Indonesia converting motorbikes to electric, aims for all e-vehicles

Thaiger

A new program is launching today in Indonesia to convert normal petrol-fueled motorbikes into electric vehicles to try to make Indonesian transportation more eco-friendly. Indonesia’s Energy Ministry announced the plan to make a more environmentally friendly mode of transportation and they have already converted 10 motorbikes. The plan intends to convert 90 more motorbikes by November for a total of 100 electric motorbikes in the pilot programme. The conversions hope to contribute to the ministry’s plan to have by 2030 at least 2.2 million electric cars and 13 million electric motorbikes on Indonesia’s roads. The long-term goal is to eventually […]

The post Indonesia converting motorbikes to electric, aims for all e-vehicles appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

We can only hope here in Thailand.  The daily noise and smell from Internal combustion engines everywhere is really detracting to everyone out walking  IMO.  It is crazy to me that 90% of the expats I meet seem to have a need to drive, even though they drink and are old enough to where their sight and reflexes are diminishing.  

Thailand has so much beauty, but wherever you go to sit and watch a sunset or have a nice meal (previous to Covid) you will always hear the loud exhaust noises of a motorbike or 20 while you are relaxing and enjoying yourself or your meal, etc...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

We can only hope here in Thailand.  The daily noise and smell from Internal combustion engines everywhere is really detracting to everyone out walking  IMO.  It is crazy to me that 90% of the expats I meet seem to have a need to drive, even though they drink and are old enough to where their sight and reflexes are diminishing.  

Thailand has so much beauty, but wherever you go to sit and watch a sunset or have a nice meal (previous to Covid) you will always hear the loud exhaust noises of a motorbike or 20 while you are relaxing and enjoying yourself or your meal, etc...

At least they don't constantly honk their horns in Thailand.  Maybe they are to polite.  Everyone in Vietnam  honks their horns for no apparent reason.  

• Cool 1

21 minutes ago, Andy7e7 said:

I can't wait when everyone sitting around waiting for a full charge.

Yes, the EV battery charging scenario won't thrill many, but who knows? . . . there may be miracles, here! And sorry I missed your debut post, the other day . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Andy7e7 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

I am trying to visualise how this can be practicle,, to convert an existing motorcyce to electric power would seem non cost effective.  I like most can see a benefit in having transportation in a non pollutant format but the battery issues are far from resolved,, further there are garages at evey  village who service and repair the existing vehicle fleet as the mechanics involved are basic and labour intensive.. All Electric will be beyond their scope and as such deprive them or work.. It not been thought through... A slow and easy introduction is required.. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

At least they don't constantly honk their horns in Thailand.  Maybe they are to polite.  Everyone in Vietnam  honks their horns for no apparent reason.  

I was anchored off Kupang for 4 days, awaiting customs clearance, and the cacophony of horns started at dawn and died off around sunset, unbelievable noise!  Only thing worse in Indo is the burning of rubbish incl plastics, old tyres .... 

Biggest problem with electric bikes is silence so unless they devise a quiet 'engine' warning noise they can be lethal for pedestrians.  Either that or there will be an even greater use of horns.

46 minutes ago, Jannot said:

I am trying to visualise how this can be practicle,, to convert an existing motorcyce to electric power would seem non cost effective.  I like most can see a benefit in having transportation in a non pollutant format but the battery issues are far from resolved,, further there are garages at evey  village who service and repair the existing vehicle fleet as the mechanics involved are basic and labour intensive.. All Electric will be beyond their scope and as such deprive them or work.. It not been thought through... A slow and easy introduction is required.. 

Batteries still have a long way to evolve as do charging facilities. 

Loss of roadside stands with petrol sold in old bottles will be a blow to budding revolutionaries.

roadside-petrol.jpg?w=1250&ssl=1

7 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I was anchored off Kupang for 4 days, awaiting customs clearance, and the cacophony of horns started at dawn and died off around sunset, unbelievable noise!  Only thing worse in Indo is the burning of rubbish incl plastics, old tyres .... 

Biggest problem with electric bikes is silence so unless they devise a quiet 'engine' warning noise they can be lethal for pedestrians.  Either that or there will be an even greater use of horns.

Well they may be silent but electric vehicles have no impact on pedestrians vision do they ? When we were taught road safety, ok it was road safety as vehicles didn't drive on the pavements like they do here, it was always look out for traffic, lok left look right look left again,  etc etc  We were never taught to listen left, listed right etc etc so hence the main area of accident avoidance was, is, and always should be look out , should it not ?

1 minute ago, gummy said:

Well they may be silent but electric vehicles have no impact on pedestrians vision do they ? When we were taught road safety, ok it was road safety as vehicles didn't drive on the pavements like they do here, it was always look out for traffic, lok left look right look left again,  etc etc  We were never taught to listen left, listed right etc etc so hence the main area of accident avoidance was, is, and always should be look out , should it not ?

Correct, no problem for other motorists.  It's already a serious 'annoyance' in many countries and tourists to China have had serious accidents as pedestrians.  They tend to either not look at all (except at their phone) or look the wrong way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jannot said:

Pity the farriers and stable hands who lost their livelihoods from the infernal combustion engine. That transition too all of about 15 years. This one should be about the same. This image is 1900 to 1913, the car in the left is circled as is the horse team on the right.

main-qimg-3259b1745e0fa258dbad9324f2e1b49f.png

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Correct, no problem for other motorists.  It's already a serious 'annoyance' in many countries and tourists to China have had serious accidents as pedestrians.  They tend to either not look at all (except at their phone) or look the wrong way.

Ah Kaptain, you have raised another frustrating issue. People walking along looking at their phones bumping into other people or worse into young children. The scourge of the modern world. The sooner android or apple develop and put a hazard detection and alert warning system into their phones the better

34 minutes ago, gummy said:

No.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, hondo said:

i used an electric scooter when living in china.  i was impressed at how reliable and low maintenance they are.  

Likewise, really fun and as you say reliable, low maintenance. And cheap, there.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, hondo said:

i used an electric scooter when living in china.  i was impressed at how reliable and low maintenance they are.  

Encouraging comments but I guess we'll need to wait another 10-yrs or more before we see them here. Sorry I missed your debut post, last month and many thanks for your steady input since then.

Hello, hondo and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton