Tourism officials hopeful mandatory quarantine can be reduced in Q4

Thaiger

Even as the country continues to struggle with its worst Covid-19 crisis since the start of the pandemic, the Tourism Authority of Thailand remains optimistic. TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn is crossing everything that the mandatory quarantine period might be reduced to 7 days in the last quarter of the year. The Bangkok Post reports that Yuthasak’s optimistic outlook is based on the pandemic being brought under control – a situation that currently seems a long way off. Justifying a possible reduction in quarantine, the TAT governor points out that since July 1, just 0.28% of the tourists who arrived under […]

The post Tourism officials hopeful mandatory quarantine can be reduced in Q4 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So would this be the ASQ quarantine? After all we have been told time and again the Phuket scheme isn’t a quarantine. If the idea is to release tourists to travel to the rest of Thailand after 7 days then they need to drop one of the tests. Even so I don’t think the 14 day stuck in Phuket was the biggest detriment to increasing tourist numbers. 

• Like 3

Cleverly left out of the Thaiger story but in the original source: "Tourism promotions should be targeted at travellers who can comply with additional rules during trips, particularly regarding health and safety, said Mr Yuthasak."

I wonder if there will be any clarification on that.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

the Tourism Authority of Thailand remains optimistic

With all their tourist predictions for the sandbox you would think that TAT would tell us exactly when mandatory quarantine will be relaxed. Maybe they need the Thai PM to be in charge of the TAT as he seems to know when things will happen, especially all things Covid-19 related.

I wonder though what optimistic tourist numbers they are going to project for the 4th quarter?

• Like 2

Only those with ties to Thailand will jump through the hoops. The usual tourists will go to Florida or Spain instead for their yearly 2 week holiday.

• Like 5

They still are shooting themselves in the foot.

Fully vaccinated, with a clear PCR test less than 72 hours before boarding...no quarantine.

That's the only way they are going to attract any numbers.

They can use their precious Big Brother app and request PCRs at entrance and say, day 5...then lay off.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Yuthasak’s optimistic outlook is based on the pandemic being brought under control

i think western media doing great advertising for Thailand right now, very optimistic images of burning cars on the streets

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Even as the country continues to struggle with its worst Covid-19 crisis since the start of the pandemic, the Tourism Authority of Thailand remains optimistic. TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn is crossing everything that the mandatory quarantine period might be reduced to 7 days in the last quarter of the year. The Bangkok Post reports that Yuthasak’s optimistic outlook is based on the pandemic being brought under control – a situation that currently seems a long way off. Justifying a possible reduction in quarantine, the TAT governor points out that since July 1, just 0.28% of the tourists who arrived under […]

The post Tourism officials hopeful mandatory quarantine can be reduced in Q4 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

they already reduced it from 14 to 10 day for some countrys ...just to increase it overnight again for ALL and harden the circumstances ( no rooftime...no fitnesscenter  ) and increased the price...( before 14d. was cheaper than after that second increase ....only because their hi - so had a superspreader party...

cannot trust thai policys...once i did it but never again... although had a great hotel good food nice helpful stuff etc etc...but as a proven 100 percent healthy person i find this treatment humilitating and useless ( as skyrocking covid  numbers show ) a waste of ones time and money....

i think tourism here is dead if it ever recovered than to a max of 25 percent from before covid...

they made thailand a jail...a bunch of useless policy's that ruined tourism stockmarket and the rest of the economy...these pokicys only led to the increase of covid...plus they bought the most useless vaccine in the market ( sinovac bullshit ) useless for delta as it can be... lots of time and money is wasted because their general ( beloved godlike person of the thai people ) wanna stuff his pockets with the cash kickbacks from the chinese.....

the only result is public unrest and the death of several vaccinated hospital stuff....

the great highly respected and beloved king anything...????...does the richest monarch of the world gets involved with his cash to help his burdened people with free pfitzer for everybody...??????

mai loo, mai mee, mai dai...the usual response ?????

i just gotta wish everybody here chok dee from my heart...in LOS u can see the failure and downfall of a whole society in the shortest possible time...

maybe soon the drug lords or the chinese overtake the country once again...

