Phuket to use smart card readers to look for Thais with outstanding warrants

Thaiger

Phuket is planning to use smart card readers to see if any Thai domestic arrivals have outstanding arrest warrants. The Region 8 Police Chief, Kitrat Panpetch, has donated 51 smart car readers and 20 smartphones, which will be used at Phuket’s Checkpoint that visitors must go through as they enter the island. Yesterday, Kitrat proffered the devices. Thai media reports that the card readers are valued at 14,359 baht. However, the value of the phones was not stated. It was not reported where Kitrat obtained the devices. Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Aganit Danpitaksat says the Phuket Checkpoint has turned […]

The post Phuket to use smart card readers to look for Thais with outstanding warrants appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket is planning to use smart card readers …. 

The phones and card readers work together to check for outstanding arrest warrants, the person’s criminal history and their COVID-19 infection history. The information will be saved and shared in a ‘Big Data’ system of the Region 8 Police,” says Kitrat.

Just wait until a Tourist kills someone. Not only will you have all the Phuket Sandbox paperwork but will have to provide a police check as well from your country of residence. They will then have to get passport scanners ….. more expense. Also what other infection history will the start checking for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket is planning to use smart card readers to see if any Thai domestic arrivals have outstanding arrest warrants. The Region 8 Police Chief, Kitrat Panpetch, has donated 51 smart car readers and 20 smartphones, which will be used at Phuket’s Checkpoint that visitors must go through as they enter the island. Yesterday, Kitrat proffered the devices. Thai media reports that the card readers are valued at 14,359 baht. However, the value of the phones was not stated. It was not reported where Kitrat obtained the devices. Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Aganit Danpitaksat says the Phuket Checkpoint has turned […]

The post Phuket to use smart card readers to look for Thais with outstanding warrants appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So whilst they claim they will check new arrivals for miscreants, they must be quite happy for those already there to remain.

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Just wait until a Tourist kills someone. Not only will you have all the Phuket Sandbox paperwork but will have to provide a police check as well from your country of residence. They will then have to get passport scanners ….. more expense. Also what other infection history will the start checking for?

What if...what if....what if.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

How much of that is actually happening ? (Outside your head that is) 

Dont let this slide down the rabidly anti-Thai TVF route. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How much of that is actually happening ? (Outside your head that is) 

Dont let this slide down the rabidly anti-Thai TVF route. 

An example……

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koh_Tao_murders 

‘Though not a Tourist, was some people from outside Thailand that require passports as identification.

Actually happening, it only requires one.

As a former smart card developer and security backend system integrator, the technology and cryptography used in such a system -- and then move strong authentication to a mobile platform is mind-boggling. Given they can't even get a vax registration web site to run right...

I'd love to get a look at what's on those ID cards to see just how easy/hard it would be to alter/forge. That's not to say I'd do it for nefarious purposes, but just out of curiosity.

Edited by ThailandBob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandBob said:

As a former smart card developer and security backend system integrator, the technology and cryptography used in such a system -- and then move strong authentication to a mobile platform is mind-boggling. Given they can't even get a vax registration web site to run right...

I'd love to get a look at what's on those ID cards to see just how easy/hard it would be to alter/forge. That's not to say I'd do it for nefarious purposes, but just out of curiosity.

Wikipedia has some information. 

Thai identity card - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Wikipedia has some information. 

Wouldn't it be nice if they provided an identity card to all long term Expats - those who have arrived/stayed on a 12 month Visa and then had it extended for at least another 12 months.  I would think that either category 6 or 8 would fit the bill - and no need to change existing Laws.

Category Description
0 (Not found on cards of Thai nationals but may be found in the other issued identity cards below)
1 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 and had their birth notified within the given deadline (15 days).
2 Thai nationals who were born after 1 January 1984 but failed to have their birth notified in time.
3 Thai nationals or foreign nationals with identification cards who were born and whose names were included in a house registration book before 1 January 1984
4 Thai nationals who were born before 1 January 1984 but were not included in a house registration book at that time, for example due to moving residences
5 Thai nationals who missed the official census or other special cases, for instance those of dual nationality
6 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand temporarily and illegal migrants
7 Children of people of category 6 who were born in Thailand
8 Foreign nationals who are living in Thailand permanently or Thai nationals by naturalization

I know they would rather take a few 100 Baht each time an Expat needs a 'Certificate of Residency', but I would pay 1000 Baht a year every year to renew such an identification card - each time I extended my 'permission to stay'. Nothing expensive like the existing Thai ID Cards, but a cardboard folding card like the International driving licence - with my photo and Passport number - and a new stamp every year to show how many years I have been living in Thailand and under what Visa (working, retired, married). That would be handy in many situations - and for most things it would mean no need to carry around the Passport which is always a worry (not so much about being stolen, more likely I would lose it). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Wouldn't it be nice if they provided an identity card to all long term Expats

There is a Pink ID Card, complete with photo, which anyone with a Yellow Book may obtain.  Acquired mine when 1st introduced for free although some Amphurs may charge a small fee.

Ironically the card has 'Not to be used for ID purposes' printed on the back though I have used it in Banks and Govt offices from time to time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Vague and non-specific to Thai iD. In my last job as a govt contractor, I developed a Java app that verifies the security of PIV, PIV-I and CAC cards. The source is on GitHub. I finished the project in Feb just before I came to Thailand but brought my smart card reader. I have access to a Thai ID. I'd be interested in how the card data is secured (that's what my previous job was all about).

I really like the idea of a ICC-based non-Thai ID (pink) card which could contain biometric and demographic info. It could eliminate a lot of the paperwork we currently need to provide to everyone, and would allow us to leave our passports in a safe place. I get my pink card tomorrow and I'm told that even with that card, we must still have our passports with us for most things. By storing a digitally signed biometric (finger/iris template), biometric readers could verify that you're who you say you are.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that I went to the wrong link back there. No glasses to day - in the shop. The identity card link is indeed about Thai. 

10 hours ago, ThailandBob said:

I'm sorry that I went to the wrong link back there. No glasses to day - in the shop. The identity card link is indeed about Thai. 

No problem.  Also,  I don't think paperwork will ever be eliminated in Thailand.  😀

• Cool 1

On 8/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, HolyCowCm said:

And in reality, who are the biggest crooks and dishonest people in this country?

" The Region 8 Police Chief donated 51 smart card readers to scan ID cards as well as 20 smartphones."

That is why I hope that these scanners, if finding a culprit with outstanding warrant, are rising awareness not only to the one, using the scanner .

Money is in high demand, right now!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

" The Region 8 Police Chief donated 51 smart card readers to scan ID cards as well as 20 smartphones."

That is why I hope that these scanners, if finding a culprit with outstanding warrant, are rising awareness not only to the one, using the scanner .

Money is in high demand, right now!

I was sort of hitting on another point, and these certain people would never have their details scanned. But fair enough, it seems Thailand is becoming more dangerous as people lose their shirts.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1