Man believes 2 prostitutes stole necklace off him in Pattaya

Thaiger

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Some people think they have a right to show off! 

Edited by JamesR
I comment to the wrong message so I deleted it

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Ahhh nice to see some normality coming back to the LOS......(hides wallet in sock)

Probably a silly question, but I see many people referring to LOS on this site, is it a local farang community acronym?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

Probably a silly question, but I see many people referring to LOS on this site, is it a local farang community acronym?

No such things as silly questions, my door is always open! 555(hahaha)..

LOS....The Land of Smiles aka Thailand

When I was getting my teaching degree we had a culture day--seems there are 13 thai "smiles"

https://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

22 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

No such things as silly questions, my door is always open! 555(hahaha)..

LOS....The Land of Smiles aka Thailand

When I was getting my teaching degree we had a culture day--seems there are 13 thai "smiles"

https://www.thethailandlife.com/whats-behind-a-thai-smile

Thanks, I read the article regarding the smiles, I have worked in many European countries, the USA and spent long periods of time in Asia as well, I think the list of smiles can be found in most of the countries/Continents I mentioned above.

I am surprised as mentioned in the article that some men are confused with the smiles as they are common to many countries. 

Oy yes, one thing did confuse me about Thailand to start with many years ago is if you almost trip over or if you bang into something accidentally a Thai person near you may laugh out loud, I was told they do it as to help you avoid embarrassment by trying to play down the event with laughter.

Edited by JamesR
typo

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks, I read the article regarding the smiles, I have worked in many European countries, the USA and spent long periods of time in Asia as well, I think the list of smiles can be found in most of the countries/Continents I mentioned above.

I am surprised as mentioned in the article that some men are confused with the smiles as they are common to many countries. 

Oy yes, one thing did confuse me about Thailand to start with many years ago is if you almost trip over or if you bang into something accidentally a Thai person near you may laugh out loud, I was told they do it as to help you avoid embarrassment by trying to play down the event with laughter.

Hooo boy..I was a newbie back in 08 and got my teeth whitened in LOS and OMG something happened and my teeth were screaming in pain somehow from the treatment and I can recall was the Doctor laughing.as i was NOT.....fast forward a decade and I become more thai each year...is annoying to me at time but as long as I understand thais I deal with it.....I guess the biggest problem is getting a thai to explain it to me..555

You no unnnerstaaaan thai peee--pole!!!!!!!    Ok..Explain it to me......Oy!!!  Noooooooo cannot!  mai dai!!!!!

Lucky for me, as I recommend, find at least one good thai friend(not easy) as he will explain "thainess" to me, as he asks me to help him with western culture and slang...esp curse words! 555...He is chinese-thai ..smart.

But I guess can chalk it up to culture clash, as i tend to notice we are still all same same but different....555

Also the thai "circles" 1 is family, u will never be in #1, if u marry a thai you are in #2, the jerk that cuts u off in traffic thinks u are in #3, they will likely never see u so they dont care, coworkers would be #2 as well, as u will see them at work and have to take in the status etc...the boss being the father of all his workers..being asians are a hive mentality, like bees and a queen, move as ONE, thais are all about family and we tend to be raised to be independent in the world, where we will see culture clashes aka take care

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/11-things-you-should-know-about-thai-culture/#:~:text=11 Things You Should Know About Thai Culture,is unique. ... 7 Superstitions are rife.

1 hour ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Hooo boy..I was a newbie back in 08 and got my teeth whitened in LOS and OMG something happened and my teeth were screaming in pain somehow from the treatment and I can recall was the Doctor laughing.as i was NOT.....fast forward a decade and I become more thai each year...is annoying to me at time but as long as I understand thais I deal with it.....I guess the biggest problem is getting a thai to explain it to me..555

You no unnnerstaaaan thai peee--pole!!!!!!!    Ok..Explain it to me......Oy!!!  Noooooooo cannot!  mai dai!!!!!

Lucky for me, as I recommend, find at least one good thai friend(not easy) as he will explain "thainess" to me, as he asks me to help him with western culture and slang...esp curse words! 555...He is chinese-thai ..smart.

