Qantas has made it mandatory that all employees must be vaccinated against Covid-19

Andrew Reeve

1130277613_Thaigernews.thumb.png.43748a509c36376329a78cc3fbf9b5a2.png

Qantas has announced that all of its personnel must be vaccinated against Covid-19, making it the latest international airline to make it compulsory. By mid-November, all frontline workers, such as pilots, cabin crew, and airport staff, must be completely vaccinated. The remaining staff will have until the end of March 2022 to obtain both doses, according to the Airline. It comes as New South Wales reported the highest daily increase in coronavirus infections within the country.

The national carrier of Australia is the country's largest company to implement a mandatory vaccination program.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce stated in a statement, "We provide a critical service; therefore this will assist in defending against the disruption that can be caused by just one positive COVID-case closing down a freight facility or airport terminal." "It's apparent that vaccinations are the only way to break the cycle of lockdowns and border closures," he continued, "and for many Qantas and Jetstar staff, it means getting back to work."

According to a poll of Qantas' 22,000 employees, 89 percent had either been vaccinated or planned to be, and around three-quarters thought vaccination should be mandatory. It claimed that 4% of the nearly 12,000 people who answered, or around 480 people, were reluctant or unable to acquire the vaccine. Staff with verified medical reasons for not being able to be vaccinated would be granted an exemption, according to the airline.

Qantas is essentially urging its employees to choose between been vaccinated and a job.

The Airline has been impacted by the epidemic more than any other Australian company. It has also been the biggest recipient of government support payments, with A$2 billion (£1.1 billion; $1.45 billion) planned by the end of the year to help it remain flying at a time when many of its planes are grounded.

Mandatory vaccination, on the other hand, is a contentious topic in this country.

Source: BBC

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

I hope they never fly internationally again.

Might be a reality, as they've struggled for some time now. 

Their general business acumen could be better.

15 hours ago, Rain said:

Their general business acumen could be better.

I would suggest many airlines should adopt their "business acumen" judging by this June 2021 Fortune article.

“How Qantas became one of the world’s most financially secure airlines during a pandemic”

"While losses at airlines globally from COVID-19 are set to surpass $174 billion by the end of 2021—wiping out half a decade of profits—Qantas has become one of the most financially secure carriers anywhere in the world. Its stock has surged 120% from a March 2020 low—almost double the return of the Bloomberg World Airlines Index—and its market value has swollen to A$8.9 billion ($6.7 billion). Qantas says net debt has peaked and it’s on track to deliver an underlying profit for the year ending this month."

https://fortune.com/2021/06/26/qantas-australia-airline-covid-success-domestic-travel/

Personally I don't fly them internationally unless I have no better choice for the flight departure time I need. There are other airlines flying similar routes that offer greater legroom for long haul flights which is something I personally prefer. 

As to a vaccine mandate for employees. It doesn't surprise me. They have a record of airline safety and it is possible they see this, and believe it to be, just another step to try to protect passengers and their employees on flights as they so often have done with other safety decisions in the past. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-safest-airlines-2021/index.html

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

I hope they never fly internationally again.

Many airlines have joined the IATA initiative to put in place a secure protocol for providing vaccine passports / certificates, without which passengers will be refused permission to fly unless they have doco for medical exception. It is highly likely all international carriers will have similar arrangements in the not too far future.

• Like 4

Aint gonna matter they are all done with this global covid psyop. Only things global airline will be used for is to bring refugees into your countries slaves.

• Like 1