News Forum - Vaccine developers calls for 3 billion baht to release by Songkran

Thaiger

A research leader for one of the 4 Covid-19 vaccines developers in Thailand has pushed for a government fund of 3 billion baht to accelerate development and have vaccines out by Songkran 2022. Kiat Ruxrungtham, the research team lead for Chula-VAC001, an mRNA vaccine being developed by the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University, has spent the last few days advocating for funding. The doctor made another plea while meeting with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha when he came to the university to be briefed on the vaccine’s progress. He also said that funding and registering the vaccines should be allowed […]

The post Vaccine developers calls for 3 billion baht to release by Songkran appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Spot the veiled and subtle threat here?   Either cough up, or our lack of vaccine development may lead to another Songkran debacle . . . like last year. Not a nice way to go about getting necessary(?) funding.

Almost a brown envelope but without the envelope.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Spot the veiled and subtle threat here?   Either cough up, or our lack of vaccine development may lead to another Songkran debacle . . . like last year. Not a nice way to go about getting necessary(?) funding.

Almost a brown envelope but without the envelope.

Probably nothing more will be heard if 50% of that 3 billion is first deposited into certain offshore bank accounts given the type of people that run/own/influence these facilities. Anyway every cloud has a silver lining so the Caymans or BVI can look forward to having some more washing requirements to attend to.

They are too late and will always be behind the curve. Current mRNA vaccine manufacturers continue R&D and will improve even further.

If the Thai vaccine developers are serious and have a good product, then they will have spent tens of billions already and will easily be able to get 3 billion extra from private investors.

The 3 billion is better spent buying 6.5 million existing mRNA vaccines to vaccinate 3.25 million people a.s.a.p. instead of a promise for sometime next year, which we all know will never happen on time.

• Like 3

Unrelated, but the news has not yet appeared in Thailand:

AstraZeneca is applying for approval for the first specific medicine (not a vaccine) against Covid19 infection. It is a combination of 2 antibodies.

It is meant for people who respond poorly to vaccination or who take immunosuppressants (post transplant, autoimmune disease) etc.

So good news for some vulnerable groups.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Unrelated, but the news has not yet appeared in Thailand:

AstraZeneca is applying for approval for the first specific medicine (not a vaccine) against Covid19 infection. It is a combination of 2 antibodies.

It is meant for people who respond poorly to vaccination or who take immunosuppressants (post transplant, autoimmune disease) etc.

So good news for some vulnerable groups.

That should have been the response in the first place.  Instead of aiming for mass-vaccinating with emergency approved vaccines of which nobody knows the longer-term consequences (the adverse effects are getting more clear with every passing day), the focus should have been on focused protection for the vulnerable and at risk groups (like the Great Barrington declaration advocated).

I am glad I got 2 shots of AZ and paid for Moderna booster next year, cause this snake oil could replace all good stuff if succeeded 

• Haha 1

But again another company working (copying) on the original virus, not the new variants!  And only 30 million a year that's 2.5 million month  

• Cool 1

waste of time and money, how long if ever would it take other countries to recognize a Thai made vaccine? most don't even accept AZ if you get it here.

25 minutes ago, thai3 said:

waste of time and money, how long if ever would it take other countries to recognize a Thai made vaccine? most don't even accept AZ if you get it here.

And they now only use AZ on people age 60+ anyway, as on younger ones it has too many severe side effects.

I said it before. We have very well performing mRNA vaccines. Why re-invent the wheel? Just order more a s.a.p. because those 30 million that are on order are not enough by far.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And they now only use AZ on people age 60+ anyway, as on younger ones it has too many severe side effects.

I said it before. We have very well performing mRNA vaccines. Why re-invent the wheel? Just order more a s.a.p. because those 30 million that are on order are not enough by far.

National pride? but then they are not even doing this on their own and the last effort in that direction ended up in a lack of vaccines

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You wrote > We have very well performing mRNA vaccines. 

Tell that to the Israeli population! They are the 'world lab' (the words from the Pfizer CEO) for the Pfizer mRNA vaccines, with almost 80% of the eligible population innoculated.  And they are currently experiencing break-outs with 536 infections per 100K, with as good as no difference between vaxxed/unvaxxed.  Currently the desperate Israeli authorities are applying the 3rd mRNA shot to boost the waning protection effect of the mRNA covid-vaccines.  But while effectiveness wanes, the irrepairable vaccine adverse effects of an mRNA jab detoriorates with every new shot. 

