Bangkok reports large number of dengue infections

Thaiger

Bangkok is reporting a prodigious amount of dengue infections from January 3 to July 3 of this year, says the Department of Disease Control. Currently, Bangkok has found 1,043 patients who have tested positive for dengue. 10 Bangkok districts alone are reporting nearly half that number. The districts are: Bang Khun Thian Chom Thong Bang Khae Yan Nawa Din Daeng Thon Buri Suan Luang Lat Krabang Lat Phrao Bang Na For the entire country, there have been a total of 9,878 dengue patients and 4 deaths, as of now. Besides Bangkok, the provinces that also have high infection rates include […]

The post Bangkok reports large number of dengue infections appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:00 AM, Lowseasonlover said:

That one way to lose weight 

Confirmed  got dengue long ago in LOS----lost 10lbs in 5 days.....took me months to fully recover--blah!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 4:44 AM, Lowseasonlover said:

That all you need Dengue and Covid I think you have both of them your number is up

Be interesting to compare the two as Dengue was absolute nightmare...laid out for weeks

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

In the early days of the Covid pandemic when Thai people seemed to be mostly Covid free,  it was suggested that previous exposure to Dengue fever could help to make people immune from Covid.  I don't have a source for this, I just recall reading it in the news.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Confirmed  got dengue long ago in LOS----lost 10lbs in 5 days.....took me months to fully recover--blah!

Me too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

In the early days of the Covid pandemic when Thai people seemed to be mostly Covid free,  it was suggested that previous exposure to Dengue fever could help to make people immune from Covid.  I don't have a source for this, I just recall reading it in the news.  

Also many of the symptoms for Dengue and Covid are similar we are told and I recall that in Korat last year there was a very high number of Dengue cases reported, higher than average. There was speculation at the time that due to next to no testing people were diagnosed with Dengue whereas they may well have been Covid symptoms

https://www.cdc.gov/dengue/is-it-dengue-or-covid.html#:~:text=Dengue and COVID-19,-Spanish&text=Dengue viruses and the virus,symptoms in the early stages.&text=Dengue is caused by one,in his or her lifetime.

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

Yes I recall a similar article. Some suggestion that there was a link between the two. I also understand Thais have a naturally high level of protection against Malaria which strengthens as they grown from an infant until their late teens. Maybe still a factor in the relatively low deaths from Covid. Fascinating stuff this virology 

This may have been the article you were referring to. Not sure if I’m allowed to post it? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN26C27E

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I recall a similar article. Some suggestion that there was a link between the two. I also understand Thais have a naturally high level of protection against Malaria which strengthens as they grown from an infant until their late teens. Maybe still a factor in the relatively low deaths from Covid. Fascinating stuff this virology 

This may have been the article you were referring to. Not sure if I’m allowed to post it? 

This guy also claimed that prior experiences to human coronaviruses “supposedly” provided immunity to a lot of Thais. And Thailand has a lot of experiences with coronaviruses being located in Southeast Asia

Starts around 6:50

• Thanks 1

Just now, 9S_ said:

This guy also claimed that prior experiences to human coronaviruses “supposedly” provided immunity to a lot of Thais. And Thailand has a lot of experiences with coronaviruses being located in Southeast Asia

Starts around 6:50

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-study-exclu-idUKKCN26C27E

I found this article from a year ago. I also recall theories about Dengue antibodies preventing Covid spread. There are probably several reasons why Thailand was spared for the first year. 

• Like 1

For the entire country, there have been a total of 9,878 dengue patients and 4 deaths, as of now.

Oh that's nothing compared to Covid with 748376483736474858484673383736388484 cases and 8373878494376262726363627366363634 deaths. 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

One of the main reasons Thais and many Asians have resistance to Malaria is because they often have Thalassemia (the mild form). Seems that maybe it also helps with Covid too.

A Southeast Asian Perspective on the COVID-19 Pandemic: Hemoglobin E (HbE)-Trait Confers Resistance Against COVID-19 (nih.gov)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1