Pranburi yellow book trouble

ThailandBob

I'm having an operation in a week. Not super invasive but with a heart attack history, certain red flags are raised whenever I get ready to go under the knife.  Enough for me to consider what happens to my earthly possessions (car, cash, computers, etc.) here and in my home country. Here, I own a car and have some bank accounts. I want my wife to have unencumbered possession of these things if something goes wrong on the OR table.

So about a month ago, we looked into what it would take to give my wife Power of Attorney, knowing that she's going to be in the US when the operation happens. At that time, she was still here in Pranburi. We went to our amphoe and inquired. They told us that the first step would be for me to get a yellow book. The required documents they needed was my translated passport, stamped by the US consulate and the Thai ministry of foreign affairs. Had that already. Also needed our marriage certificate. Had the original(s) for that. Also, blue book for my wife's house. Got that. So we made an appointment to meet with the guy at the amphoe who looked at the documents and made an appointment for August 19. We told him she'd be in the US. had my wife sign a photocopy of her Thai ID and said for me to bring someone that speaks English -- that it would be no problem. 

So a month goes by. Now it's today. I take a lady that works at various houses in my neighborhood over to the amphoe as my "interpreter." Same guy. Doesn't remember anything about my previous visit. Never even looks at me. Thinks I'm there to get married to this lady. Everyone telling me to shut up. I happened to have my original marriage certificate. I'm now worried that somehow, he's gonna think I'm trying to marry this other woman. He never looked at the certificate, but says no, I need to make a yellow book appointment for September. Now, I'm pretty sure he understands that this is for a yellow book for my wife's home and not to marry this lady.  They gave me some papers to sign. She had to sign one in lieu of my wife. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

Here, I own a car and have some bank accounts. I want my wife to have unencumbered possession of these things if something goes wrong on the OR table.

Under Thai Inheritance law your Thai wife automatically becomes your legal heir.
The procedures are less restricted and cumbersome though if you have a Thai Will in place stating your intention to leave your estate/possessions to your wife.

Yellow book has nothing to do with your estate.

53 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

Now it's today. I take a lady that works at various houses in my neighborhood over to the amphoe as my "interpreter." Same guy. Doesn't remember anything about my previous visit. Never even looks at me. Thinks I'm there to get married to this lady. Everyone telling me to shut up. I happened to have my original marriage certificate. I'm now worried that somehow, he's gonna think I'm trying to marry this other woman. He never looked at the certificate, but says no, I need to make a yellow book appointment for September. Now, I'm pretty sure he understands that this is for a yellow book for my wife's home and not to marry this lady. 

Apart from pre signing a copy of her ID card, did your wife pre sign the consent form with no objection to you using the address as listed in her Blue book?
Ideally your wife should have been present, or an appointment made for when she was available.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Apart from pre signing a copy of her ID card, did your wife pre sign the consent form with no objection to you using the address as listed in her Blue book?

She signed a photocopy of her Thai ID during the original meeting with the amphoe guy. He told her she needed to do that so that when I come back (on August 19) for my yellow book meeting, he had a signed ID card to go by. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

She signed a photocopy of her Thai ID during the original meeting with the amphoe guy. He told her she needed to do that so that when I come back (on August 19) for my yellow book meeting, he had a signed ID card to go by. 

She also needs to sign a form consenting to you using the address as registered in her Tabien Baan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faz said:

She also needs to sign a form consenting to you using the address as registered in her Tabien Baan.

Great. They'll wait to tell me that on September 14, I'm guessing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandBob said:

The required documents they needed was my translated passport, stamped by the US consulate and the Thai ministry of foreign affairs.

Usually once you have an Embassy certified copy of your Passport, translated, then legalised by the MFA, signed consent form, they should immediately proceed to issue the Yellow house book and pink ID card.

When they don't and make excuses it usually means they don't know how to proceed.

In contrast, no appointment, took 40 minutes while I waited to issue a Yellow book and ID card when I applied, although that was at the larger Provincial Amphoe office.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 10:08 AM, Faz said:

Usually once you have an Embassy certified copy of your Passport, translated, then legalised by the MFA, signed consent form, they should immediately proceed to issue the Yellow house book and pink ID card.