But I guess can chalk it up to culture clash, as i tend to notice we are still all same same but different....555

Also the thai "circles" 1 is family, u will never be in #1, if u marry a thai you are in #2, the jerk that cuts u off in traffic thinks u are in #3, they will likely never see u so they dont care, coworkers would be #2 as well, as u will see them at work and have to take in the status etc...the boss being the father of all his workers..being asians are a hive mentality, like bees and a queen, move as ONE, thais are all about family and we tend to be raised to be independent in the world, where we will see culture clashes aka take care

It all depends which circles you mix in, Thailand is like the Victoria times in England 150 years ago with the class differences.

Well off Thais have servants/drivers who have to bow their heads in their presence, they are the third class, the families children and their husbands and wives are treated as 1st class. It used to embarrass me as they had to walk in on their knees if we were sat down as their heads could not be higher than their employers.

I met my wife in England as she was doing her Masters degree here after her first degree in Thailand, I had never been to Thailand before at the time of meeting her.

Her immediate family were all professionals, they all spoke very good English, better than a lot of poorly educated English people I have met. All university educated. 

Her uncle back in 1987 when I was married in Thailand was the Vice President of Thailand, so no not all Thais say "You no unnnerstaaaan thai peee--pole!!!!!!!"

I do see most farangs though do end up with mostly (Note I said mostly and not all) uneducated, poor Thai women much younger than themselves as they are the only type of girls they can meet in the types of bars they go to and unfortunately think most Thai women are like that.

I met a Spanish guy once and he said I seemed to be polite and educated, I asked why he had asked and he said all the British tourists he meets in Spain are drunk all the time, swear a lot and fight. I explained that mostly uneducated people go to Spain, the rest of us stay away and that is why he thought we are all the same.

The same thing applies to Thailand, meet people from a certain circle and what you learn from them is all you will come to know about Thai culture.

So yes there is a big culture difference in Thailand but it is easy to overcome with a bit of research and practice. 

Edited by JamesR
typo
  • Like 2

Thanks, I read the article at the link you provided above, yes I have come across and have dealt with all of the items in the list, except for superstitions, as again this is based on education.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:33 PM, JamesR said:

Thanks, I read the article at the link you provided above, yes I have come across and have dealt with all of the items in the list, except for superstitions, as again this is based on education.

Agreed I realized this when I used to teach thais..and eventually gave up trying..

4 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Agreed I realized this when I used to teach thais..and eventually gave up trying..

Well, there are lots of Thais in good university in the UK, Australia and the USA just to name a few countries, they are just as capable as the rest of us, there are people of all nationalities around the world with varying educational capabilities.

I have met many Thais who are educated and those who are not, I find them to be no different to the many people I have met while working throughout Europe, the USA and Asia. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:41 AM, JamesR said:

If the story is true then why would anybody walk in a place like Pattaya near the beach at night wearing gold?

In 2019 I was building a house in Rayong about one hundred kilometres south of Pattaya over a four month period.

One afternoon we drove to Pattaya, at about five pm we walked on the beach road and we noticed a lot of women standing alone along the pavement, blokes would stop and have chat and then move onto the next one.

It was obvious of course what they were up to but the area was full of kids on holiday with their parents, I was wondering why they were allowed to 'work' there, I am sure if they want to sell themselves they could do in in a girly bar away from 'standard tourist'.

Pattaya, not a place for me.

It's an open air brothel full of the worst types from abroad and Thailand

2 minutes ago, thai3 said:

It's an open air brothel full of the worst types from abroad and Thailand

But as I was there, I saw lots of Chinese tourists walking in separate groups all following a tour guide with a flag, then I suppose they went back to their hotels, so I suppose things might change in Pattaya to accommodate such tourists as I has done in Phuket as there are no more 'street girl' hanging about and most of the bar areas from years ago have been knocked down and turned into hotels and shops.

21 hours ago, JamesR said:

Well, there are lots of Thais in good university in the UK, Australia and the USA just to name a few countries, they are just as capable as the rest of us, there are people of all nationalities around the world with varying educational capabilities.

I have met many Thais who are educated and those who are not, I find them to be no different to the many people I have met while working throughout Europe, the USA and Asia. 

As have I , the majority of students I had in CMX were kids who had no desire to learn english and I did not get my degree to be a babysitter. However have met a few nice educated thais and a couple that got a few scholarships to Germany and last I heard he was working for Mayo Clinic in USA, so Kudos to him as well..

