3 million Sinovac doses arrive in Bangkok from China

Thaiger

10 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I checked out pricing following stonker and benroon and I could not believe it - the Sinovac is by far the most expensive dose - but it has the least efficacy.  Multiple credible organisations have made that claim. 

Ouch Ouch Ouch

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, palooka said:

You keep forgetting the skimming that comes off the top of everything, probably onsold ages ago.

I think Thais have always been surprisingly accepting about skimming / corruption / abuse of power / call it what you will, putting it down to karma and the way things are, but I think Covid has been the catalyst that will change that as it's just been too much, too blatant, and had too much direct affect on too many people to be accepted any more.

I don't think those who've not been here over the last six months or so appreciate quite how much so many people's views have changed so dramatically - more, I'd say, in six months than in two decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

It Does? Obviously death is not a severe symptom.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-vaccines/bangkok-doctor-who-received-2-doses-of-sinovac-dies-of-covid-19

mmmmm Maybe not. This could be why the Thai Government now giving Medical workers the Pfizer booster shot? And they are not giving the public now two shots of Sinovac.

Every vaccine has its 'victims' as well you know. If not you're not looking. In that case nothing has yet come to light to say it was the vaccines fault. Thats why you said 'maybe not' and could be'.

This is my last exchange with conspiracy theorists on the matter. Live with your ignorance but dont try to taint me with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

It Does? Obviously death is not a severe symptom.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-vaccines/bangkok-doctor-who-received-2-doses-of-sinovac-dies-of-covid-19

mmmmm Maybe not. This could be why the Thai Government now giving Medical workers the Pfizer booster shot? And they are not giving the public now two shots of Sinovac.

I do know know of anyone who claims Sinovac is 100% effective in preventing death. 

For that matter, I have also read of a person fully vaccinated with Pfzier who caught and died of COVID.   What do you have to say about that?

This is a nasty pandemic.

Sinvoac / Pfizer

But yes, Sinovac, although I think demonstratively (via statistics), is not as good as Pfizer (nor as good as AstraZeneca for that matter) for preventing infections, Sinovac does save lives.  It does help reduce the severity of the virus infection for many. Statistics have also shown this.

As for the front line workers getting Pfizer booster shot now?  They are the MOST exposed.  IMHO they should get it now.  ASAP.

As for the rest getting booster jabs now? Why?  Why should they get such now??  Heck, many in Thailand have had no jabs!  Why should those who have been fully vaccinated (with Sinovac or AstraZeneca) get a Pfizer booster, when there are many MANY in Thailand who have had no vaccine jabs? 

I know of a few (over age-60) expats in Pattaya, who have driven to Bangkok and received a 1st jab of Pfizer.  IMHO (with exception of medical workers) they should get the Pfizer 1st before others get a booster jab.  

so you and I disagree here.

Sinovac / AstraZeneca

And you ask, why are people in Thailand now getting AstraZeneca as a second jab instead of Sinovac?  I think it has been proven to an optimal way to vaccinate Thai people rapidly, and give them higher anti-bodies (and thus hopefully higher efficacy).  A yet to be submitted (peer reviewed) study (Thai language), which I think is still underway, had some early results in the press, which showed 1 Sinovac followed by 1 AZ is superior to 2 x Sinovac, and almost as good as 2xAZ.   https://mgronline.com/qol/detail/9640000072391

Thailand is short of vaccines.  

So it makes sense to mix Sinovac and AZ, if it can result in more people vaccinated quicker with higher efficacy.   Not using Sinovac, and waiting for more AZ (which simply may not come) to achieve the same number of people vaccinated is IMHO a bankrupt strategy.   

Would I like to see more Pfizer and Moderna right now ?  Of course.  But it is not going to happen sufficiently to give boosters to those already vaccinated (except medical workers).

One can cry about the past mistakes, but such is not going to vaccinate people now. Rather doing something with what one can get now will do something.

IMHO Kudos (well done !!! ) to the Thai government for adopting this mixed strategy.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ouch Ouch. 

