Jump to content

Opening a Crypto Account in Thailand


MrStretch
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been debating opening a crypto account as it seems like a reasonable investment these days.

Has anyone opened one in Thailand?  I remember reading earlier that the Thai government was putting restrictions on crypto accounts, and I'm not really sure how to proceed and stay within the law, if there is one.

I'd be linking a Thai account to my crypto one, and am looking at crypto.com as my liaison program.

Your suggestions, experience and advice would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only dabbled a bit as I don't think it's a reasonable investment. I've found Bitkub to be reliable.

It doesn't have that many coins or tokens, only established coins. So if you're looking to get into start up coins/tokens, then this isn't the place for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can try bitkub, bitazza, satang-pro, zipmex. My (thai) wife has a couple accounts. You can also open accounts on overseas sites like binance. She claims that now it is legal to do so.

I myself have a couple of wallets and play a bit with it (also to learn). 

In the past the government halted the opening of new accounts until (i think it was bitkub) had proven that the site was safe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

you can try bitkub, bitazza, satang-pro, zipmex. My (thai) wife has a couple accounts. You can also open accounts on overseas sites like binance. She claims that now it is legal to do so.

I myself have a couple of wallets and play a bit with it (also to learn). 

In the past the government halted the opening of new accounts until (i think it was bitkub) had proven that the site was safe. 

The Thai government is suing Binance so I'd try to avoid that one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://coins.co.th/

Can you link a crypto account to a thai account - given there is a crypto banking ban in Thailand ?

Personally I think over time it will be regulated out of existence - but good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Faz said:

Half of this useless article is about identity confirmation at gold shops.

Crypto exchanges have required ID's from foreigners in the form of passports and a clear picture of you holding that passport for several years now. If you are a Thai you use your Thai national ID.

The biggest local one for years that didn't have the government's claws on it was BX.IN.TH

They were in operation from 2013 to 2019. They had a good reputation and I made a pretty penny off of XRP with them but lost a few thousand U.S. dollars from a very small Dogecoin investment when it was selling for hundreds on the penny. My remaining 15 dollar Doge coin stash was too small to cash out when the exchange made the decision not to come under SEC regulation and eventually closed. That 15 dollar investment was worth a few thousand dollars earlier this year.

I am not an investment expert by any means but I do listen to guys like Peter Schiff and Max Keiser.

Crypto is too volatile. Too flakey.Like the stock market, it's a rich man's(billionaire's) game now. You are too late.

Invest in the tried and true, gold and maybe silver.Stocks? Maybe Moderna.😒

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I've been debating opening a crypto account as it seems like a reasonable investment these days.

Has anyone opened one in Thailand?  I remember reading earlier that the Thai government was putting restrictions on crypto accounts, and I'm not really sure how to proceed and stay within the law, if there is one.

I'd be linking a Thai account to my crypto one, and am looking at crypto.com as my liaison program.

Your suggestions, experience and advice would be appreciated.

Hardly reasonable, fellow Americano.

Land, gold, silver.

Maybe guns and tuna tins when poop hits the fan.

Edited by JTCarius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

https://coins.co.th/

Can you link a crypto account to a thai account - given there is a crypto banking ban in Thailand ?

Personally I think over time it will be regulated out of existence - but good luck.

noob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO crypto is the future. governments can regulate all they want. as long as there is a possibility to open up an account in another country, you are set. Even if that includes KYC (know your customer, ID required). You buy crypto there, and transfer it to your non-custodial wallet, on your phone or maybe a hard-wallet (piece of hardware, looks like a usb-mem-stick). Your local government will know nothing about it if you use a privacy based crypto like monero or arrr. 

Follow the news on crypto at crypto knowledgeable sites, not msm and you hear a different story than banks who are afraid they are already too late stepping in. They are interesting and very helpful groups on mewe/telegram-channels and more.

money borrowing/transfer->planet-wide/smart-contracts... this blockchain tech is till now unhackable (exchange-sites ARE hackable!).

note: again, this is all in my opinion only :-). then again, 2 trillion in this market tells something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had a spare million Baht, I'd be riding the bitcoin waves. Wait 'till it crashes, buy a coin at 1 million and sell when it's 1.5 or higher. Rinse and repeat.

Alas, I don't have a spare million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

IMO crypto is the future. governments can regulate all they want. as long as there is a possibility to open up an account in another country, you are set. Even if that includes KYC (know your customer, ID required). You buy crypto there, and transfer it to your non-custodial wallet, on your phone or maybe a hard-wallet (piece of hardware, looks like a usb-mem-stick). Your local government will know nothing about it if you use a privacy based crypto like monero or arrr. 

