Thai ID Card for Expats

17 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I hadn't realised the pink ID card was biometric?

So my Amphoe informed me, hence the requirement for a screened thumbprint.
The thumbprint is not embedded in the card though as it is not chipped, but by swiping the magnetic strip gives access to a database to confirm your thumbprint.

It's debatable how much information the Thailand 'Smart chipped ID card actually holds.
I've never come across a government agency that has equipment to swipe or read any form of Thai ID card.

Although Thailand's ID card were issued with a microchip in 2005, the digital ID bill wasn't passed until 2019, hence I doubt ID cards issued before 2019 actually hold much or any personal information.
Smoke without fire. The Thai ID cards along with the foreigners pink ID card seem to be taken at face value.

Thailand's Smart ID Card, which features the use of a microchip, was first introduced in 2005. However, the use of biometrics with the National ID card did not  materialize until 2019, when the Digital ID Bill was passed by the National Legislative Assembly. Currently, a national digital ID company is testing the implementation of digital IDs, but progress is slow.

https://advox.globalvoices.org/2020/05/18/a-glimpse-at-thailands-digital-id-through-the-biometric-profiling-of-malay-muslims/

1 hour ago, Faz said:

So my Amphoe informed me, hence the requirement for a screened thumbprint.
The thumbprint is not embedded in the card though as it is not chipped, but by swiping the magnetic strip gives access to a database to confirm your thumbprint.

It's debatable how much information the Thailand 'Smart chipped ID card actually holds.
I've never come across a government agency that has equipment to swipe or read any form of Thai ID card.

Although Thailand's ID card were issued with a microchip in 2005, the digital ID bill wasn't passed until 2019, hence I doubt ID cards issued before 2019 actually hold much or any personal information.
Smoke without fire. The Thai ID cards along with the foreigners pink ID card seem to be taken at face value.

https://advox.globalvoices.org/2020/05/18/a-glimpse-at-thailands-digital-id-through-the-biometric-profiling-of-malay-muslims/

An interesting article there.
The muslims in the south do seem to get a rough time. It makes you wonder how far this biometric data will get used, once the system is in full swing.
It was also interesting to read that stateless people applying for Thai citizenship have to have a DNA test.

From what you said about thumb prints above, at present it appears that only someone with access to the ID database can read the data.
Not an insurmountable hurdle as we're all aware.

What might happen if and when the ID card microchip eventually holds that data too, is another matter.

The only time my pink ID card was swiped was at the post office when I was sending a parcel.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The only time my pink ID card was swiped was at the post office when I was sending a parcel.

First time I've heard of any office with such a reader.

The only time my card has been swiped is by me - cleaning. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mystery solved. My wife accidentally texted something in Thai intended for our movers (a Thai company). It ended up in my Line chat, which I then translated to English.

What she was telling them was that she will send them (a photo of) my Thai ID on October 6. 

October 6 is the appointment date to get my Thai ID.

She's been in the US for the last few months and it's been rather difficult to communicate at times, given we have a lot of things going on concurrently.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

What she was telling them was that she will send them (a photo of) my Thai ID on October 6. 

Why?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Faz said:

Why?

According to my wife if we send them a photo of the yellow book and my Thai ID along with her blue chanote and her Thai ID, we get a discount somewhere in the shipping revenue chain. Remains to be seen what the final cost will be. I'm still waiting. My 6 months here as an expat is approaching and the VAT waiver is about to expire.

And I'm unsure what date starts the 6-month clock either.  I made a quick run back to the US in June to get my vaccine and came back on June 10. That's probably the start date.

Edited by ThailandBob

Today, I got my non-Thai ID card. A few things surprised me.

• Amphoe asked my religious affiliation and blood type, but nowhere do I see that info on the card
  • Amphoe asked for a signature, but the signature wasn't printed on the card
  • Amphoe scanned my thumbprints electronically, but the thumbprints are not encoded on the card

The first bullet on the back of the card states, "This is not an identity card." 

Other than my photo, no biometric (thumbprint and signature data) is on the card. So, this card truly isn't an identity card. It's basically what security wonks would call a "flash pass." There's no chip, so there's no way to cryptographically authenticate that the card isn't a clone that I printed at home. The laminate material has some holographics on it which could be replicated, or at least simulated to fool the untrained eye. But there's no way to electronically authenticate the cards, and since it doesn't contain electronically encoded thumbprint or retina templates, no way to electronically authenticate the cardholder either.

Indeed, the operator who collected the demographic and biometric data and then printed the card had his own Thai ID inserted into a smart card reader. That's consistent with the PIV/CAC/TWIC issuance process, where the agent's ID card uses a private key encoded into a container to encrypt the information he/she gathered before sending it over the wire to a central data repository. That's exactly how it's done in the US, and I venture to guess they are using off-the-shelf identity management/card management software that requires that level of security. So, good that they do that, but too bad that non-Thais don't get full-on identity cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

Today, I got my non-Thai ID card. A few things surprised me.

• Amphoe asked my religious affiliation and blood type, but nowhere do I see that info on the card
  • Amphoe asked for a signature, but the signature wasn't printed on the card
  • Amphoe scanned my thumbprints electronically, but the thumbprints are not encoded on the card

The first bullet on the back of the card states, "This is not an identity card." 

