The effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine declines faster than AstraZeneca

Andrew Reeve

1966183216_Thaigernews.thumb.JPG.3706e6d2bb1f3f476ccb563fcf33d039.JPG

According to a recent study published yesterday, the effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination against Covid-19 falls faster than that of the AstraZeneca vaccine. According to Oxford University researchers, “two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech had stronger initial effectiveness against new Covid-19 infections, but this diminishes faster than two doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca.”

The study, which has not been peer reviewed, is based on the findings of a survey conducted by the Office for National Statistics in the United Kingdom, which used PCR tests on randomly selected houses from December 2020 to August 2021. The university's Nuffield Department of Medicine, said "the dynamics of immunity following second doses differed dramatically" between Pfizer and AstraZeneca.

When looking at a period of several months following full immunization, Pfizer had "higher initial effectiveness," but "reduced faster in protection against high viral burden and symptomatic infection," while rates remained low for both shots. The scientists said, "Results imply that the effectiveness of these two vaccines would be equivalent after four to five months," while noting that long-term effects must be investigated.

The findings of the study are being released as Israel prepares to provide booster shots after giving 58 percent of the population two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. Following concerns regarding the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines' reducing effectiveness, the US is planning to issue booster injections to increase antibody levels.

The Oxford study also discovered that people who had already been infected with the virus had better protection.

The study looked at two groups of 300,000 persons over the age of 18, the first during the time when the Alpha variant was dominant, which emerged in Kent, southeast England, and the second from May 2021 onwards, when the Delta variant has now been dominant. It confirmed that vaccines against Delta, which was first discovered in India, are less effective.

In the United Kingdom, the AstraZeneca vaccination is the most readily available, whereas people under the age of 40 are given Pfizer or Moderna due to blood clotting concerns.

Source: News.com.au

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

One dose of delta and 2 of ivermectin sounds like a good bet for a healthy young fella like me 😎

Make mine a pint 😁 which will help to wash down the water monitor poo which I have heard from the local witch doctor can also help, but only when taken on the night of a full moon .😂

22 minutes ago, gummy said:

Make mine a pint 😁 which will help to wash down the water monitor poo which I have heard from the local witch doctor can also help, but only when taken on the night of a full moon .😂

I am taking bookings under the tree on the secret beach south of Prachuap on full moon

It is a very secret location but we might have to move if the fishing club turns up

1629376785522.jpg

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

According to a recent study published yesterday, the effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination against Covid-19 falls faster than that of the AstraZeneca vaccine. According to Oxford University researchers, “two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech had stronger initial effectiveness against new Covid-19 infections, but this diminishes faster than two doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca.”

Isn't that a bit like suggesting a billionaire who loses half his money is worse off than a millionaire who only loses a quarter?

Without a long term study it's meaningless - not that the scientists who developed the AZ vaccine, who are also the ones who did this study, might be biased of course .....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Isn't that a bit like suggesting a billionaire who loses half his money is worse off than a millionaire who only loses a quarter?

Without a long term study it's meaningless - not that the scientists who developed the AZ vaccine, who are also the ones who did this study, might be biased of course .....

Of course a nationality and political competition comes into play. 

Outside of all this nonsense, the studious researchers have had enough time now [COVID vaccine era] to carefully consider and find that all the vaccines are losing credibility and effectiveness towards the strong mutations that are here and those to come. 

On 8/21/2021 at 1:02 PM, Stonker said:

It might just be a tantrum, because the U.K. has this week dumped AZ in favour of Pfizer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

1966183216_Thaigernews.thumb.JPG.3706e6d2bb1f3f476ccb563fcf33d039.JPG

The study, which has not been peer reviewed, is based on the findings of a survey conducted by the Office for National Statistics in the United Kingdom, which used PCR tests on randomly selected houses from December 2020 to August 2021. The university's Nuffield Department of Medicine, said "the dynamics of immunity following second doses differed dramatically" between Pfizer and AstraZeneca.

When looking at a period of several months following full immunization, Pfizer had "higher initial effectiveness," but "reduced faster in protection against high viral burden and symptomatic infection," while rates remained low for both shots. The scientists said, "Results imply that the effectiveness of these two vaccines would be equivalent after four to five months," while noting that long-term effects must be investigated.

The findings of the study are being released as Israel prepares to provide booster shots after giving 58 percent of the population two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. Following concerns regarding the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines' reducing effectiveness, the US is planning to issue booster injections to increase antibody levels.

The Oxford study also discovered that people who had already been infected with the virus had better protection.

