Talk Forum - Phuket government warn businesses against price gouging

Thaiger

40 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Can recc. a ins policy?    Id def use my credit card if I need to to work out a cancelled hotel bill....this is just why Id be so paranoid in the sandbox Id just rather do the bkk asq in peace and paid inclusive(pcr-etc)

I got mine through HeyMondo.com. It's a medical heavy travel policy with US$100K coverage including COVID. Spanish company underwritten by AXA which is Thai-approved. They will give you a Thailand-specific certificate of coverage.  I had no problem getting my CoE with it last time. I bought a 1-year policy (it was cheaper than the per trip policy). When I bought it it was $150-160, I got a quote to extend it the other day and the new pricing is up around $200.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

PCR tests are 8K last I looked.

In theory. Get a policy that is both medical and trip loss/cancellation.

If you test positive in AQ you also go straight to the hospital. And then have to fight with the hotel for a refund. (Assuming you survive...) This happened to the guy across the hall when I was in ASQ. "Knock-knock. Get packed." Sent in the decontaminating crew from Aliens and then sealed the room (crime scene tape, too) for five days. The next person didn't have a clue.

PCR for THB8K is BS. I wouldn't pay more than THB5K

• Like 1

Well let's see now. This warning is obviously not meant to be for those that have an almost monopolistic grip on the retail sector, provides constant support for this puppet government and others. Just noises.

For example this thread is about price gouging so as an example perhaps the government could explain why they have allowed the main poultry producer(s) and retail outlet owner to increase the price of eggs from what was 92 baht per tray of 30 medium size eggs to yesterdays price of 135 baht within 3/4 weeks.  There has been no outbreak of bird flu requiring a culling of fowl , they claim no major shutdown of the poultry producers production plants in these last 3/4 weeks so there should be no shortages hence influencing the "supply and demand" cycle, unless that is it was a deliberate attempt to stifle production, create a fake shortage and hence pretend demand outstrips supply as the reason and justification for these  price increases, hence the wealthy owner can wallow further in a massive 33% increase in profits on egg sales.

Eggs are a staple diet especially for the poor so this price gouging is again hurting those people that this government and their wealthy supporters so despise. Will there ever be an end to it ?

On 8/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, HiuMak said:

PCR for THB8K is BS. I wouldn't pay more than THB5K

Has always been my suspicion that thais bought these in bulk(cheaper) and are adding a markup to  tourists coming to LOS. And to make us prepay for them, also the thought of coming up with a false positive..

Id want to carry my own rapid test with me to counter should I suddenly prove positive once I landed there.

Just too sketchy and ever changing rules on the sandbox I wouldn't even be able to enjoy myself.. as if push came to shove Id rather do BKK ASQ as Id be paid in full and in my own little safe space aka cozy prison..

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, JamesE said:

I wouldnt put it past some thais looking for a cash grab by just saying im positive and put me in a hospital.

Thais are bad enough with scams and double pricing, now add in a year of desperate folks during covid-$$$

• Like 2
  • Cool 1