Other than my photo, no biometric (thumbprint and signature data) is on the card. So, this card truly isn't an identity card. It's basically what security wonks would call a "flash pass." There's no chip, so there's no way to cryptographically authenticate that the card isn't a clone that I printed at home. The laminate material has some holographics on it which could be replicated, or at least simulated to fool the untrained eye. But there's no way to electronically authenticate the cards, and since it doesn't contain electronically encoded thumbprint or retina templates, no way to electronically authenticate the cardholder either.

Indeed, the operator who collected the demographic and biometric data and then printed the card had his own Thai ID inserted into a smart card reader. That's consistent with the PIV/CAC/TWIC issuance process, where the agent's ID card uses a private key encoded into a container to encrypt the information he/she gathered before sending it over the wire to a central data repository. That's exactly how it's done in the US, and I venture to guess they are using off-the-shelf identity management/card management software that requires that level of security. So, good that they do that, but too bad that non-Thais don't get full-on identity cards.

Same stuff when I got one last week, but it does have your Thai ID number. Seeing as we are all non-immigrants, the card just helps with basic info when the thing is swiped, your thumbprints will be shown etc.

1 hour ago, ThailandBob said:

It's not a Thai ID card.
You can't use it to cross a local border for example as a Thai can.
It's purely for use within Thailand.

• Like 1

Clearly the Thai provided 'Farang' ID card is useless in terms of being able to use it as an Identity Card in order to gain many things - including Thai prices at Govt Venues like National Parks. 

But hitting the nail are the comments about Expats being 'non-immigrants' - in other words all Expats are 'long term tourists' (with a Visa for working, marriage, retirement, education).  Therein lies the problem - there is no official 'classification' in between those 2 extremes - such as what we have in most western countries - 'Resident'.  Therefore there is no Expat ID Card worth the trouble it takes to get one - because the truth is that all Expats are classified as a non-immigrant foreigner on a tourist/visitor Visa that allows an extended stay in Thailand because of 'working - marriage - retirement - education'. And that 'permission to stay' as a 'tourist' can be extended once a year.

Does anyone know if those new/approved Visa for the wealthy retirees is actually grant residency - or is the holder merely a tourist that has been granted exemption from most of the rules such as, 90 days reporting and annual extensions etc. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Does anyone know if those new/approved Visa for the wealthy retirees is actually grant residency - or is the holder merely a tourist that has been granted exemption from most of the rules such as, 90 days reporting and annual extensions etc. 

I think at this time no one really knows what the rules will be. However I would suspect that the new "ideas" will not grant automatic permanent residency, so hence yes they will still be classed effectively as tourists as you say.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Clearly the Thai provided 'Farang' ID card is useless in terms of being able to use it as an Identity Card in order to gain many things - including Thai prices at Govt Venues like National Parks. 

Actually Bob, on production of my pink ID card, I've received the Thai price so far at anywhere that had a dual price entrance fee. I was once refused the Thai price visiting an Elephant sanctuary, until I asked the guy on the gate could I see his Thai ID card. He obliged, then I asked him who issued him his ID card. The Thai Government he replied. What, the same Government that issued me my ID card, I replied.

Thai price!  😊

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Faz said:

Actually Bob, on production of my pink ID card, I've received the Thai price so far at anywhere that had a dual price entrance fee. I was once refused the Thai price visiting an Elephant sanctuary, until I asked the guy on the gate could I see his Thai ID card. He obliged, then I asked him who issued him his ID card. The Thai Government he replied. What, the same Government that issued me my ID card, I replied.

Thai price!  😊

My Thai wife used to do that for me too - I would show my Thai Driving Licence and certificate of residency. Most places it was OK - but it didn't work at some Aquarium somewhere - they wanted 100 baht for wife and 500 baht for me - my wife was not happy and we walked away. That was the worse case. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 3:28 AM, Transam said:

I have had my yellow book since 2007, to my surprise I am on the Thai hospital computer system because of it, I am a number...😊

I'm on hospital computer also, no yellow book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

I'm on hospital computer also, no yellow book.

That's great.......👏...........😊

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Faz said:

They're supposed to be a biometric ID card.
As I originally stated I don't think your Amphoe is familiar with the process.

What is actually included on a 'barometric' Pink Card?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:07 AM, Faz said:

he thumbprint is not embedded in the card though as it is not chipped, but by swiping the magnetic strip gives access to a database to confirm your thumbprint.

Really? I don't believe it. You need electric power and WiFI to access a database.

I've been on the road for several days, and have checked into 3 hotels/motels in the Chiang Rai area. All accepted the pink Thai ID in lieu of a passport. No raised eyebrows or eyerolls.

22 hours ago, WilliamG said:

What is actually included on a 'barometric' Pink Card?

Maybe atmospheric pressure readings ?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Really? I don't believe it. You need electric power and WiFI to access a database.

Card readers are connected to computer terminals.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, Bluesofa said:

Just as well the PO had a card reader, connected to a terminal and paid their electric bill then William.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, ThailandBob said:

I've been on the road for several days, and have checked into 3 hotels/motels in the Chiang Rai area. All accepted the pink Thai ID in lieu of a passport. No raised eyebrows or eyerolls.

I would bet they are just happy to have a guest and make some money.

• Like 1