Oh well we can stop calling it a cheapo. So why is the Thai gov buying an expensive vaccine that doesn't do as they say's in the Tin.

• Cool 1

Having a Sinovac is about as much use as the face visor I received today purchased via Lazada from China 
I came in the end without any filters and totally useless :)

Wow. The chinese can still sell their shit here while they themselves have ordered Biontech last week. Honi soit qui mal y pense.  ("shame on anyone who thinks evil of it")

Btw: There is no vaccine called Pfizer. It's Biontech!!!!!!! Pfizer has worldwide sales and distribution rights for this german vaccine except for China.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Conka said:

Wow. The chinese can still sell their shit here while they themselves have ordered Biontech last week. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Btw: There is no vaccine called Pfizer. It's Biontech!!!!!!! Pfizer has worldwide sales and distribution rights for this german vaccine except for China.

I like your use of that old French maxim, there . . . most appropriate. And your debut proper (i.e. on-topic) post, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Conka and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 hours ago, vlad said:

Oh well we can stop calling it a cheapo. So why is the Thai gov buying an expensive vaccine that doesn't do as they say's in the Tin.

Perhaps loyalty and the old saying, nothing is ever free or I scratch your back, you scratch my back. Also from this it remains on course for them trying to sterilize washing the negatives and staying on their original plan. I would like to know if there are no real other choices out there to buy other vaccines and immediately bring them in. It seems the USA had too many in reserve last time I had read, but that may have changed for all the producers in other countries since the delta is wreaking havoc. who knows. It is still good to even have an inferior back up if there is no other, but for me, only if I get sick and no other choice is when you can jab me with it. Same goes for my family.

Now ther exorbitant price for the Chinese stuff is words for the loss. Outrageous. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Perhaps loyalty and the old saying, nothing is ever free or I scratch your back, you scratch my back. Also from this it remains on course for them trying to sterilize washing the negatives and staying on their original plan. I would like to know if there are no real other choices out there to buy other vaccines and immediately bring them in. It seems the USA had too many in reserve last time I had read, but that may have changed for all the producers in other countries since the delta is wreaking havoc. who knows. It is still good to even have an inferior back up if there is no other, but for me, only if I get sick and no other choice is when you can jab me with it. Same goes for my family.

Now ther exorbitant price for the Chinese stuff is words for the loss. Outrageous. 

Valid questions and concerns, for sure, especially your words, 'I would like to know if there are no real other choices out there to buy other vaccines and immediately bring them in. It seems the USA had too many in reserve last time I had read, but that may have changed for all the producers in other countries since the delta is wreaking havoc.'

Cynical and stubborn, maybe, but I have always held that this is the combined effect of a cash-strapped regime and, more sadly, a regime that seemingly - maybe actually - could hardly give a damn.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Cynical and stubborn, maybe, but I have always held that this is the combined effect of a cash-strapped regime and, more sadly, a regime that seemingly - maybe actually - could hardly give a damn.

I have no doubt they just want to continue and stay on their selfish hatched original plan while they are all jabbed with a vaccine that works. But I really would like to know the situation for vaccines about bringing them in so that the people would know that this is all truly BS and makes no sense as there are other best more affordable vaccine avenues to buy for the people here.

Not sure how much the turnip can be milked. But cash strapped especially as exports are going to greatly plummet due to high freight costs added with the port congestion fees. Only China going to be able to pay those. Wonder why and how they can do it? And besides, all these top clowns are wealthy well off and connected to some sort of money maker and will never have a problem of starving or losing their lively hoods. Hunkered and bunkered in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

It is still good to even have an inferior back up if there is no other, but for me, only if I get sick and no other choice is when you can jab me with it. Same goes for my family.

If that's your plan, you and your family need to re-think it.

All vaccines are useless, 100%, completely and utterly useless, once you "get sick".

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

All vaccines are useless, 100%, completely and utterly useless, once you "get sick".

Well I tend to disagree with your useless statement, but to each his or her own. If your immune system is strong enough to hold up and doesn't cave in then it will possibly give you a better chance at survival or recovery.

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well I tend to disagree with your useless statement, but to each his or her own. If your immune system is strong enough to hold up and doesn't cave in then it will possibly give you a better chance at survival or recovery.

Well, you can disagree as much as you want but vaccines are preventive, not treatments.

It's like going into battle and putting your armour on after you've been wounded, thinking it'll do you some good.

I've seen some seriously ill-informed, bad and dangerous advice here from the nut jobs / anti-vaxxers / flat earthers, but this has to be about the most dangerous idea that I've seen anywhere.

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

I disagree

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Well, you can disagree as much as you want but vaccines are preventive, not treatments.

No.

The vaccines are designed to boost the immune system to help one when they get sick.

Thinking that vaccines were designed to prevent an infection is just wrong. Reducing the chance of an infection is a side benefit but not the design of the COVID-19 vaccines.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

People always complaining about China making cheap stuff that breaks quick. 

Now they made something which is impossible to break and again it's not good. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

People always complaining about China making cheap stuff that breaks quick. 

Now they made something which is impossible to break and again it's not good. 😂

Same as always, you buy cheap, you get cheap.

The cheap buyers are the noisiest.

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

No.

The vaccines are designed to boost the immune system to help one when they get sick.

Thinking that vaccines were designed to prevent an infection is just wrong. Reducing the chance of an infection is a side benefit but not the design of the COVID-19 vaccines.

5 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I disagree

You've evidently badly misunderstood what I wrote, which was:

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

I'm not talking about "designed to prevent an infection" as I've said repeatedly elsewhere that's what they don't do and are not designed or intended to do, including in other current threads.

What they're designed to prevent, or at least minimise, is the chance of the person who's vaccinated suffering severe effects or death when they get infected as long as the vaccine has been given sufficiently in advance.

I'd assumed that was clear, but evidently it wasn't clear enough.

If you think vaccines are a "treatment" and can be administered after you're infected, as @HolyCowCm does, and that they then "boost the immune system to help one when they get sick" then you need to read what every Covid vaccine manufacturer says about their vaccines, without exception, as well as every senior medical and scientific adviser, as well as every hospital that administers the vaccine. 

I thought I'd seen some seriously dangerous advice here from the anti-vaxxers, but this idea that you can put off getting vaccinated until you're infected and then you can get vaccinated and it'll treat and cure you makes the danger from their advice pale into insignificance.

Unbelievable - simply unbelievable.

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

You've evidently badly misunderstood what I wrote, which was:

Hi Stonker, ... yes, going back over the thread, I see now you were replying to HolyCowCm who noted he would only get jabbed if he felt necessary after  being infected with the virus.  I didn't see that initially and hence I misunderstood your posts.

Clearly that (waiting until after infected before being jabbed) is FAR FAR too late for a jab, the jab would do no good (to give to a person already infected) , and worse still (IMHO) it would take away a useful vaccine jab that could be given to someone who is not yet infected.   

Thailand is short of vaccines and needs every vaccine dose it can get for the unvaccinated.

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

I'm not talking about "designed to prevent an infection" as I've said repeatedly elsewhere that's what they don't do and are not designed or intended to do, including in other current threads.

What they're designed to prevent, or at least minimise, is the chance of the person who's vaccinated suffering severe effects or death when they get infected as long as the vaccine has been given sufficiently in advance.

100% in agreement. 

Glad to read we are on the same page here.  I wish more people were (on the same page) - and some of the negative posts and negative understandings about the COVID vaccines utility/use surprise me.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

Thanks for that, @oldcpu - glad it was just a misunderstanding. 😇

Like you, I find the anti-vaxxers not just depressing but dangerous, and they seem bent on making the most of this forum as some sort of meeting place regardless of the relevance to Thailand.

What disappoints me most with @HCC's dangerous take on using vaccines as a cure is that this so clearly isn't possible - it's not anti-vaxx / flat earth / whatever, but just plain wrong and he's putting his family's lives at risk too.

• Like 2