Im happy to meet and chat with thais, as I think the issue being the educated ones have no time to engage me and of course always being seen as a tourist and not an expat seems to bring only the bad ones to me..

8 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

As have I , the majority of students I had in CMX were kids who had no desire to learn english and I did not get my degree to be a babysitter. However have met a few nice educated thais and a couple that got a few scholarships to Germany and last I heard he was working for Mayo Clinic in USA, so Kudos to him as well..

Im happy to meet and chat with thais, as I think the issue being the educated ones have no time to engage me and of course always being seen as a tourist and not an expat seems to bring only the bad ones to me..

A lot of my Thai in-laws went to universities in the USA and England so their English is excellent, well the ones who went to study in England that is :)

But then many left to live in places like NZ, England etc as there was not that much scope for them regarding jobs in Thailand, they had better prospects elsewhere plus many said working in Thailand in such heat is tiring, it is OK if you are sat by a pool as a tourist but not working in the heat day after day even with air-con.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesR said:

A lot of my Thai in-laws went to universities in the USA and England so their English is excellent, well the ones who went to study in England that is :)

But then many left to live in places like NZ, England etc as there was not that much scope for them regarding jobs in Thailand, they had better prospects elsewhere plus many said working in Thailand in such heat is tiring, it is OK if you are sat by a pool as a tourist but not working in the heat day after day even with air-con.

I know heat and esp Humidity as Im on the east coast here in the states..I used to work outdoors cutting grass on gov areas and helipads/ proving grounds etc, took me a week to cut whole property and humping trimmers and blowers in the blazing sun and humidity....lost alot of weight!

2 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

I know heat and esp Humidity as Im on the east coast here in the states..I used to work outdoors cutting grass on gov areas and helipads/ proving grounds etc, took me a week to cut whole property and humping trimmers and blowers in the blazing sun and humidity....lost alot of weight!

I worked in New Jersey in 1995 for a year for AT&T near Morris Town, the summer of 1995 was one of  the hottest on record and the winter was one of the coldest.

When I mentioned London UK many people said, oh lots of rain but forgot to realise the vast range of the weather differences in New Jersey between winter and summer.

Edited by JamesR
typo
  • Cool 1

20 hours ago, JamesR said:

I worked in New Jersey in 1995 for a year for AT&T near Morris Town, the summer of 1995 was one of  the hottest on record and the winter was one of the coldest.

When I mentioned London UK many people said, oh lots of rain but forgot to realise the vast range of the weather differences in New Jersey between winter and summer.

Yes Im about an hour from NJ.....ive spent a few months camping in my car in summer and boy that humidity is my biggest foe....summers here and the humidity match if not rival LOS....I do like winter and snow tho...

Yes Im about an hour from NJ.....ive spent a few months camping in my car in summer and boy that humidity is my biggest foe....summers here and the humidity match if not rival LOS....I do like winter and snow tho...

In the South East of England we get snow maybe once every few years which actually settles on the ground.

When that happens everyone goes into panic mode, don't go out, transport is stopped, you are going to die out there etc are the warnings.

In NJ the snowploughs come out, the roads are still icy and hard to drive on but your soon get used to it as the locals just seem to carry on, it is only snow they say.........

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, Soidog said:

20,000 baht? Was that it’s weight or value😉. 20,000 baht wouldn’t even get 1 baht weight would it?. Let’s hope he never falls for a Thai bar girl. She’d be ashamed to walk around with just 1 baht of gold 😂

Bar girl would sell it before she even thought to wear it.

• Haha 1

So this man is saying there are prostitutes in Pattaya.  How ridiculous. The boys in brown put an end to that when they visited Soi 6 and concluded there was no prositution.  What a silly claim he makes:)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

So this man is saying there are prostitutes in Pattaya.  How ridiculous. The boys in brown put an end to that when they visited Soi 6 and concluded there was no prositution.  What a silly claim he makes:)

Yes, that would have been funny a year ago. I guess it didnt age well.

Have a lovely day.

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

Yes, that would have been funny a year ago. I guess it didnt age well.

Have a lovely day.

And you are?

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, JamesR said:

I find even educated Thais have a lack of curiosity even vs. just the most average educated person from the west

That is not to question their intelligence, I actually find Thais, even the uneducated, to have a high level of base intelligence

• Thanks 1