Yellow House book and Thai ID Card for Expats

AussieBob

I posted this in response to a post in another thread by @bushav8r - then I thought it might deserve a seperate thread.  Anyone else got some ideas on thoughts on a Thai ID card for Expats - meaning those living in Thailand on a Non-Immigration 12 months Visa. My idea is that the card would be available to obtain after an Expat has been granted a 12 months extension to their permission to stay. 

I would think that either category 6 or 8 would fit the bill - and therefore no need to change existing Thai Laws etc.

Category Description
0 (Not found on cards of Thai nationals but may be found in the other issued identity cards below)
1 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 and had their birth notified within the given deadline (15 days).
2 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 but failed to have their birth notified in time.
3 Thai nationals or foreign nationals with identification cards who were born and whose names were included in a house registration book before 1 January 1984
4 Thai nationals who were born before 1 January 1984 but were not included in a house registration book at that time, for example due to moving residences
5 Thai nationals who missed the official census or other special cases, for instance those of dual nationality
6 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand temporarily and illegal migrants
7 Children of people of category 6 who were born in Thailand
8 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand permanently or Thai nationals by naturalization

I know they would rather take a few 100 Baht each time an Expat needs a 'Certificate of Residency', but I would pay 1000 Baht a year every year to renew such an identification card - each time I extended my 'permission to stay'. Nothing expensive like the existing Thai ID Cards, but a cardboard folding card like the International driving licence - with my photo and Passport number - and a new stamp every year to show how many years I have been living in Thailand and under what Visa (working, retired, married). That would be handy in many situations - and for most things it would mean no need to carry around the Passport which is always a worry (not so much about being stolen, more likely I would lose it).   Thoughts?

• Like 1

I have a pink Thai id card. Not easy for me to get but then I did not have my birth certificate in Thailand. 

I am on a spouse visa 

Have to say that other than going to the hospital it seems to be next to useless. 

Immigration refuse to want it. Banks mostly not interested post office sometimes OK with it. Frankly they prefer my Thailand driving licence 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, PompeyLlama said:

I have a pink Thai id card.

Couple of months ago there was a lot of noise about this elsewhere on the interweb. In combination with a yellow house book it seems to tick most of the boxes Thai officialdom is looking for.

• Like 4

I have not heard anyone in forums or expats living here really talk about using it for anything other than the casual need to I.D. yourself. I suppose it would be better to not carry your passport around if you had one, so you don't lose that, but other than that I haven't heard of any advantages. If you ever need to get your yellow house book, then as I understand it, this is where all the actual work is done, the I.D. card comes with that if you ask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeyLlama said:

I have a pink Thai id card. Not easy for me to get but then I did not have my birth certificate in Thailand. 

I am on a spouse visa 

Have to say that other than going to the hospital it seems to be next to useless. 

Immigration refuse to want it. Banks mostly not interested post office sometimes OK with it. Frankly they prefer my Thailand driving licence 

Yeh - I have heard about that one - for those with a Yellow Book. But maybe there could be something more substantial provided by the Thai Govt - now that they are finally starting to recognise that Expats are a valuable commodity for their economy. I dont think it should have the same 'value' as a Passport, but something that would be like a driving licence for 'proving' one is not a Tourist but is a long term Expat.  

25 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

I have not heard anyone in forums or expats living here really talk about using it for anything other than the casual need to I.D. yourself. I suppose it would be better to not carry your passport around if you had one, so you don't lose that, but other than that I haven't heard of any advantages. If you ever need to get your yellow house book, then as I understand it, this is where all the actual work is done, the I.D. card comes with that if you ask. 

As far as I know, Yellow book does not apply for someone that is renting a house/apartment and I do believe that most long-term Expats do rent. I might be wrong, but certainly I have no intention of buying a Thai property. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I posted this in response to a post in another thread by @bushav8r - then I thought it might deserve a seperate thread.  Anyone else got some ideas on thoughts on a Thai ID card for Expats - meaning those living in Thailand on a Non-Immigration 12 months Visa. My idea is that the card would be available to obtain after an Expat has been granted a 12 months extension to their permission to stay. 

