7 year old living alone after whole family contracts Covid, officials ask neighbours to help out

Thaiger

A 7 year old is living by himself after his 8 family members who also lived with him tested positive for Covid. Since the boy, identified as Bass, is the only family member not to test positive for Covid, he got to stay behind in his home in Nonthaburi, the province just outside of Bangkok. A local rescue team, RX PSU, and other officials have visited Bass’s house. They confirmed that there are usually 9 people living in the house and that Bass is the only one to test negative for Covid. He was even given another Covid test recently […]

The post 7 year old living alone after whole family contracts Covid, officials ask neighbours to help out appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Ludicrous is what this is.  Social services in this country suck.  How is he supposed to feed himself, can he cook, whose buying his food for him....just insanity

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ludicrous is what this is.  Social services in this country suck.  How is he supposed to feed himself, can he cook, whose buying his food for him....just insanity

Too true, sadly, especially since there's beggar-all that we can do about it . . . apart from hope.

And your debut post, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, ThailandRyan and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

I suspect that unlike youngsters in the west, a 7 year old thai kid can already cook, and not burn the house down in the process.

The neighbours, and local neighbourhood are probably making him food, popping in to check on him etc, and he's enjoying himself with some space and time to himself for once.

Hence, the -  "leave me alone, I'm fine" statement , from the kid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, shanghailoz said:

I suspect that unlike youngsters in the west, a 7 year old thai kid can already cook, and not burn the house down in the process.

The neighbours, and local neighbourhood are probably making him food, popping in to check on him etc, and he's enjoying himself with some space and time to himself for once.

Hence, the -  "leave me alone, I'm fine" statement , from the kid.

Well said, @shanghailoz.

Comparing "social services" here with the west isn't comparing apples and oranges but comparing a house brick with a tractor tire.

Try telling someone in the west that if they go into a state hospital they'll have to have a friend or one of the family to stay with them all day, sleeping on the floor or in the corridor, and they'll think it's insane. Try telling a Thai that they can only see a loved one in hospital during visiting hours and they'll think it's inhuman.

The same goes for old people's homes and so many other aspects of "social services". 

You can't say one's "better" or "worse" - just different.