News Forum - Police arrest 21 people at Pattaya party violating Covid-19 decree

Thaiger

16 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I don't understand why you people get your knickers in a twist over the word "farang".

We use it all the time, not as a derogatory term, but as a general term for a white foreigner.

None of my Thai family or friends use it as an insult.  Maybe the farang in your part of the country are looked down upon for their own sake.

These party idiots need the book thrown at them.  I would wager it was a "sense of privilege" that enabled them to think they were okay in flouting the decrees.

Or that they are alcoholics and simply dont wish to drink alone, nor do they respect themselves or others, but maybe they do have the sense of privilege. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

41 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

It really is something, lockdowns, masks and social distancing all work we are told, yet "case" numbers go up, then the authorities can just say the people did not obey good enough and we need to lock down harder and longer...rinse, repeat.

I imagine in about 2 years from now when we are in full lockdown some of these people might start to question their loyalty to the cult of covid.

Please try harder not to be a moron.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Still waiting for any information about any charges or fines being actually imposed at any of such imbeciles. Maybe Thaiger should do some follow up on these party stories

Ask RTP to provide a list of "fines"?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Ask RTP to provide a list of "fines"?

I know how much they could be fined, I like to know who was fined and how much, if any 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Human rights supersede any local laws, especially when the law is ill considered and inhumane. Law is the justification used by the USA to incarcerate Japanese in the Second World War, or Chinas treatment of the Uygurs

Bans on what people are allowed to do in the privacy of their own private spaces should never be allowed without some kind of democratic oversight.

If we keep letting governments get away with these immoral, and possibly illegal laws, we are going to become like North Korea and China.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that there are so many selfish, incompassionate simple minded people, who mindlessly support the incarceration of young people—some of which are well represented on this forum—on the excuse that "its the law"

I wonder if these people really understand that they are advocating for a police state.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Just now, AdamX said:

Human rights supersede any local laws, especially when the law is ill considered and inhumane. Law is the justification used by the USA to incarcerate Japanese in the Second World War, or Chinas treatment of the Uygurs

Bans on what people are allowed to do in the privacy of their own private spaces should never be allowed without some kind of democratic oversight.

If we keep letting governments get away with these immoral, and possibly illegal laws, we are going to become like North Korea and China.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that there are so many selfish, incompassionate simple minded people, who mindlessly support the incarceration of young people—some of which are well represented on this forum—on the excuse that "its the law"

I wonder if these people really understand that they are advocating for a police state.

That's a fine speech, and possibly almost true, so when can the Thai nation expect you to come and stand up for their rights publicly on their behalf ?

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I don't understand why you people get your knickers in a twist over the word "farang".

We use it all the time, not as a derogatory term, but as a general term for a white foreigner.

None of my Thai family or friends use it as an insult.  Maybe the farang in your part of the country are looked down upon for their own sake.

These party idiots need the book thrown at them.  I would wager it was a "sense of privilege" that enabled them to think they were okay in flouting the decrees.

When was the last time you were called a farang, at immigration, in the bank, pharmacy, Amphur...? 

You will not find a well educated Thai say the word. Most Thais cannot even pronounce it correctly. 

Mind you in the case of these Pattaya miscreants, I can imagine in the Provincial Court, "March in the guilty farangs and their lying friends". 

• Haha 1

So you have a group of people sitting around at the side of the road in full view of anyone passing by but it takes a phone call from "a concerned citizen" to get the BIB into action, I guess they were busy at the station filing some reports ?

TIT.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AdamX said:

They use it already to opress the people, the free speech and opinion. 

37 minutes ago, billyburi said:

When was the last time you were called a farang, at immigration, in the bank, pharmacy, Amphur...? 

You will not find a well educated Thai say the word. Most Thais cannot even pronounce it correctly. 

Mind you in the case of these Pattaya miscreants, I can imagine in the Provincial Court, "March in the guilty farangs and their lying friends". 

And I think he doesn't understand the phrase he used with farang word. Sombody who understand Thai it is aware about it and cannot apologize it to tell as a joke. And my Thai family is aware of the phrases and I really wondering that his Thai family use it all the time. Maybe he not understand Thai very well, especially phrases to understand the meaning.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

That's a fine speech, and possibly almost true, so when can the Thai nation expect you to come and stand up for their rights publicly on their behalf ?

