Yellow House book and Thai ID Card for Expats

AussieBob

Clearly the Thai provided 'Farang' ID card is useless in terms of being able to use it as an Identity Card in order to gain many things - including Thai prices at Govt Venues like National Parks. 

But hitting the nail are the comments about Expats being 'non-immigrants' - in other words all Expats are 'long term tourists' (with a Visa for working, marriage, retirement, education).  Therein lies the problem - there is no official 'classification' in between those 2 extremes - such as what we have in most western countries - 'Resident'.  Therefore there is no Expat ID Card worth the trouble it takes to get one - because the truth is that all Expats are classified as a non-immigrant foreigner on a tourist/visitor Visa that allows an extended stay in Thailand because of 'working - marriage - retirement - education'. And that 'permission to stay' as a 'tourist' can be extended once a year.

Does anyone know if those new/approved Visa for the wealthy retirees is actually grant residency - or is the holder merely a tourist that has been granted exemption from most of the rules such as, 90 days reporting and annual extensions etc. 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Does anyone know if those new/approved Visa for the wealthy retirees is actually grant residency - or is the holder merely a tourist that has been granted exemption from most of the rules such as, 90 days reporting and annual extensions etc. 

I think at this time no one really knows what the rules will be. However I would suspect that the new "ideas" will not grant automatic permanent residency, so hence yes they will still be classed effectively as tourists as you say.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Clearly the Thai provided 'Farang' ID card is useless in terms of being able to use it as an Identity Card in order to gain many things - including Thai prices at Govt Venues like National Parks. 

Actually Bob, on production of my pink ID card, I've received the Thai price so far at anywhere that had a dual price entrance fee. I was once refused the Thai price visiting an Elephant sanctuary, until I asked the guy on the gate could I see his Thai ID card. He obliged, then I asked him who issued him his ID card. The Thai Government he replied. What, the same Government that issued me my ID card, I replied.

Thai price!  😊

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Faz said:

Actually Bob, on production of my pink ID card, I've received the Thai price so far at anywhere that had a dual price entrance fee. I was once refused the Thai price visiting an Elephant sanctuary, until I asked the guy on the gate could I see his Thai ID card. He obliged, then I asked him who issued him his ID card. The Thai Government he replied. What, the same Government that issued me my ID card, I replied.

Thai price!  😊

My Thai wife used to do that for me too - I would show my Thai Driving Licence and certificate of residency. Most places it was OK - but it didn't work at some Aquarium somewhere - they wanted 100 baht for wife and 500 baht for me - my wife was not happy and we walked away. That was the worse case. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 3:28 AM, Transam said:

I have had my yellow book since 2007, to my surprise I am on the Thai hospital computer system because of it, I am a number...😊

I'm on hospital computer also, no yellow book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Faz said:

They're supposed to be a biometric ID card.
As I originally stated I don't think your Amphoe is familiar with the process.

What is actually included on a 'barometric' Pink Card?

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:07 AM, Faz said:

he thumbprint is not embedded in the card though as it is not chipped, but by swiping the magnetic strip gives access to a database to confirm your thumbprint.

Really? I don't believe it. You need electric power and WiFI to access a database.

• Cool 1

I've been on the road for several days, and have checked into 3 hotels/motels in the Chiang Rai area. All accepted the pink Thai ID in lieu of a passport. No raised eyebrows or eyerolls.

• Cool 1

22 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Really? I don't believe it. You need electric power and WiFI to access a database.

Card readers are connected to computer terminals.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, Bluesofa said:

The only time my pink ID card was swiped was at the post office when I was sending a parcel.

Just as well the PO had a card reader, connected to a terminal and paid their electric bill then William.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, ThailandBob said:

I've been on the road for several days, and have checked into 3 hotels/motels in the Chiang Rai area. All accepted the pink Thai ID in lieu of a passport. No raised eyebrows or eyerolls.

I would bet they are just happy to have a guest and make some money.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 5:56 AM, Bluesofa said:

The bank account interested me. I asked when I opened the last bank account, but the bank said they needed to print my name as per my passport, not as per the transliteration into Thai.
Not the end of the world, just a bit irritating, so had to use  my passport.

But as we know, if I'd traipsed round a few more banks, I maybe could have found one willing to accept my Thai ID.

"transliteration into Thai."

How is this done? Who does it? Or is there a standard guide, e.g. Vince is always วินเซนต์

1 hour ago, Vince said:

How is this done? Who does it? Or is there a standard guide, e.g. Vince is always วินเซนต์

There's an official standard RTGS  see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription   

The drawback is that following it isn't easy, and often doesn't correspond to how us ferangs would write the Thai word in English.
In fact a lot of government departments don't follow the rules of the RTGS.

When I applied for my yellow housebook, I translated my name into Thai myself, as I know the weak point is that Thais often don't know how to pronounce some Latin names, so when  a Thai is reading the name in Thai script it often isn't pronounced the same as the Latin name.