The question I would have is simply how would it benefit someone by having one.

For me personally, I am looking at possibly going down the pink ID path as I am eligible for that. But I am even only considering that as there is a possibility I may have to return to Australia over the coming months, which will be a challenge in itself.

I will likely need something to meet requirements for the granting of an exemption from the tightened rules for leaving Australia, so I can return. The pink ID is one possible option I am looking at.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Yeh - I have heard about that one - for those with a Yellow Book. But maybe there could be something more substantial provided by the Thai Govt - now that they are finally starting to recognise that Expats are a valuable commodity for their economy. I dont think it should have the same 'value' as a Passport, but something that would be like a driving licence for 'proving' one is not a Tourist but is a long term Expat.  

I remain unconvinced that the Thai authorities see Farangs as a valuable commodity.

A driving licence gets you quite a long way in the credibility stakes........Thai price at many (not all) venues.

I am not against Thai ID cards but I think their importance has been overplayed by some people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

The question I would have is simply how would it benefit someone by having one.

For me personally, I am looking at possibly going down the pink ID path as I am eligible for that. But I am even only considering that as there is a possibility I may have to return to Australia over the coming months, which will be a challenge in itself.

I will likely need something to meet requirements for the granting of an exemption from the tightened rules for leaving Australia, so I can return. The pink ID is one possible option I am looking at.

The benefit would be that there would be no need to apply/pay for a Certificate of Residence for all the various reasons that the Certificate is needed.

Good luck with getting back to Aus - not easy at the moment at all - NSW in lockdown, VIC part way there, and others likely to join soon.

4 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I remain unconvinced that the Thai authorities see Farangs as a valuable commodity.

A driving licence gets you quite a long way in the credibility stakes........Thai price at many (not all) venues.

I am not against Thai ID cards but I think their importance has been overplayed by some people. 

Not the Junta clearly - but maybe the next Thai Govt will admit it and do things like an ID Card.

Driving Licence OK many places, but many Thai place need the Certificate, which is only valid for 1 month.

4 hours ago, Transam said:

ID card is worth having, same as a yellow book. Folk come on these forums and say they are useless, but they are not in practice.

This morning l had a Sinopharm jab, and got a docket for the follow-up, for free, how, over 70 with a yellow book.... 😊

Thanks - and going forward an official Thai ID card for long-term Expats would become like the Yellow Book and Driving Licence - very handy at times.

• Like 1

ID card is worth having, same as a yellow book. Folk come on these forums and say they are useless, but they are not in practice.

This morning l had a Sinopharm jab, and got a docket for the follow-up, for free, how, over 70 with a yellow book.... 😊

I got my vaccine for free only need my passport

I have a pink card which the hospital didnt recognise

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Thanks - and going forward an official Thai ID card for long-term Expats would become like the Yellow Book and Driving Licence - very handy at times.

Pinned and locked topic on the subject here Bob.
Applying for a Yellow Tabien Baan (House Book) - > Tabien Baan explained - Blue Book/Yellow book - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

You have to obtain the Yellow house book to get the Thai ID card for foreigners.

• Thanks 1

I speak as I find and stand by what I said. Apart from hospitals I have found that most places that want id are not interested in my pink id card and this includes government offices. 

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

Pinned and locked topic on the subject here Bob.
Applying for a Yellow Tabien Baan (House Book) - > Tabien Baan explained - Blue Book/Yellow book - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

You have to obtain the Yellow house book to get the Thai ID card for foreigners.

Thanks Faz - appreciated. Unfortunately that is not always so easy when you are renting a house/apartment - tried to do it once myself but the owner lived in Bangkok (Chiang Mai).

Plus what I am really after is not just the 'standard' Pink ID card, but something new and more 'substantial' that is recognised and accepted by all Thai Government departments, agencies and offices - and only available for specific long term Expats - those who have lived on a Non-O Visa for a minimum of 12 months, and have had their permission to stay extended for another 12 months. As far as I know, any foreigner in Thailand on a valid Visa can get a pink ID card - if they bother going through the process. 

