Woman who stole over 250 million baht from sick mother sentenced to 12 years

Thaiger

A Bangkok woman who stole 253 million baht from her elderly sick mother has been jailed for 12 years. The Bangkok Post reports that 55 year old Mawadi Siwirat stole the money from her 84 year old mother, named as Huay Siwirat, while she was receiving hospital treatment for a heart condition. Mawadi pled guilty and was found guilty on 6 counts of theft. According to the report, the court did not suspend the sentence due to the severity of the crime. The theft came to light when a lawyer for Huay petitioned the Anti-Money Laundering Office to look into […]

The post Woman who stole over 250 million baht from sick mother sentenced to 12 years appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Frightening isnt it, daughter steals from her mother, but with the help of corrupt bank employees.

Shocking state of affairs if you cant trust staff at the bank.

No wonder the bank guarantee is being reduced to 1 million.

Just now, colinneil said:

Frightening isnt it, daughter steals from her mother, but with the help of corrupt bank employees.

Guess that is so those few dishonest bank staff can continue their tricks and the banks are only responsible for the 1st million of any fraud/theft.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I've never trusted bank staff especially here in Thailand

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jberg said:

Was the money recovered?

Doubt it, gambled away

Edited by Lowseasonlover

3 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I've never trusted bank staff especially here in Thailand

Nor me after being stiffed by more than one over the years, lied to and over charged. Which is the bank in question here? oh the good old defamation laws for telling the truth!

1 minute ago, thai3 said:

Nor me after being stiffed by more than one over the years, lied to and over charged. Which is the bank in question here? oh the good old defamation laws for telling the truth!

I had one problem many years ago when 7000 baht went missing, the bank were completely useless they just shut up shop on me, And no i didn't get my money back

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Lets not go there

Wow they don't piss about with sentences here do they - in the UK you would have been told to do 35 minutes community service ! (incl a lunchbreak)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I had one problem many years ago when 7000 baht went missing, the bank were completely useless they just shut up shop on me, And no i didn't get my money back

You got off lightly, before I started using wise they held onto a transfer until the rate went down and cost me 40k baht. Another time they charged for a transfer when the bank in the UK had already done that. Both times they would not even answer emails from the bank in the UK.

39 minutes ago, Jberg said:

Was the money recovered?

Fair question. I guess this, 'A police investigation revealed that Mawadi was behind the transactions, with the involvement of a number of bank employees.' gives a fair idea of who 'disappeared' the money. Yeah, blame the bank, why not?

A nasty business for sure for your second post . . . sorry I missed your debut!

Hello, Jberg and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

If this is a completed case and a bank was implicated, it can hardly be defamation to name them as the details must surely be in the public domain already when sentencing was dished out, so does anyone know who was involved ? it would be useful information that their aren't alarm bells going off in a bank some of us may bank with when fraud is taking place. 

There is no possible way this could happen in the UK. You can't fart in a UK branch now without the IT systems going into meltdown!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

If this is a completed case and a bank was implicated, it can hardly be defamation to name them as the details must surely be in the public domain already when sentencing was dished out, so does anyone know who was involved ? it would be useful information that their aren't alarm bells going off in a bank some of us may bank with when fraud is taking place. 

There is no possible way this could happen in the UK. You can't fart in a UK branch now without the IT systems going into meltdown!

I cant find anything saying which bank at the moment

On 8/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Lowseasonlover said:

I cant find anything saying which bank at the moment

Bangkok Post says:

"Ms Huay had accounts with Kasikornbank's Srinagarind Km 9 and Sukhumvit 101 branches"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Bangkok Post says:

"Ms Huay had accounts with Kasikornbank's Srinagarind Km 9 and Sukhumvit 101 branches"

Thanks for the info . . . @Lowseasonloverwill appreciate it, I'm sure. And your 2nd post, too . . . sorry I missed your debut, last month.

Hello, Guest1 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton