TAT still pushing to launch Phuket 7+7 plan despite Covid-19

Thaiger

Many of the original Sandbox-style plans to reopen tourist destinations to international travellers have been delayed as Covid-19 outbreaks spread and domestic travel has been mostly shut down, but the Tourism Authority of Thailand is still hoping to launch its 7+7 model to allow Phuket Sandbox travellers to stay one week before continuing on to a handful of other destinations. The plan to allow arrivals to spend 7 days in Phuket and then the next 7 days of their required 14-day arrival observation period at one of the 9 designated locations the TAT selected and is now asking the Centre […]

The post TAT still pushing to launch Phuket 7+7 plan despite Covid-19 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The TAT state 500 covid infections per week in Phuket.

Have I missed something, or have we been told  porkies with regard to weekly infection rates?

🤔

• Like 2

I'm just about ready to complete my COE for September travel from the U.S. I was going to go with the Samui sandbox (because why not spend my quarantine at the beach right), but I want to get back home to Buriram and it just looks, at the moment, that the best options for interprovincial travel might be from Bangkok. I haven't decided yet. Samui? or BKK? Renting a car or renting a taxi from the sandbox locations just seems more onerous. I have seen other get an ALQ, as opposed to the ASQ, in places like Chonburi, so I looked into the ALQ in Buriram. But it doesn't sound like they are able to accomodate me as an international arrival. So... Bangkok may be the best option?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The TAT state 500 covid infections per week in Phuket.

Have I missed something, or have we been told  porkies with regard to weekly infection rates?

🤔

I thought the magic figure was 90 infections in one day, that would cause a reconsideration of the Sandbox. I know we have exceeded this figure on a number of occasions already. But 500 in a week???

• Cool 1

The outbreaks appear to be confined to markets and construction sites involving migrant workers, fisherman are also contributing significant numbers and seems the authorities have contained the clusters. Certainly no indications it has reached tourist or beach areas in the south ......but who knows. They are desperate to keep sandbox open as it remains the only hope of any kind of tourist season come November , which is vital for many small business’s ......mass tourism is a year away at very best one suspects.

6 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

I thought the magic figure was 90 infections in one day, that would cause a reconsideration of the Sandbox. I know we have exceeded this figure on a number of occasions already. But 500 in a week???

It's just a Maths thing . . . no worries!

• Haha 2