If you have a point, please make it

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

They use it already to opress the people, the free speech and opinion. 

We expect this from Governments.

What shocks me is that there are people on this forum that not only support the police state, but actually celebrate it

How can it be ok to lock up young people for having a party in a private space, based on a law that no one asked for?

• Like 1

And they got arrested correct? What about the police officers that dining in the restaurant. In bangkok? they free to go... governments your rules are BULLOCKS just like the entire government...

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, billyburi said:

Which is odd, given that it's a Thai word........

• Cool 1

Stop this nonsense. Covid is not going away even with vaccinations. Lock downs don't work please look at the data. 2 years jail for being human. This has to stop 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Ronaldus said:

Stop this nonsense. Covid is not going away even with vaccinations. Lock downs don't work please look at the data. 2 years jail for being human. This has to stop 

A bit tough on the cops, right now, in a 'damned if you do - damned if you don't' scenario, regarding party busts.

But thanks for this, your 3rd post, Ronaldus and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

Why do you use such a derogatory term about your own people? Do you think it somehow endears you to the Thais? You are wrong if you do. 

Hi Soidog.  "Interesting"  comment.  But first who are my "own people"? Do I smell a little racial superiority in that comment? For all you know I could be African ...... but I'm not. And I have no idea who they are too.  Could be German, English, Norwegian, American etc .......... who knows.

What I do  now is they fall into a well known and often used category "farang". A word used commonly by nearly all Thais and certainly a lot of Westerners. No-one, unless they are struggling with some self identity issues, cares less about the use of this word.  Just like Westerners will use the all encompassing categories such as "Asian, Arab, African, Latino etc etc." Not ideal .. not really accurate .. but they do nvertheless.

And as this is a Thai Forum, it should not be unusual for many members to use such a term.  And as for being derogatory you need to harden up a little son. Translated it simply means "Foreign Bird Shit" Or put another way, a shitty foreigner. Hardly the most offensive term.  So before you have too many more beers, lighten up a little LOL.

And by the way your forum ID is "Soi dog"  This is a term only used in Thailand. Please dont tell me you use this name as  "you think it somehow endears you to the Thais?" (you really need to get out more)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

And I think he doesn't understand the phrase he used with farang word. Sombody who understand Thai it is aware about it and cannot apologize it to tell as a joke. And my Thai family is aware of the phrases and I really wondering that his Thai family use it all the time. Maybe he not understand Thai very well, especially phrases to understand the meaning.

I think you need to get out a little more often. 

9 hours ago, Objectivance said:

There's a bizarre group of foreigners in Thailand that have the delusion that they'll be considered a local, if they mimic what locals say and do in regards to foreigners. It's one of the more hilarious things to see in Thailand. Similar to that of a horse spray painting itself with stripes and walking around saying Zebra things. 🤣🤦‍♂️

I'm not certain if they believe this behavior will grant them special treatment at a counter somewhere, or give them an overall advantage, or to gain trust to improve access to certain age groups. 🤔

Yes some good observations there. I see them too. They think because they speak a little pigeon Thai or simply put the word Krup at the end of their English that makes them fluent in Thai. They also insist they have no problem eating Som Tam even though their eyeballs turn red and sweat pours from them. I think many of these people fall in to two broad categories. Those that genuinely love Thailand for all it’s worth and blind to its negative points (I see many English like that towards the French). Or they have thrown the dice and put all they have in to Thailand and are unable to countenance the thought they may have made a massive mistake in life. 

Like many people, when I first made the decision to spend 80% of my time in Thailand, I too was singing it’s virtues. The warm weather, the relaxed lifestyle, the cheaper cost of living. I even played Thai music in my car (not that Mor Lam nonsense😂). But as the years have passed I’ve seen Thailand in a different light. I still love the place and many of its people along with its natural beauty spots, but I also see many of its negatives. I see no harm in accepting it’s not perfect,  just as my home country is far from perfect. But I haven’t lost the truth of who I am and I would never run down my people or my country unnecessarily to endear myself to Thais or Thailand. 

• Like 2

So The Tree Town Massive have finally been lifted ? 

Now knowing quite a few of these specimens as I do I don't no about Covid but there was a high chance of an outbreak of pubic lice and scabies 5555555