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Even so I don’t think the 14 day stuck in Phuket was the biggest detriment to increasing tourist numbers. 

Totally agree @EdwardV  14 days in Phuket is a perfect holiday for many. What killed it is the COE application and the 3 Covid tests you need in country. Not to mention the one before you leave and most likely another one your return. Replacing some of these with Antigen tests would be bad enough, but at least it’s quick and cheap. 

The TAT Governor is opening his mouth, and the monsoon winds are blowing his tounge about. Just over 20,000 "tourists" into Phuket in a little over six weeks. Its going to be one hell of a leap from that to 1.2 million by the years end. I can smell those bulls again!

I’ve just read the original article and I find it hard to describe how utterly ludicrous and frustrating it is. I know some of the subtleties of language are perhaps lost in translation, but there is nothing subtle in the level of ignorance being spouted here. The total lack of any understanding relating to the pandemic is bad enough; after all, the TAT aren’t medical experts. However, the total ignorance of what tourists require in order to increase numbers is beyond words. Phrases such as “after the outbreak subsides” is straight out of the local weatherman’s lips. He also says it depends on a vaccination push to contain the virus by the early 4th quarter. That’s 7 short weeks away. The curve is still on the way up. Even if 120 million Pfizer vaccines arrived today, it would still take at least 4 months (more like 6) to inject people with a single dose, then wait at least another 4 weeks to start the second dose which again would take 4 to 6 months to complete, and one small problem, 120 million Pfizer doses aren’t arriving today.  Does this man have even the faintest idea how long this can go on for in an unvaccinated country? The whole world has been grappling with it for 20 months. He talks of herd immunity and has no idea what it means or any understanding that with current vaccines that’s never going to happen. It’s all rounded off with ridiculous claims of the economy getting back to normal by the end of next year. Totally and utterly unbelievable. 

As long as the country and the world is still raging with levels of Covid as they are, there will be no change to quarantine. There will be no change to exiting travel restrictions and the economies of the world; especially a tourist dependant economy like Thailand, will not recover in the next 5 quarters.  

I feel like screaming. Maybe I should have just posted that, but I had to get it off my chest.  😂😂

AED105B8-14C2-48F7-952F-FF9162943C4F.gif

• Like 4

I've read the previous comments and it's certainly a "tale of woe". But the way through is ,to make Phuket a truly isolated place. Phuket is an island. So it is a perfect place to make a start. For that geographic advantage to work, it needs some essential things to happen. Firstly, vaccination of the entire population of Phuket(done in part, but not total). Secondly, contactless (that is without physical contact) transfer of any goods coming into Phuket from outside Phuket (greater Thailand), without any Thais crossing into Phuket. Yes, I know it's their own country and they don't need a farang to tell them what to do, however, right now (if you want it to work), keep out. So if Thais can organise two groups of transporters of goods (Deliverers and Receivers), it will work. The border of Phuket is the place where goods can be transferred. A prime mover to transport to the border and another prime mover to receive and transport to point of delivery. Thirdly, you've already put several layers of protection on foreign arrivals. Start mass testing of the people of Phuket to test for cases. Once detected, they must be immediately isolated. Every case of Delta is a threat to the sandbox working. 

I think if these things are implemented, Phuket can restore tourism and be a model for other provinces. 

• Like 2

“Yuthasak acknowledges that in order to achieve this, mass vaccination of the population is essential, creating herd immunity”. How naive can you be? Even for countries like the the UK, who currently have one of the highest vaccinated populations in the world, there is no ‘herd immunity’. The UK is still reporting 20,000+ new infections every day. The only thing vaccination can do is reduce your symptoms if you catch the virus and very significantly limit the chances of you needing hospital treatment or dying. There seems to be a breathtaking level of ignorance in government circles as to what vaccination can and cannot do.

• Like 1