Follow the news on crypto at crypto knowledgeable sites, not msm and you hear a different story than banks who are afraid they are already too late stepping in. They are interesting and very helpful groups on mewe/telegram-channels and more.

money borrowing/transfer->planet-wide/smart-contracts... this blockchain tech is till now unhackable (exchange-sites ARE hackable!).

note: again, this is all in my opinion only :-). then again, 2 trillion in this market tells something else.

Crypto appears to be useful for remittance payments. I remember seeing "Powered by Ripple" on an SCB ATM in Chiang mai last year.

I personally would never invest a significant amount in any cryptocurrency.

First you have these exchanges that still get hacked all the time.

Sure security has gotten better, but it is far from perfect. Places like Coinbase appear to insure your personal account . But not all exchanges do and you need to read the fine print even if they are regulated.

 Hackers are continually devising more sophisticated methods of penetrating the defenses of these exchanges. They are extremely enticing vector points for these people. It can be highly rewarding so hackers will put a lot of time and effort to plot an attack. 

You decide to keep your crypto assets off the exchange and on your phone, computer or some rinky dink battery powered  encrypted, glorified USB device like Ledger that is assembled in France (French electronics are great aren't they?🙄) and made with Chinese chips.

Better hope you don't misplace your phone or your computer doesn't take a crap or get hacked.

All kinds of Phishing and social engineering attacks can still get your money.

So the safest way is to keep your private keys on a paper wallet right?

 Don't lose those like you lost your car keys last week. Because then it's kiss the farm good bye, baby.

OK, so you are a big dog. You decide to get that second mortgage on your house and go big with Bitcoin. You decide to trust Coinbase.They promise to fully insure your account.

But then.....China decides to PERMANENTLY shut down ALL of it's bitcoin mining bases ( a third of the crypto networks global processing power) to save electricity and promote it's own version of a digital RMB.

Then the whole cyrpto world ends up in a chaotic roller-coaster ride.

Call me old fashion, but I am a lot more cautious with my money.

BTW Monero sucks. Maybe it's great if you are some scumbag who wants to buy kiddie porn or do other illegal shit. Personally I WANT my transactions to be traceable. The tech is getting long in the tooth and if you thought you could be mr. sneaky and not pay taxes, the IRS now says it uses two companies that can track Monero transactions.

 

f09e11b32baee692b254b6601c39fb3ae45d9e0876247e55e9c75e6bbeb4c135.jpg.335c181da40e4a3e57367f8d09c9ff5d.jpg

 

 

Edited by JTCarius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

money borrowing/transfer->planet-wide/smart-contracts... this blockchain tech is till now unhackable (exchange-sites ARE hackable!).

 

 

Someone Stole $600 Million in a Cross-Chain Hack

Aug. 10, 2021

Over $600 million is confirmed to have been taken, but the full extent of the damage is still unknown.

 

 

https://cryptobriefing.com/someone-just-stole-611-million-in-a-cross-chain-hack/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

JTCarius, this statement

"Better hope you don't misplace your phone or your computer doesn't take a crap or get hacked"

is IMO fear mongering. For every wallet you set up, there is a phrase, which you have to write down. in case of phone, wallet, pc crash etc, you can buy a new phone etc, downl the wallet again, and with the phrase, you kept safe, recover your crypto. Everyone in crypto knows this, so I am surprised you used this.

Ofcourse, you could loose the paper you wrote down your phrase, or you bankpass, or your bank could go bankrupt or....

and

"But then.....China decides to PERMANENTLY shut down ALL of it's bitcoin mining bases ( a third of the crypto networks global processing power) to save electricity and promote it's own version of a digital RMB."

Many of the bitcoin mining rigs, which were shutdown in china, pop up in the USA... 

I respect your opinion that you keep your money in "safer" places. That's up to you.

and

"BTW Monero sucks. Maybe it's great if you are some scumbag who wants to buy kiddie porn or do other illegal shit."

This should be starting with IN MY OPINION, in my opinion. Unless you are a judge and have proof for all monero users.

going later to analyse the article about the hack you posted.... 

Edited by thaifarmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JTCarius said:

Someone Stole $600 Million in a Cross-Chain Hack

Aug. 10, 2021

Over $600 million is confirmed to have been taken, but the full extent of the damage is still unknown.

https://cryptobriefing.com/someone-just-stole-611-million-in-a-cross-chain-hack/

As expected, NOT blockchain was hacked. A network hosting was. Although it shows that crypto is not yet out of the woods to be 100% safe working together with smart contract, crypto which you transferred to your own (non custodial) wallet is safe, out of reach of any bank/authority.

Again, get info from crypto knowledgeable sites, not main stream media. Do your own research for your own future freedom in finance instead of letting it being dictated by banks and/or authority (who are controlling most of main stream media outlets). Now you still have a choice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

As expected, NOT blockchain was hacked. A network hosting was. Although it shows that crypto is not yet out of the woods to be 100% safe working together with smart contract, crypto which you transferred to your own (non custodial) wallet is safe, out of reach of any bank/authority.