I hate to say this > but imo the vaxxed part (i.e the majority) of the Israeli population are doomed, and they will heavily regret having taken the short-term effect jab with the life-long (or rather death-short) adverse consequences.

8 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Tell that to the Israeli population! They are the 'world lab' (the words from the Pfizer CEO) for the Pfizer mRNA vaccines, with almost 80% of the eligible population innoculated.  And they are currently experiencing break-outs with 536 infections per 100K, with as good as no difference between vaxxed/unvaxxed.  Currently the desperate Israeli authorities are applying the 3rd mRNA shot to boost the waning protection effect of the mRNA covid-vaccines.  But while effectiveness wanes, the irrepairable vaccine adverse effects of an mRNA jab detoriorates with every new shot. 

I hate to say this > but imo the vaxxed part (i.e the majority) of the Israeli population are doomed, and they will heavily regret having taken the short-term effect jab with the life-long (or rather death-short) adverse consequences.

I've just looked up Israel data it says only 60% fully vaccinated and 65% single vaccinated.. well below the predicted herd immunity...you know vaccines don't shoot the virus out of the air!  just prepare your body for when you do catch covid it shortens the time you have it and lessens the symptoms! This in return lessons the spread of it

Screenshot_20210821-104729_Google.jpg

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I've just looked up Israel data it says only 60% fully vaccinated and 65% single vaccinated.. well below the predicted herd immunity...you know vaccines don't shoot the virus out of the air!  just prepare your body for when you do catch covid it shortens the time you have it and lessens the symptoms! This in return lessons the spread of it

Screenshot_20210821-104729_Google.jpg

That 60% figure is correct, when talking about the TOTAL population.  The almost 80% vaccination rate is when talking about the ELIGIBLE population for the vax (which means 12 years and older).

See the excerpt below from > https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/08/20/1029628471/highly-vaccinated-israel-is-seeing-a-dramatic-surge-in-new-covid-cases-heres-why

The country jumped out ahead of all other countries on vaccines, and 78% of eligible Israelis over 12 years old are vaccinated.

But Israel has a young population, with many under the eligible age for vaccination, and about 1.1 million eligible Israelis, largely between the ages of 12 and 20, have declined to take even one dose of the vaccine.

That means only 58% of Israel's total citizenry is fully vaccinated.

35 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Hold on!

It was 536 per million. Not per 100.000. (It's now actually 650, but that's besides the point) So that's roughly a factor 10 lower than you quoted.

And of the new cases only half are in vaccinated people, so that's another factor 2 lower.

The number is 536/10/2=27 cases per 100.000.

Very different story now.

And it only concerns the delta variant, to which all vaccines have reduced effect.

Anyway, it shows my case for vaccinating and remaining careful afterwards. As Covid will not go away but become endemic, so caution remains prudent.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

Edited by Bob20
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Hold on!

It was 536 per million. Not per 100.000. (It's now actually 650, but that's besides the point) So that's roughly a factor 10 lower than you quoted.

And of the new cases only half are in vaccinated people, so that's another factor 2 lower.

The number is 536/10/2=27 cases per million.

Very different story now.

And it only concerns the delta variant, to which all vaccines have reduced effect.

Anyway, it shows my case for vaccinating and remaining careful afterwards. As Covid will not go away but become endemic, so caution remains prudent.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08/grim-warning-israel-vaccination-blunts-does-not-defeat-delta

Then Reuters must be wrong - lol....

image.thumb.png.14e2be1149e00d8a26f28f807a99c08a.png

21 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Then Reuters must be wrong - lol....

image.thumb.png.14e2be1149e00d8a26f28f807a99c08a.png

Yup. Very few news outlets report accurately. They know something about everything, but sometimes know very little about something specific.

Edited by Bob20
Made it somewhat kinder 😉
  • Thanks 1

Its is really not that much for the rich to donate. Or if everyone in parliament kicked in from what the scoop they could probably do that a million times over that.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:39 AM, thai3 said:

National pride? but then they are not even doing this on their own and the last effort in that direction ended up in a lack of vaccines

I guess it’s good for a country to have its own vaccine development capabilities, but this smacks of National pride to me. The Thais should stick to what they do best. You know, the erm, what’s it called?  The thingy. It’s on the tip of my tongue. I nearly had it then😉….

On 8/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, Paco said:

Let's fill up the water guns with vaccine, everyone will be vaccinated in 1 day

We'll call it SongkranVax.

• Haha 2