The study looked at two groups of 300,000 persons over the age of 18, the first during the time when the Alpha variant was dominant, which emerged in Kent, southeast England, and the second from May 2021 onwards, when the Delta variant has now been dominant. It confirmed that vaccines against Delta, which was first discovered in India, are less effective.

In the United Kingdom, the AstraZeneca vaccination is the most readily available, whereas people under the age of 40 are given Pfizer or Moderna due to blood clotting concerns.

Source: News.com.au

Long term protection is from T lymphocytes of course antibodies will decrease over time if T lymphs aren't stimulated to produce more. This article is a nothing file.

I had a dream last night and is was Jesus or Buddha (maybe Mohammed?) who spoke to me:

"Two doses of AZ (2 months apart) and then 3 months later two doses of Pfizer (1 month apart)."

I woke up and suddenly realised that someone was looking over me (again).  It was like that time when I was playing golf one day. I was at the first hole, which had a water hazard on one side of the fairway and out of bounds on the other - so as usual I reached into my bag and brought out an old ball.  Suddenly I heard a soft gentle voice:  “Bob ..... use the new ball”. I looked around thinking my mates were playing around, but they were all on the tee 20 yards away already. So of course, I took out the new ball and when it was my turn to hit I put it on a tee and was about to hit it when this same soft gentle voice said: "Bob ... wait ..... take a practice swing”.  I looked at my playing partners and they are all totally unaware of what is happening. So I stepped back and took a few practice swings and started to walk towards the ball. Suddenly the same voice, but this time loud and stern said: “Bob ...... stop! ....... use the old ball !!” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would you rather lose $5m dollars from your total $25m worth?

Or lose $1m from your total $1.5m worth?

Yes, losing $5m is more than losing $1m. 

But you're way better off in the end in the first example.

Same here.

No matter a faster decline. The end result is still better.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, Bob20 said:

Same here.

Sinovac?

The vaccines are not working as promised as recently as four or five months ago. Wasn't the claim being made then that vaccines were nearly completely effective at preventing Covid transmission?  Yes, they admitted to covid break throughs but said they were only slight in number. If this is the case, it's going to be vaccines for all, continually, for a year or two at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Metaluna said:

The vaccines are not working as promised as recently as four or five months ago. Wasn't the claim being made then that vaccines were nearly completely effective at preventing Covid transmission?  Yes, they admitted to covid break throughs but said they were only slight in number. If this is the case, it's going to be vaccines for all, continually, for a year or two at least.

The protection is very high with Pfizer indeed, but the effectiveness wanes. Just read my post above yours. Then you'll understand.

I haven't seen any promises about prevention of transmission.

And don't look too far into the future. They made this very quickly and there will surely be even better v2.0 v3.0 etc.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The protection is very high with Pfizer indeed, but the effectiveness wanes. Just read my post above yours. Then you'll understand.

And don't look too far into the future. They made this very quickly and there will surely be even better v2.0 v3.0 etc.

Hope the Chinese don't beat them to it with Covid 20, 21. 

Got to keep them mask factories busy.

Edited by Griff1315
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Hope the Chinese don't beat them to it with Covid 20, 21. 

Got to keep them mask factories busy.

Covid 22 special "Tiger" edition...

• Haha 2

Who even cares. AZ and Pfizer are both top shelf compared to the first gen Chinese stuff.

We'll still be taking our annual booster shot anyway for shareholders profits, I mean...our own protection with tweaks for new variants combined with the flu.

This is disappointing news. I had hoped my Pfizer jab tomorrow would give me wings of steel.

Also wanted to see what would happen when I simultaneously ate a can of spinach. 

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

This is disappointing news. I had hoped my Pfizer jab tomorrow would give me wings of steel.

Also wanted to see what would happen when I simultaneously ate a can of spinach. 

They use XL syringes though ...

Unknown.jpg

All the recent studies I've seen show that Pfizer declines more than AZ for overall protection, but far less and with a much flatter decline for hospitalizations and deaths

I can live with that.

(pun intended 😇)

Edit:

the most recent study I saw today, sorry but I can't recall where, showed that Pfizer was still considerably more effective after 6 months than AZ was at its peak, as was Moderna.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Bob20 said:

Same here.

Keep drinking the kool aid... I somehow think if you owned a Lada you would be arguing it is better than a horse:)

Edited by billywillyjones
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, KaptainRob said:

One dose of delta and 2 of ivermectin sounds like a good bet for a healthy young fella like me 😎

Being in Thailand are you sure only one dose you got? 😉

• Haha 1