Talk Forum - Friday Covid Update: 19,851 new cases and 240 deaths

Thaiger

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported 19,851 new Covid-19 cases and 240 coronavirus-related deaths today. In the latest and most severe wave of the virus in Thailand, first recorded on April 1, there have been 980,847 confirmed Covid-19 infections. Over the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA has recorded 20,478 recoveries from Covid-19. There are now 205,079 people receiving treatment for the coronavirus. The number of active cases has been declining as the daily recoveries continue to exceed the number of new infections. Out of the new cases, 325 were found in correctional facilities. The latest wave of […]

The post Friday Covid Update: 19,851 new cases and 240 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported 19,851 new Covid-19 cases and 240 coronavirus-related deaths today. In the latest and most severe wave of the virus in Thailand, first recorded on April 1, there have been 980,847 confirmed Covid-19 infections. Over the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA has recorded 20,478 recoveries from Covid-19. There are now 205,079 people receiving treatment for the coronavirus. The number of active cases has been declining as the daily recoveries continue to exceed the number of new infections. Out of the new cases, 325 were found in correctional facilities. The latest wave of […]

The post Friday Covid Update: 19,851 new cases and 240 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is there a tabulation that details exactly where all the covid deaths have occured to date, and I don't mean "in hospital" rather in which provinces and Amphurs ?

Thailand have barely scratched the surface with the amount of testing nationwide. I wonder what the figures would look like if they were to carry out up to 1 million tests per day.

Please Thaiger, report the total number of tests in relation to the number of positive ones. There is no significance in reporting only the number of infections, other than showing the public a big number. And you can't conclude that infections are going up or down without knowing (at the very least) the total number of tested subjects.

If they find 20k positives out of 21k tests, that would be very different from finding 20k positives out of 500k tests.

If these figures are not given to you, then start asking and start reporting the fact that you can't get hold of the numbers from the authorities. Don't just regurgitate what you are handed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Please Thaiger, report the total number of tests in relation to the number of positive ones. There is no significance in reporting only the number of infections, other than showing the public a big number. And you can't conclude that infections are going up or down without knowing (at the very least) the total number of tested subjects.

If they find 20k positives out of 21k tests, that would be very different from finding 20k positives out of 500k tests.

If these figures are not given to you, then start asking and start reporting the fact that you can't get hold of the numbers from the authorities. Don't just regurgitate what you are handed.

Totally agree with the comment, up to date information in regards to testing is just not readily available. Proactive testing does not occur   I would assume the actual level of undetected infections is much higher than the numbers published.  I have never been tested in Thailand since leaving my ASQ yet there have been at least 4 cases reported in my condo building whcih is in Thonglor. For sure in Melbourne, the whole complex in a similar situation would have been tested immediately.

As PM Doris Day said  Whatever will be will be

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

I read in the Thai news that they only have the capacity to test 20k per day and when the number is higher than that it is numbers from a previous day being added on. Whether that is true or not I don’t know as it is hard to know what news agencies are actually reporting fact and which are just reporting what ‘they heard’

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, F5Brian said:

I read in the Thai news that they only have the capacity to test 20k per day and when the number is higher than that it is numbers from a previous day being added on. Whether that is true or not I don’t know as it is hard to know what news agencies are actually reporting fact and which are just reporting what ‘they heard’

Yes, it's difficult to decide where to put your trust re true or fake news. That's how things are with Thai officialdom where data presentation criteria seem to change by the day. Sorry I missed your debut post, last month, but thanks for your input to date.

Hello F5Brian and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Edited by King Cotton

23 minutes ago, F5Brian said:

Interesting, in that case nearly everyone is found positive 😔 as the figure has been around 20k each day for a while.

Not a good sign.

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, Bob20 said:

That’s a great post @Bob20 and not just in regards to your point to the presentation of the Covid data.

Your other point relating to not regurgitating with they are handed is also important. I recognise that reporting on government issues is a very tricky obstacle to navigate, but media can surely request and then report the fact of the information request being answered or not. 

• Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Julius said:

Is there some way of knowing the vaccination rate in each province?

Negative-sounding or not, I have to say 'you are joking, aren't you?'

Vaccines had not even reached some provinces, e.g. Loei, as of Wednesday.

8 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Could not agree more than what Bob20 has said. I have thought for months now that the number of new cases being found is being carefully managed by the amount of tests done.

Test more find more it's a fact.

"Study finds Pfizer COVID-19 shots’ effectiveness drops faster than AstraZeneca’s" ... There are interesting numbers for Sputnik too. This government switching from AZ to Phizer may hurt frontliners on the long run 

• Cool 1

Question about Vaccination:

What is the official policy of the Thai Gov't regarding the vaccinations.                                                               My understanding is that all citizens and foreigners are entitled to vaccinations free of charge. However in talking with some Thai friends they are convinced they need to pay anywhere from B500 per shot (registration fee) or something like that in order to qualify. Does anyone have knowledge  if this is just private hospitals charging or is it a Gov't policy.                                                                                                      This is not the same as the fee for obtaining vaccination from private hospitals at B1-2-3000 per shot.

My Thai friends are convinced they need to pay in order to receive the Vax shot/shots. I did see the vaccinations being given at Bang Sue station and told them about that program but they are unconvinced.

Any current information and links so that they can register or find out the real/true information is much appreciated  

many thanks                                                                                                                                                                             mac

• Like 1

5 hours ago, macster said:

Question about Vaccination:

What is the official policy of the Thai Gov't regarding the vaccinations.                                                               My understanding is that all citizens and foreigners are entitled to vaccinations free of charge. However in talking with some Thai friends they are convinced they need to pay anywhere from B500 per shot (registration fee) or something like that in order to qualify. Does anyone have knowledge  if this is just private hospitals charging or is it a Gov't policy.                                                                                                      This is not the same as the fee for obtaining vaccination from private hospitals at B1-2-3000 per shot.

My Thai friends are convinced they need to pay in order to receive the Vax shot/shots. I did see the vaccinations being given at Bang Sue station and told them about that program but they are unconvinced.

Any current information and links so that they can register or find out the real/true information is much appreciated  

many thanks                                                                                                                                                                             mac

Understandable uncertainty and questions here and all to do with 'what is the official policy of the Thai Gov't regarding the vaccinations?' There has never been a stated policy, simply because they play the course differently on any given day, according to 'circumstances beyond their control' that they may be able to blame for their lethargic approach.

A pretty damning situation and sad that your debut post has to deal with this . . . but thanks for that, anyway!

Hello, macster and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton