Massage businesses file class action suit against government over Covid restrictions

Thaiger

Thailand’s massage parlours and spas are suing the government, demanding compensation for the loss of income they’ve endured as a result of Covid-19 partial lockdowns. Thai PBS World reports that 172 massage parlours and spas filed a class action suit against the Finance Ministry and the government. They are demanding to be compensated for the financial losses they’ve suffered since last year, as a result of Covid-19 restrictions. According to the Thai PBS World, the suit has the support of Aksika Chantarawinji and Pitak Yotha, MPs from the opposition Move Forward Party. Aksika has spoken out in defence of the […]

The post Massage businesses file class action suit against government over Covid restrictions appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Closing massage shops has caused tremendous hardship all around. Hope this lawsuit will bring relief to everyone affected.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

Closing massage shops has caused tremendous hardship all around. Hope this lawsuit will bring relief to everyone affected.

Exactly fingers crossed that this has a happy ending

28 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Do they pay taxes? If they do wouldnt they be covered in social security?

For the girls working in the traditional Thai massage places, yes. But even they had a bit of a fight at the start. For the business owners it varied. This also applied for many of the owners when other small compensatory amounts were paid by the Government under different schemes.

Think this group are looking though for a lot more to compensate for closures they see as inconsistent or unfair and their resulting loss.

Simply can't see the Government laying down and agreeing as it would open the floodgates

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s massage parlours and spas are suing the government, demanding compensation for the loss of income they’ve endured as a result of Covid-19 partial lockdowns. Thai PBS World reports that 172 massage parlours and spas filed a class action suit against the Finance Ministry and the government. They are demanding to be compensated for the financial losses they’ve suffered since last year, as a result of Covid-19 restrictions. According to the Thai PBS World, the suit has the support of Aksika Chantarawinji and Pitak Yotha, MPs from the opposition Move Forward Party. Aksika has spoken out in defence of the […]

The post Massage businesses file class action suit against government over Covid restrictions appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I hope this encourages other market sectors to raise class actions against the government.

They have decimated lives and livelihoods in a misguided and ineffective attempt to deal with the virus. 

We may or may not have a medical pandemic, but we certainly do have a mass psychoses.

What did Carl Jung have to say about this:

“Indeed, it is becoming ever more obvious that it is not famine, not earthquakes, not microbes, not cancer but man himself who is man’s greatest danger to man, for the simple reason that there is no adequate protection against psychic epidemics, which are infinitely more devastating than the worst of natural catastrophes.”

Carl Jung, The Symbolic Life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

Be handy if they can pull it off .. the lawsuit I mean ..

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 9S_ said:

Do they pay taxes? If they do wouldnt they be covered in social security?

How can they pay taxes when they're not recognised ? 

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

Laughable motion. Good luck

Why ? Can't see the funny side in going hungry or not being able to provide for their families The government cream off income from these people via tourism, then deny they even exist when it comes to recognition.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

40 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How can they pay taxes when they're not recognised ? 

Brown envelopes don't count as taxes??????

Edited by King Cotton
Duplicated quote deleted.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, palooka said:

Brown envelopes don't count as taxes??????

No because the brown envelope recipients aren't the ones that will provide a little social security when the shit hits the fan.

44 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Why ? Can't see the funny side in going hungry or not being able to provide for their families The government cream off income from these people via tourism, then deny they even exist when it comes to recognition.

There is nothing funny about losing the job, but trying to blame government for trying to save lives is laughable. If you think that touching of the body lying semi naked on the bed used by many in a closed quarters is a hygienic in any way, I have no way to convince you otherwise. 

To me personally, Thai massage is equals to licking a trash can.

As I said, good luck

Edited by King Cotton
Minor typo fixed
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

1 minute ago, AlexPTY said:

There is nothing funny about losing the job, but trying to blame government for trying to save lives is laughable. If you think that touching of the body lying semi naked on the bed used by many in a closed quarters is a hygienic in any way, I have way to convince you otherwise. 

To me personally, Thai massage is equals to licking a trush can.

As I said, good luck

Life has no meaning without a good massage!

However sorry I think you've gone off piste - this is about the government helping out with some cash because people have lost their jobs. The same people that the government make money out of. That's not fair

What the content of their job is, is completely irrelevant IMO

and why only semi naked ? That groin strain isn't going to massage itself !

• Haha 2