3 million Sinovac doses arrive in Bangkok from China

Thaiger

Today, the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok announced via a Facebook post that an additional 3 million doses of Sinovace have arrived in Bangkok. The post also said that China has currently delivered 24.55 million doses of Sinovac to the Land of Smiles. Thailand’s Disease Control Department says 23,476,869 vaccines doses have been administered in Thailand since February 28. Of that number, 17,879,206 represent the initial first dose, and 5,073,672 represent people who have received a second dose. Further:  There have been 11,139,873 doses of Sinovac administered  10,080,141 doses of AstraZeneca administered  1,895,209 doses of Sinopharm administered  361,646 doses of Pfizer […]

The post 3 million Sinovac doses arrive in Bangkok from China appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Totally useless vaccine,  might aswell stick tap water in their arm!

Best wishes with your water placebo. ?

I have a different view than you wrt Sinovac efficacy in reducing serious illness and reducing chances of death.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1

I used to think that the best vaccine was the one you can get. Having been one of millions of people in Thailand to get Sinovac, I now realise that this isn't true. It effectively stops you getting a vaccine which is substantively more effective against delta and might last longer than the 6 months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

I think it says all that this news came from the Chinese Embassy as Thai government not see this as a win, but a vaccine they now will sneak into they already shaking vaccine program as people not have any influence on which vaccine they will get and then afterward govermment can cheer about the high vaccine number. Just another step to slow down the process to get Thailand back to normal as it is proven Sinovac is not efficent against the Delta version

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

25 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

I used to think that the best vaccine was the one you can get. Having been one of millions of people in Thailand to get Sinovac, I now realise that this isn't true. It effectively stops you getting a vaccine which is substantively more effective against delta and might last longer than the 6 months.

For certain, deciding to go now for a vaccine with less efficacy, as opposed to waiting for a vaccine with higher 'efficacy' is a hard decision/gamble.   It is possible, had you waited, you would now have COVID. You could be dead.   Who knows?

Its unfortunate that the Thailand 'contract' with AstraZeneca was so restrictive, as there is an ongoing study that has early results (not yet published nor peer reviewed)  that shows a booster jab of AstraZeneca, given a few weeks after the last of 2 Sinovac jabs, gives a tremendous boost in anti-bodies, far exceeding that of only 2 AZ jabs.  Here is a Thai language link to this ongoing study (note the graph in the study and ignore the Pfizer column as there was too little Pfizer in that study to give a meaningful plot of Pfizer):  https://mgronline.com/qol/detail/9640000072391

I have a relative, who is a front line worker in a hospital in Bangkok ... a Hospital that was turning away COVID patients as they were overwhelmed. She was constantly, day after day, working with people with COVID. For months all she had was 2 x Sinovac jabs to keep her healthy and the various protective medical kit she wore.  Early last week, she finally managed to get a Pfizer booster.  Her view and the view of her family, is that if she had not received the 2xSinovac, she would have come down with COVID. ... A number of her Sinovac work colleagues did come down with it, but fortunately none in her hospital died (those infected recovered) that I know of, and my understanding is most infected had minimal symptoms - again their view was Sinovac helped them.  The work load on the others in the hospital thou, was enormous (with hospital then being very short staffed) while those front line medical workers (and co-workers close to them) had to isolate.  So Sinovac helped but far from perfect. Far.

Obviously this relative of mine is now relieved to have received the Pfizer booster - but even that is not a-be-all-and-end all. She can still get infected.

Again, the belief is still, go for the vaccine you can get.

This is a very dynamic situation - and while I fully agree it looks very gloom for getting a booster jab (to help deal with the delta) , its hard to predict the future.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Dkmale said:

I think it says all that this news came from the Chinese Embassy as Thai government not see this as a win, but a vaccine they now will sneak into they already shaking vaccine program as people not have any influence on which vaccine they will get and then afterward govermment can cheer about the high vaccine number. Just another step to slow down the process to get Thailand back to normal as it is proven Sinovac is not efficent against the Delta version

A considered and cool take on the Sinovac debate. And your debut post, too . . . thanks for that!

Hello, Dkmale and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The post also said that China has currently delivered 24.55 million doses of Sinovac to the Land of Smiles

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

There have been 11,139,873 doses of Sinovac administered

So China says they've delivered 21.55 million doses, not including the last 3 million.

... and Thailand's CDC says they've administered 11.13 millon doses of Sinovac.

Regardless of how good or bad it is, that's over 10 million doses of Sinovac, nearly half the doses of  Sinovac China says it's delivered to Thailand,  that Thailand hasn't administered yet.

Something doesn't add up .....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So China says they've delivered 21.55 million doses, not including the last 3 million.

Regardless of how good or bad it is, that's over 10 million doses of Sinovac, nearly half the doses of  Sinovac China says it's delivered to Thailand,  that Thailand hasn't administered yet.

Yeah, I saw that too. Why is it that Government reported numbers here in Thailand always seem to defy basic arithmetic and the news reporters fail to follow up with simple questions? It would save us a lot of poot mak'in on this forum. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Yup and wonder where the 1M+ doses of Pfizer are hiding as well out of 1.5M delivered. Still diligently checking my email hourly  as per Expatvac instructions.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Why keep buying sinovac which is no good for delta covid. Waste of money

Sigh.

Because it prevents severe symptoms and hospitalizations.

Even with 'the Delta variant.'

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Because it prevents severe symptoms and hospitalizations.

It Does? Obviously death is not a severe symptom.
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cv19-vaccines/bangkok-doctor-who-received-2-doses-of-sinovac-dies-of-covid-19

mmmmm Maybe not. This could be why the Thai Government now giving Medical workers the Pfizer booster shot? And they are not giving the public now two shots of Sinovac.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Barrie said:

Why keep buying sinovac which is no good for delta covid. Waste of money

Cos its cheap and the Government can say we are buying vaccine there not bothered about the effectiveness as long as they can tell the population were buying Vaccine. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tea said:

Yeah, I saw that too. Why is it that Government reported numbers here in Thailand always seem to defy basic arithmetic and the news reporters fail to follow up with simple questions? It would save us a lot of poot mak'in on this forum. 

22 minutes ago, DiggR said:

Yup and wonder where the 1M+ doses of Pfizer are hiding as well out of 1.5M delivered. Still diligently checking my email hourly  as per Expatvac instructions.

Yes, it's possible to believe that some are "in transit", but no matter how bad the distribution system is it's just not credible that over ten million doses of Sinovac and a million doses of Pfizer are in transit or storage around Thailand while the country's desperate for vaccines.

That's half the vaccines administered in Thailand in the last six months, FFS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tea said:

You keep forgetting the skimming that comes off the top of everything, probably onsold ages ago.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vlad said:

Cos its cheap and the Government can say we are buying vaccine there not bothered about the effectiveness as long as they can tell the population were buying Vaccine. 

No its not - its allegedly 4 times the price of AZ !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vlad said:

The one thing Sinovac is NOT is "cheap" - it's one of the most expensive Covid vaccines available, reportedly as much or more than Moderna or Pfizer, six times more than J & J (three times more per dose) and up to ten times more than AZ.

10 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The one thing Sinovac is NOT is "cheap" - it's one of the most expensive Covid vaccines available, reportedly as much or more than Moderna or Pfizer, six times more than J & J (three times more per dose) and up to ten times more than AZ.

27 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No its not - its allegedly 4 times the price of AZ !

I checked out pricing following stonker and benroon and I could not believe it - the Sinovac is by far the most expensive dose - but it has the least efficacy.  Multiple credible organisations have made that claim. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Ouch Ouch. 

• Haha 1