12 minutes ago, Transam said:

I have had my yellow book since 2007, to my surprise I am on the Thai hospital computer system because of it, I am a number...😊

The public hospital used just my name which they misspelt 

The private hospital was the one that wouldnt use my pink card as the name is in Thai script 

Which is the strange thing with pink cards against Thai blue ID cards which have the name in our script

1 minute ago, noosard said:

The public hospital used just my name which they misspelt 

The private hospital was the one that wouldnt use my pink card as the name is in Thai script 

Which is the strange thing with pink cards against Thai blue ID cards which have the name in our script

The Thai pink ID card for foreigners is in Thai only?  Really?? Unbelievable if that is the case.

8 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I would think that either category 6 or 8 would fit the bill - and therefore no need to change existing Thai Laws etc.

Category Description
0 (Not found on cards of Thai nationals but may be found in the other issued identity cards below)
1 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 and had their birth notified within the given deadline (15 days).
2 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 but failed to have their birth notified in time.
3 Thai nationals or foreign nationals with identification cards who were born and whose names were included in a house registration book before 1 January 1984
4 Thai nationals who were born before 1 January 1984 but were not included in a house registration book at that time, for example due to moving residences
5 Thai nationals who missed the official census or other special cases, for instance those of dual nationality
6 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand temporarily and illegal migrants
7 Children of people of category 6 who were born in Thailand
8 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand permanently or Thai nationals by naturalization

I know they would rather take a few 100 Baht each time an Expat needs a 'Certificate of Residency', but I would pay 1000 Baht a year every year to renew such an identification card - each time I extended my 'permission to stay'. Nothing expensive like the existing Thai ID Cards, but a cardboard folding card like the International driving licence - with my photo and Passport number - and a new stamp every year to show how many years I have been living in Thailand and under what Visa (working, retired, married). That would be handy in many situations - and for most things it would mean no need to carry around the Passport which is always a worry (not so much about being stolen, more likely I would lose it).   Thoughts?

Interesting no category 9. when I mentioned it once in a previous posting life, my post was deleted with minutes.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Good luck with getting back to Aus - not easy at the moment at all - NSW in lockdown, VIC part way there, and others likely to join soon.

Yeh, praying I don't have to go.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Transam said:

My yellow book is all in Thai script, I haven't a clue what anything in it says, but today the nurse looked in my yellow book and quoted my whole name perfectly...😊

Edited Tabien Baan translated to English Trans, so you know what it states.

1479880105_TranslationTB2.Edited..thumb.jpg.9bb5c49c32e88ab80cf42d7990649fe7.jpg

The person first named in a Blue book has the status of 'Householder'.
Others named in the book have the status of 'resident' as do foreigners in a Yellow book.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Thanks Faz - appreciated. Unfortunately that is not always so easy when you are renting a house/apartment - tried to do it once myself but the owner lived in Bangkok (Chiang Mai).

If it's rented accommodation then you need the permission of the 'householder' and they have to sign a consent form as your using their address to register.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Interesting no category 9. when I mentioned it once in a previous posting life, my post was deleted with minutes.

Foreigners who are basically Non Immigrant status will always have their ID number start with a 6.

Foreigners with PR status have an ID number starting 8.

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Faz said:
38 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Foreigners who are basically Non Immigrant status will always have their ID number start with a 6.

Foreigners with PR status have an ID number starting 8.

And the missing digit  no one's allowed to mention...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Unlucky that .. 

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, PompeyLlama said:

I speak as I find and stand by what I said. Apart from hospitals I have found that most places that want id are not interested in my pink id card and this includes government offices. 

Thais use the Tabien Baan and ID card together for most things and that's how foreigners should use them.

Things I've successfully used my TB and ID card for.

• Renew my Thai Driving Licence.
  • Purchase a vehicle.
  • Renew Road tax.
  • Renew vehicle Insurance.
  • Tax registration and annual returns
  • Opening new bank accounts.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1