Monk in Phitsanulok allegedly kills man with shotgun at meditation centre

Thaiger

This morning, a monk who runs a Buddhist a meditation centre in northern Thailand’s Phitsanulok province has resolved a long-running argument with another man by allegedly shooting the other man dead. Suparerk Chanmee, from the Sai Yoi police, says the shooting, which took place at the Ratchathani Buddhist Meditation Centre, was reported to the police around 10 am this morning. Shortly after it was reported, police and rescue workers got to the scene. 41 year old Phra Sitthikorn Yankhrue, the monk that ran the centre/alleged shooter, was waiting for the police at the scene. Thai media says the monk gave […]

The post Monk in Phitsanulok allegedly kills man with shotgun at meditation centre appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Phra Sitthikorn has since been booted from the monkhood by a local abbot. Further, as a non-monk, he has now been charged with murder."

So if he was a monk he couldn't be charged with murder?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

23 minutes ago, Saunk said:

"Phra Sitthikorn has since been booted from the monkhood by a local abbot. Further, as a non-monk, he has now been charged with murder."

That's exactly how I read it. Monkhood immunity maybe.

4 hours ago, King Cotton said:

I’m reading it that way too and to have a gun when you’re a monk. I give up, some things just don’t make sense to me

• Like 1

Wow, what does it take to piss off a meditation-practicing monk to the point where he acquires a firearm and ends your latest feud with it? 

Either that was one seriously on-edge monk or one royally annoying neighbor. 

11 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Well why do you think it is common for criminals or those running from the law  or other events  enter the Monkhood  in Thailand. Cowards in hiding some also, remember Suthep and Sondhi Limthongkul ?. If you want to know more why Suthep Thaugsuban did that then google him and choose the Khaosod  article. 

11 hours ago, Saunk said:

That's correct. I've read this before when a monk was accused of a crime.  He can't formally be charged while a monk, so must be stripped of his religious orders first.

11 hours ago, Saunk said:

Any monk guilty of any crime, has to be de frocked before police can charge him with a crime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saunk said:

Correct - monks cannot be charged with a crime.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Any monk guilty of any crime, has to be de frocked before police can charge him with a crime.

Yes and no - or more accurately no and yes.

Whether they're guilty or not, they can't be charged while they're a monk.

12 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Actually, if he has taken a human life, according to the vinaya he is no longer considered a monk and therefore would and should be charged with murder. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

And is there a queue for that too?

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

And is there a queue for that too?

Do they have to do it at the temple? Wat defrock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1