Again, get info from crypto knowledgeable sites, not main stream media. Do your own research for your own future freedom in finance instead of letting it being dictated by banks and/or authority (who are controlling most of main stream media outlets). Now you still have a choice. 

As expected, you did not spend one minute trying to understand the link I posted in response to your naive statement:

 

On 8/19/2021 at 7:23 AM, thaifarmer said:

money borrowing/transfer->planet-wide/smart-contracts... this blockchain tech is till now unhackable (exchange-sites ARE hackable!).

 

The linked article explains this largest ever hack on Aug 10 was an attack on the ETH/ERC20 SMART CONTRACT feature.

The hacker exploited a flaw in the Defi application, Polychain Network that is a function built on ETH/ERC20 SMART CONTRACTS.

I can only assume your investing and cybersecurity practices are as equally sloppy as your reading comprehension.

This is why I listen to cryptocurrency investing masterminds like Peter Schiff or Max Keiser who have made tens of millions of dollars in crypto and have consulted others to do the same instead of some pimply face incel teenager living in his mommies basement chatting on Telegram.

 

8 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

is IMO fear mongering. For every wallet you set up, there is a phrase, which you have to write down. in case of phone, wallet, pc crash etc, you can buy a new phone etc, downl the wallet again, and with the phrase, you kept safe, recover your crypto. Everyone in crypto knows this, so I am surprised you used this.

Ofcourse, you could loose the paper you wrote down your phrase, or you bankpass, or your bank could go bankrupt or....

  The use of a backup passphrase and it's inherent dangers was implied in my mention of the dangers of  relying on a paper wallet containing your private keys.

The comparison between losing a backup passphrase on a piece of paper or stored on a usb stick to losing your "bankpass" connected to an insured bank account is asinine.

Suggesting to a group of largely middle-aged or senior citizen men, who are new to cryptocurrency (who maybe like myself are noticing their memory ability occasionally starting to falter) that they should rely on a passphrase or private key they keep themselves to secure their nest egg is irresponsible and stupid.

If you are new and want to play around with crypto keep your assets on an exchange that is regulated and insures not only the exchange but your personal account as well. When you withdraw or cash out it goes straight to your bank account in normal currency.

 

 

9 hours ago, thaifarmer said:

Many of the bitcoin mining rigs, which were shutdown in china, pop up in the USA... 

 

 

 A main reason a third of the global hash-rate processing power still comes from  Bitcoin mining "farms" in China and only 17% in the U.S  is because the massive amount of electricity required. Electricity is 11 times the cost on average for businesses in the U.S.

All the talk about the 500,000 miners from China looking for new homes in the U.S. and using renewable energy is just wishful thinking at this point.Texas is HOT. Not exactly an ideal place to relocate.

Many of the newer crypto currencies don't need to be mined, will never require such a gross waste of electrical power and will not be giant source of pollution.

The newer crypto coins have better features and transactions are quicker and more more efficient (like XRP).

It's 13 years later and who uses bitcoin to buy anything? Does it have an industrial use?

Bitcoin will die.

I'll stick with my guns and gold thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a screenshot of your post.... "Bitcoin will die". 😀. Time will tell. I wish you luck with your investments.

Also noticed that we have different ideas and probably sources about what is going on in the crypto world. I leave it at that. Have given all the advice to other readers. Educate yourself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

IMO, cryoto is the future and it won't be for everyone until it's much easier to adpat to.

The whole world is moving digital, and that's the reason Central Banks are creating their own Digital Currenceis (CDBCs), as ultimately all Cryptos will be interoperable with each other on blockchain technology.

If you're not clever enough to learn the intracies of it all, and rely on outside sources to decide for you, then it's probably not for you.

On the other hand, if you want to make wealth changing money, and understand that regulation will come to make it more secure, then start to learn from the insiders and not the main news outlets (as they are paid by Wall St banks etc to promote their fiat scam money printing business).

Older folk will obviously stick with the tried and trusted banks (yeah those safe havens who can't insure all your funds deposited with them) and have bail-in laws to protect them when they're greedy hands get caught out.

Any investment is a personal choice and committment, and everyone should do their own due dilligence and risk assess depending on their cirucmstances.

I'm sure the King of Thailand knows his stuff.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-03/crypto-exchange-becomes-newest-thai-unicorn-as-bank-buys-stake

Main Stream Media outlets are polluted from their paid owners/heirarchy and they print what they're told to. Follow the money trail and you will find who owns most of these TV/Radio/Newspaper corporations. Follow them at your peril when it comes to relaible financial sources of news.

Good luck to all whatever you choose is right for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use