I see yours is OK - วินเซนต์ is Vincent.
It would be be pretty petty of me to say the last letter would ideally be วินเซนท์ to make it sound more like 'T' than the hard 'D', as the sign above it means it's not really pronounced anyway.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

There's an official standard RTGS  see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription   

Brilliant. Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I see yours is OK - วินเซนต์ is Vincent.
It would be be pretty petty of me to say the last letter would ideally be วินเซนท์ to make it sound more like 'T' than the hard 'D', as the sign above it means it's not really pronounced anyway.

It's from a translation app :-D 

my Thai is not that advanced. 

1 hour ago, Vince said:

To obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners, you need to apply for a Tabien Baan (Yellow House book) in the first instance. Read Applying for a Yellow Tabien Baan (House Book) - > Tabien Baan explained - Blue Book/Yellow book - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, Faz said:

To obtain a Thai ID card for foreigners, you need to apply for a Tabien Baan (Yellow House book) in the first instance. Read Applying for a Yellow Tabien Baan (House Book) - > Tabien Baan explained - Blue Book/Yellow book - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

Thank you.

What if the Head of Household doesn't want to cooperate for whatever reason but you already have a multi-month lease? Is the only recourse getting another lease and negotiating it up front? 

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

Regarding the above:
"2. Certified (Embassy) copy of your Passport, translated into Thai, then the certified copy and Thai translation legalized by the Legalisation department of Thailand's MFA."

Fortunately for me eight years ago there was only a requirement for a certified copy of my passport details page translated into Thai.
Also 'certified' allowed me to use a local (Udon) translation agency, for which I had translated my name into Thai already and asked the staff to use my spelling, which they were happy to do.

• Like 2

Just now, Bluesofa said:

Regarding the above:
"2. Certified (Embassy) copy of your Passport, translated into Thai, then the certified copy and Thai translation legalized by the Legalisation department of Thailand's MFA."

Fortunately for me eight years ago there was only a requirement for a certified copy of my passport details page translated into Thai.
Also 'certified' allowed me to use a local (Udon) translation agency, for which I had translated my name into Thai already and asked the staff to use my spelling, which they were happy to do.

Yeah, times have certainly changed.

9 years ago I translated my own Passport and certified it myself, which was accepted by the Amphoe.
Now, no such luck!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vince said:

Thank you.

What if the Head of Household doesn't want to cooperate for whatever reason but you already have a multi-month lease? Is the only recourse getting another lease and negotiating it up front? 

I know this could become involved, but perhaps asking a lawyer to explain the head of the household about the law.
It now needs the bluebook holder to assist, in order to apply for a yellow housebook:

Thai Civil Registration Act 2551 [2008]

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Registrations under paragraph one and two shall lie in the manner prescribed in the regulations under the discretion of the Director of Central Registration.”

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vince said:

Thank you.

If the Head of household doesn't want co operate then you can't register your details with the Amphoe to obtain a Yellow house book and pink ID card. It's purely voluntary on their part.
There is no requirement for a foreigner to obtain a pink ID card, it just makes certain procedures simpler if you have one.

Other foreigners will have different views and state it's not worth the hassle and the bureaucracy of obtaining one, out ways the benefits.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I know this could become involved, but perhaps asking a lawyer to explain the head of the household about the law.

The 'head of household' of course it not necessarily the owner, but the person responsible for the registration entries in the book. They are the first entry in the book and titled with the status of being the 'householder'. Other entries have their status registered as 'dwellers'.

18 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It now needs the bluebook holder to assist, in order to apply for a yellow housebook:

Yep, 9 years ago, the then landlady and householder had to sign a consent form permitting me to use her registered address as my place of residence.

• Like 1

Bluesofa/Faz   "2. Certified (Embassy) copy of your Passport, translated into Thai, then the certified copy and Thai translation legalized by the Legalisation department of Thailand's MFA."  

My local ampur office just asked for my marraige certificate which is already in thai and a notarized copy of my passport (with no conditions on where/who notarized it...think they will kick a locally notarized copy back at me? My application for marraige registration included an Embassy copy of my passport and the sign off from Thailand MFA.

2 hours ago, BainaiThai said:

My local ampur office just asked for my marraige certificate which is already in thai and a notarized copy of my passport (with no conditions on where/who notarized it...think they will kick a locally notarized copy back at me? My application for marraige registration included an Embassy copy of my passport and the sign off from Thailand MFA.

It's entirely at the discretion of your local Amphur what 'they' are prepared to accept.
Most now request a certified Embassy copy of Passport ID page, translated into Thai, then legalised by the MFA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 5:30 PM, Faz said:
On 1/31/2022 at 5:30 PM, Faz said:

It's entirely at the discretion of your local Amphur what 'they' are prepared to accept.
Most now request a certified Embassy copy of Passport ID page, translated into Thai, then legalised by the MFA.

Most?? Where did you get that fact from? 🤐 

Mine were happy with translations by a local, certified translator. No need to go to the Embassy.

Edited by Ric_Grimes