When they don't and make excuses it usually means they don't know how to proceed.

In contrast, no appointment, took 40 minutes while I waited to issue a Yellow book and ID card when I applied, although that was at the larger Provincial Amphoe office.

Please, what is the procedure to get this Passport translation done....a trip to Bkk, or can it be done locally in Phitsanulok or online .

My Amphoe insists that my GF & I must be married to get Yellow book/Pink ID. I know he is wrong but it's difficult to tell him.

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

My Amphoe insists that my GF & I must be married to get Yellow book/Pink ID. I know he is wrong but it's difficult to tell him.

Mmmm! One of those awkward Amphoes.
Usually when an Amphoe start making up non existent requirements, it means he's unsure how to proceed with registering foreigners, (or looking for a brown envelope), but usually the first.
There is absolutely nothing in the Civil Registration Act (which is applicable to Thais in the same manner) that states you must be married, own property, or any other such nonsense.

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons. The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Question; Does your girlfriend own the property and registered in the Blue book as the 'House Holder'?
If not, you need the permission of the person named in the Blue Book as such and they must attend the Amphoe to consent to you being registered at their address - first point to be answered.

47 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Please, what is the procedure to get this Passport translation done....a trip to Bkk, or can it be done locally in Phitsanulok or online .

Almost all Amphoes now require;
a) An Embassy certified copy of your Passport photo/ID page.
b) Your Passport photo/ID page translated into Thai.
Both documents should then be 'legalised' by the Consular section' of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Unless you live in Chiang Mai and have a Consulate there, then this procedure must be completed in Bangkok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Mmmm! One of those awkward Amphoes.
Usually when an Amphoe start making up non existent requirements, it means he's unsure how to proceed with registering foreigners, (or looking for a brown envelope), but usually the first.
There is absolutely nothing in the Civil Registration Act (which is applicable to Thais in the same manner) that states you must be married, own property, or any other such nonsense.

Question; Does your girlfriend own the property and registered in the Blue book as the 'House Holder'?
If not, you need the permission of the person named in the Blue Book as such and they must attend the Amphoe to consent to you being registered at their address - first point to be answered.

Almost all Amphoes now require;
a) An Embassy certified copy of your Passport photo/ID page.
b) Your Passport photo/ID page translated into Thai.
Both documents should then be 'legalised' by the Consular section' of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Unless you live in Chiang Mai and have a Consulate there, then this procedure must be completed in Bangkok.

Yes, she does 'own' the property and has the Blue Book, and I am registered TM30 at the house.

What a load of shoemakers having to go to Bkk, They let me into the country with simply my UK Passport, let me extend my permission to stay and get a Free Pfizer jab with same, but to get a Yellow Book they need it translating. I'll not bother.

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Yes, she does 'own' the property and has the Blue Book, and I am registered TM30 at the house.

What a load of shoemakers having to go to Bkk, They let me into the country with simply my UK Passport, let me extend my permission to stay and get a Free Pfizer jab with same, but to get a Yellow Book they need it translating. I'll not bother.

@Faz > Is it necessary for the Yellow Book to apply at the Amphoe of the area where the property is located?  If not, it would be a simple matter of enquiring at different amphoes to find a more reasonable one.  That's what people are doing that need the KorRor-2 marriage certificate statement for their 1-year extension for reason of marriage, when confronted with an unwilling amphoe. 

38 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Is it necessary for the Yellow Book to apply at the Amphoe of the area where the property is located? 

Yes, you have to register at the sub district relevant to the property address.
Once the registration is on the national database, you can obtain copies at any Amphoe.

In @WilliamG situation where the Admin are uncooperative, you can take your complaint to the Provincial office, but although they may agree with you, they are not in a position to overrule the Administration at the local Amphoe. You'd have to escalate your complaint to the Provincial ombudsman who has the authority to overrule the local Administration - a real PITA.

