5 people, or if they are drinking.

Lets see then how long these lockdowns last

• Like 1

For goodness sake give them a break, one of them did explain it was lunchtime and they were hungry!!

And these restaurant owners are famous for being persistent and wearing you down, two on duty police officers never stood a chance and felt obliged to break the law they are paid to uphold. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I think if you are allowed to stand in a line and one or two meters away from other people, why can't you sit at a table by yourself and be one or two meters away from anyone?  Sorry but that's logical to me but it doesn't seem that the people in the government that make these rules use the same logic that the rest of us do. 

• Like 3

What would have happened if I went to sit down when they there and order my lunch? They would arrest me... no exceptions... relieve them of their duties... It simply stinks.....

Edited by King Cotton
Minor typo fixed ('It' instead of 'I' which KC had to laugh at!)
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

19 minutes ago, Paco said:

Many excuses stated for that. Could be shorter...

They in the wrong and will be punished. But nothing of that

But they weren't punished.

"It appears no punishment has been given to the police officers dining illegally or the restaurant owner who offered to serve them."

Once again, the double standard applies and is done with impunity. It's no wonder Thais are becoming disgusted with those in power.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For me an officer that breaks the law is just a shit of a dog in the street, I step over it and walk on, once they break the law for me they just like anyone else, and I do not have to obey them ever. They just another person on the street. Did it many times when they stopped me for no reason in the past and try to write down a bill. I kept my hand on my key and say you are a liar I am going to leave now.. and drove off.. reaction?... none, because they know they in the wrong

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

OMG

if that defence from the officers holds up with their Commissioner , then it looks like the General public can get away with breaking the laws as well !!

you just say I had to take my medication !

so I can dine in my friends restaurant!

what a load of Baloney???

so I insisted you break the law, and it was lunchtime?

Give me a break?

Ridiculous!

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

That’s the poorest excuse I ever heard?

Especially from Police?

They should be stood down for very bad excuses?

would not get 2 out of 10

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Brock said:

I think if you are allowed to stand in a line and one or two meters away from other people, why can't you sit at a table by yourself and be one or two meters away from anyone?  Sorry but that's logical to me but it doesn't seem that the people in the government that make these rules use the same logic that the rest of us do. 

Yes that sounds a logical solution but it is all about space 50 people social distancing  3 feet apart and you require without allowing room for table and chairs 450 square feet ,6 foot apart 1,800 square feet. 

Not many restaurants have this much space.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brock said:

Fair comment but, as the old maxim goes 'Rules is rules', no matter how illogical they may seem. And your debut post, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Brock and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

This is playing out all over Thailand,sitting at side walk and outside food shops, masks down at tables that seat 4 , 1 meter apart from each other!

Police or no police

• Like 2

Unbelievable!!!

I wonder what would have been happened if i was the one dining in.

Break my heart to see that nothing is changing in Thailand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Michaelbusnelli said:

Unbelievable!!!

I wonder what would have been happened if i was the one dining in.

Break my heart to see that nothing is changing in Thailand.

Unbelievable is the word, for sure. And your 2nd post, too . . . sorry I missed your debut, earlier.

Hello, Michaelbusnelli and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paco said:

What would have happened if I went to sit down when they there and order my lunch? They would arrest me... no exceptions... relieve them of their duties... It simply stinks.....

Well said @Paco, but it may depend if they were “on duty”! I recall some years ago in Rayong sitting in a cafe watching a group of police stopping people who were on motorbikes not wearing helmets. I spent a happy 45 mins watching them leap out in to the road, blowing whistles and even occasionally chasing them a short distance. There must have been 10 police involved at the junction and they caught many. Shortly afterwards I paid the bill and got on to my own motorbike being careful to wear my helmet, as I turned left, two of the police pulled out in front of me on their bikes and we drove 100 metres to the next set of traffic lights. At the lights were three young boys on two bikes with no helmet!  Oh dear I thought to myself. Those youngsters are in trouble now!  The police pulled along side them. Never even looked at the boys. Lights turned to green and we all drove on. Amazing Thailand. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brock said:

In the queue you're wearing a mask you don't take off.

Sitting at a table feeding your face, you're not.

I'm neither defending it nor complaining about it, but I would have thought the logic was obvious.

4 hours ago, riclag said:

This is playing out all over Thailand,sitting at side walk and outside food shops, masks down at tables that seat 4 , 1 meter apart from each other!

Police or no police

Well, remember it's not banned in most provinces.

.... yet ...

• Haha 1