Talk Forum - Protester injured and loses sight in one eye, family plans legal action

Thaiger

On 8/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, HolyCowCm said:

And do you have a Thai wife and kids here too in today's Thailand? You say been coming, so are you living in Thailand now? The general attitude from every Thai I hear from is get the bums out. Well we actually do have an aunt who idolizes them and the monarchy. But we are not going to go there and none of us talk to her.

I have been married to my Thai wife since 1972.  I met her at university in New Zealand.  We live in Thailand now since has final phase altzheimer/dementia.  I pay for her 24/7 personal carer and all her and the carers living costs. You need to get out more as "EVERY" Thai you meet says "Get the bums out?  It's very easy for people to criticise and demonstrate their strong opinions, but I suggest you first must earn that privilege.  No-one is borne of rights.  They are the result of hard work.  And your decision to disrespect the aunt because she has a different opinion you have absorbed zero Thai culture.  You should be ashamed, as should the rest of your family.  The monarch has not been given an easy task to fill his fathers' shoes.  But he still accepts the responsibility even knowing he can never fill them.  Thai people for years' have stated the false belief that Rama 9 would be the last of the dynasty.  Yet at the same time spoke of supporting the Princess who does all the good works as being a better role model.  I suggest her father would not support that as he knows just waht a hard task lay ahead.

On 8/24/2021 at 8:48 AM, Bob20 said:

There are lots of people that live in Thailand all their lives. And they can often have completely opposing views.

That you live here 50 years is no reason why you should know the state of affairs.

As you said "Saying so does not make it so".

That goes for you too.

EXACTLY my point.  I am a guest here.  Always will be.  I have no right to criticise my hosts.  I  get pi....ed off with the many expats who think they have the right to criticise Khun Thai.  and society, and government, and yes monarchy.  (Except political wannabees and rabble rousers and student protesters who really know squat about the reality of life).  I have seen massive improvements in Thai welfare over the years, so something must be going right.  Just because it's not the way western democracy works does not mean the system is broken.   

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, RWD said:

EXACTLY my point.  I am a guest here.  Always will be.  I have no right to criticise my hosts.  I  get pi....ed off with the many expats who think they have the right to criticise Khun Thai.  and society, and government, and yes monarchy.  (Except political wannabees and rabble rousers and student protesters who really know squat about the reality of life).  I have seen massive improvements in Thai welfare over the years, so something must be going right.  Just because it's not the way western democracy works does not mean the system is broken.   

I stay well clear of foreigners who only complain about Thais and the country over coffee or beer.

I'm a guest and there is a reason that I like and enjoy it here. That means you take the good and the bad.

It makes me think of all the immigrants that go to Europe for freedom and a better life. And then they start imposing the same restrictions on women as in their original country. And want Sharia-law instead of the legal system of the country where they moved to. Slowly wanting to change it to to the country and system where they came from.

Then they could have stayed there in the first place!

And if you so dislike it here that that's your main topic of conversations, then you can catch a plane home. Even in Covid-time you are always allowed back in your country of origin.

11 minutes ago, RWD said:

I have been married to my Thai wife since 1972.  I met her at university in New Zealand.  We live in Thailand now since has final phase altzheimer/dementia.  I pay for her 24/7 personal carer and all her and the carers living costs. You need to get out more as "EVERY" Thai you meet says "Get the bums out?  It's very easy for people to criticise and demonstrate their strong opinions, but I suggest you first must earn that privilege.  No-one is borne of rights.  They are the result of hard work.  And your decision to disrespect the aunt because she has a different opinion you have absorbed zero Thai culture.  You should be ashamed, as should the rest of your family.  The monarch has not been given an easy task to fill his fathers' shoes.  But he still accepts the responsibility even knowing he can never fill them.  Thai people for years' have stated the false belief that Rama 9 would be the last of the dynasty.  Yet at the same time spoke of supporting the Princess who does all the good works as being a better role model.  I suggest her father would not support that as he knows just waht a hard task lay ahead.

Ok, I now know where you are coming from and your opposite viewpoints on things, and we do greatly vary on them. Ofcourse you know nothing about me and it seems a little off on how you responded.  I very nicely asked you a couple of questions because you did not come off clear. Still don't know how long you have actually lived here as being married to a Thai for 49 years and living in another country most of that time is not the same as hands on. No need to further discuss anything about Thailand. Better we don't and I will not lay judgment on you and best you do not on me. 

I have 30 years here with an immediate Thai family with my adult kids at home as well as a big extended Thai family that we are active with. Ok, you have been married with the same Thai woman you love and take care of and that is very respectable. I am sorry to hear of her declining health.  Have a good day, and maybe on any other subject we can talk to each other about, but this is a closed subject now. Good luck

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And if you so dislike it here that that's your main topic of conversations, then you can catch a plane home. Even in Covid-time you are always allowed back in your country of origin.

Congratulations. And we have a winner here. Always strikes me funny when I read this statement.

For me it is not my main topic of conversation or ever has been, but do have an opinion and feeling for my kids futures here and they want change for the lives and futures. Also my wife and family do have very similar feelings as well as their friends and so forth. And this is not just restricted to one area as we are all spread out in different places. I think I qualify to have my own opinion as been here for decades and do have 3 children all over the age of 18 here which 2 are currently in University. Now the right of anything here, no most all of us foreigners do not as is impossible and they do not want and allow it, but my family and children do. 

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Congratulations. And we have a winner here. Always strikes me funny when I read this statement.

For me it is not my main topic of conversation or ever has been, but do have an opinion and feeling for my kids futures here and they want change for the lives and futures. Also my wife and family do have very similar feelings as well as their friends and so forth. And this is not just restricted to one area as we are all spread out in different places. I think I qualify to have my own opinion as been here for decades and do have 3 children all over the age of 18 here which 2 are currently in University. Now the right of anything here, no most all of us foreigners do not as is impossible and they do not want and allow it, but my family and children do. 

I think you misunderstand my post.

I'm not against progress, or we wouldn't be typing here, but chiseling in a tree.

I clearly said I dislike those who only complain

Of course, I encourage better education, better road-safety and a thousand things more. But you don't bring about change by constantly only ranting how bad it is here! Get of the barstool and do something about it if you feel so strongly. Don't just whine. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I think you misunderstand my post.

I'm not against progress, or we wouldn't be typing here, but chiseling in a tree.

I clearly said I dislike those who only complain

Of course, I encourage better education, better road-safety and a thousand things more. But you don't bring about change by constantly only ranting how bad it is here! Get of the barstool and do something about it if you feel so strongly. Don't just whine. 

Sorry Bob20, my apologies. I really never go to bars even when open, not meaning I don't enjoy an out every so often once upon a time as it seems so long ago now as we are restricted.. Because I am at my desk as have things I do everyday for what I do, I break up my day by posting in-between things to try keep monotony and boredom low. Today has been a pushing day, so now as of just having lunch with the kids I am more reserved. For Thailand there is no other place I would rather be, and nothing is perfect, but having me and my family and dogs is what I love the best..   Cheers. 

• Like 2