Talk Forum - Phuket government warn businesses against price gouging

Thaiger

The Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong has reinforced the warning for vendors in Phuket to avoid price gouging or overcharging customers. He requested officials in Phuket to be vigilant in checking stores and vendors to make sure their pricing is reasonable and not artificially inflated. With the economic pummeling Thailand, and Phuket in particular, have taken with the loss of international tourism due to Covid-19, the vice governor is warning business owners to resist the urge to try to make up for losses by inflating their goods and services to unreasonable prices. He said that there was a “possibility” of things […]

The post Phuket government warn businesses against price gouging appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong has reinforced the warning for vendors in Phuket to avoid price gouging or overcharging customers.

Ever seen a stripey leopard .? 

Nope neither have I .. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

the vice governor is warning business owners to resist the urge to try to make up for losses by inflating their goods and services to unreasonable prices.

But that's the Thai way.  "I have to make 100K a month, whether it's 1K from 100 customers or 5K from 20 customers. I need 100K"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

But the national parks overcharge foreigners all the time 

Don't get me going 

Dual pricing is and always will be wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You're on about price gouging and theres Nok Air charging just short of THB:7,000 to fly out of the Sandbox and that's because luggage is over 7kg!?! If you come to the Sandbox then you have to carry luggage especially coming on an international flight. Then theres the quoted price of THB: 2,000+ for taxi from Utapao to Bangkok...totally scandalous! 

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

But the national parks overcharge foreigners all the time 

Tourists be like, wow 1500 THB to enter a waterfall, so cheap!

Then the guy who sells the tickets uses that as a standard for any caucasian, no matter if they were born here or not. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Said it many times.

Silly people over paying for  most things  by justifying it in their own minds with statements:

Well, it is Thailand.

I'd pay X for that back home.

Well, they have to make a living.

Etc,Etc,Etc.

Fools and there money, soon parted.

Problem is, these idiots spoil it for the rest of us for  example. 

If you fly 6000 miles from the UK and pay more for your beer (small bottle approximately a half pint ,60/80 baht in a bar that is just shy of £2 pounds a half). I would never pay that for a pint in the North East of England.

Put it another way, when a gallon of beer costs you more than a gallon of petrol, someone is extracting the urine.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrStretch said:

But that's the Thai way.  "I have to make 100K a month, whether it's 1K from 100 customers or 5K from 20 customers. I need 100K"

Exactly, standard operating procedure. 

• Like 1

Ok Put your money where your mouth is Gov!

Someone open a FB page about double pricing and when it happens click a pic and post it there

Then forward the FB link to the Gov and what to see what he does--actions speak louder than words!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

He said that there was a “possibility” of things being overpriced in Phuket.

😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also heard there is a possibility of prostitution going on in LOS...I could be wrong! .....maybe..

• Haha 4

I repeat my question: how much money actually made? Friend of mine who runs not very cheap Italian restaurant at the prime location in Phuket, just locked the doors and flew back to Italy, he said. it's better to be broke than fu#$ed by government. Balloons flew in the air and nothing left for working people to harvest, this was and still is a biggest scam

Problem is, other sandboxes pop up here and there and give people illusion they can finally make a buck

Edited by AlexPTY
  • Cool 1

12 hours ago, kmc said:

hmm...but there's no tourists to gouge...

Dont worry many of the "ladies" have gone online looking to "gouge"...aka sob story

I had one do the broken phone one and need to pay rent...since not many buffalo in CNX....

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, kmc said:

hmm...but there's no tourists to gouge...

Doesn't matter, Thai vendors are cannabalistic, they'll eat their own, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was told by ASQ x7500 for PCR test and 2500 a night change me 3900 baht  I stay  4 days and 1PCR test before being transferred to hospital. When I come out ask for refund and they offer me 7000 baht. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tj57 said:

I was told by ASQ x7500 for PCR test and 2500 a night change me 3900 baht  I stay  4 days and 1PCR test before being transferred to hospital. When I come out ask for refund and they offer me 7000 baht. 

Yes, looks like you 'was robbed' there. Sorry to read that - your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Tj57 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

16 hours ago, Tj57 said:

so the PCR tests cost 7500? Your hotel is 2500/night?  you tested positive on day 4 and had to go to hospital?

does your required covid insurance cover you for this??

As this has been my reason to not even go close to phuket and would rather do BKK ASQ  -peace of mind

15 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

so the PCR tests cost 7500? Your hotel is 2500/night?  you tested positive on day 4 and had to go to hospital?

does your required covid insurance cover you for this??

As this has been my reason to not even go close to phuket and would rather do BKK ASQ  -peace of mind

PCR tests are 8K last I looked.

In theory. Get a policy that is both medical and trip loss/cancellation.

If you test positive in AQ you also go straight to the hospital. And then have to fight with the hotel for a refund. (Assuming you survive...) This happened to the guy across the hall when I was in ASQ. "Knock-knock. Get packed." Sent in the decontaminating crew from Aliens and then sealed the room (crime scene tape, too) for five days. The next person didn't have a clue.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JamesE said:

PCR tests are 8K last I looked.

In theory. Get a policy that is both medical and trip loss/cancellation.

If you test positive in AQ you also go straight to the hospital. And then have to fight with the hotel for a refund. (Assuming you survive...) This happened to the guy across the hall when I was in ASQ. "Knock-knock. Get packed." Sent in the decontaminating crew from Aliens and then sealed the room (crime scene tape, too) for five days. The next person didn't have a clue.

Can recc. a ins policy?    Id def use my credit card if I need to to work out a cancelled hotel bill....this is just why Id be so paranoid in the sandbox Id just rather do the bkk asq in peace and paid inclusive(pcr-etc)