I had a friend with exactly the same issue at his local Amphoe. We went to the Provincial office to complain, who agreed, but were not empowered to overrule the local Amphoe. They suggested my friend registered on my Yellow book (only my permission required), then after a few weeks apply to register a change of address to his actual existing address.
We had to return to the Provincial office where they took him off my book and gave him a form (change of address) to take to his local Amphoe. Because he had already then been registered in a Yellow book, his local Amphoe issued him a new Yellow book for his address without any issues.
It's a difference in procedures between first registering, or being registered and merely changing address.

Once you register your marriage, that to gets entered into the national database so any Amphoe can issue a Kor Ror 2. You can also register your marriage at any Amphoe as that registration is about marital status, not where your registered as living.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:59 AM, Faz said:

I believe the guy at your local Amphoe is making excuses and hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

That's got my money.  Took my wife three visits, and me, two more in order to get  mine.  The lady was very polite, but seemed like it was a new venture for her.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Thai will...very little property but I was worried about that 400,000 baht account which immigration requires to be only in my name... we also have a working account which is in both of our names.

• Like 2

Update. I took all of my documentation plus 5 copies of everything, my wife's cousin and another local woman with me to the amphoe, expecting to be interviewed as I'd read elsewhere here that they ask a few questions. None of that happened.

Walked in, and when my appointment time came, the same guy that I saw last time called us to his desk. The yellow book was on a stack of papers. A woman working behind the counter took it and stamped the first and second pages. They handed it to me and told me to check it over for errors. Great. I used Google Lens to translate it and found an error in my middle name. They used a "G" instead of a "K" which creates a weird version of it. Turns out that the translated passport had the same error, and they had simply copied from that. I decided, screw it and gave a wei and we left with the yellow book. Next appointment is Oct. 6 for the pink Thai ID.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

Next appointment is Oct. 6 for the pink Thai ID.

First time I've heard of anyone having a second appointment for the pink ID card - probably on order.
They maybe had to order the Yellow book which is why you were messed around first time.

I have heard of rural Amphoes not having Yellow books and pink ID cards in stock before.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 7:35 AM, ThailandBob said:

I'm having an operation in a week. Not super invasive but with a heart attack history, certain red flags are raised whenever I get ready to go under the knife.  Enough for me to consider what happens to my earthly possessions (car, cash, computers, etc.) here and in my home country. Here, I own a car and have some bank accounts. I want my wife to have unencumbered possession of these things if something goes wrong on the OR table.

So about a month ago, we looked into what it would take to give my wife Power of Attorney, knowing that she's going to be in the US when the operation happens. At that time, she was still here in Pranburi. We went to our amphoe and inquired. They told us that the first step would be for me to get a yellow book. The required documents they needed was my translated passport, stamped by the US consulate and the Thai ministry of foreign affairs. Had that already. Also needed our marriage certificate. Had the original(s) for that. Also, blue book for my wife's house. Got that. So we made an appointment to meet with the guy at the amphoe who looked at the documents and made an appointment for August 19. We told him she'd be in the US. had my wife sign a photocopy of her Thai ID and said for me to bring someone that speaks English -- that it would be no problem. 

So a month goes by. Now it's today. I take a lady that works at various houses in my neighborhood over to the amphoe as my "interpreter." Same guy. Doesn't remember anything about my previous visit. Never even looks at me. Thinks I'm there to get married to this lady. Everyone telling me to shut up. I happened to have my original marriage certificate. I'm now worried that somehow, he's gonna think I'm trying to marry this other woman. He never looked at the certificate, but says no, I need to make a yellow book appointment for September. Now, I'm pretty sure he understands that this is for a yellow book for my wife's home and not to marry this lady.  They gave me some papers to sign. She had to sign one in lieu of my wife. Fingers crossed.

Or maybe you just got a mia noi  :-) 

On 8/19/2021 at 7:59 PM, Faz said:

I believe the guy at your local Amphoe is making excuses and hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Is there flexibility on local amphoe offices or is one per area ? Can you come back and get another official? 

3 hours ago, Vince said:

Is there flexibility on local amphoe offices or is one per area ? Can you come back and get another official? 

Speaking only about the Pranburi office, that particular official seems to be the HMIC.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1