Thai Airways A340's & the remaining albatrosses!

KaptainRob

I got a flight to London next week for £185 with Etihad (was £149 the week before and £96 of that was the disgraceful taxes) - Thai Airways £476 !!

As it stands, the only Thai Airways A340 to have been given a second lease of life is HS-TLC. This A340-500 joined the Royal Thai Air Force in August 2016, where it has been re-registered as HS-TYV. Data from RadarBox.com shows that this aircraft’s last long-haul mission took it from Bangkok to Munich, Germany and back at the start of the month.

I wonder what the mission was? Germany? And how and why did it end up in the Thai Airforce? 

I like Thai Airways for domestic flights, but it definitely was a sucked dry cashed cow. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

As it stands, the only Thai Airways A340 to have been given a second lease of life is HS-TLC. This A340-500 joined the Royal Thai Air Force in August 2016, where it has been re-registered as HS-TYV. Data from RadarBox.com shows that this aircraft’s last long-haul mission took it from Bangkok to Munich, Germany and back at the start of the month.

I wonder what the mission was? Germany? And how and why did it end up in the Thai Airforce? 

I like Thai Airways for domestic flights, but it definitely was a sucked dry cashed cow. 

Interesting indeed. Any members  or members’ contacts in or around some of the Bavarian alpine delights such as Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Tutzing?  Any group activities happening, perhaps a bicycle ride or two??

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

This is one of them rhetorical thingies, right?

3 hours ago, Hamosity said:

Interesting indeed. Any members  or members’ contacts in or around some of the Bavarian alpine delights such as Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Tutzing?  Any group activities happening, perhaps a bicycle ride or two??

Apparently the local saddlery sold out very quickly of riding crops due to high demand from foreign visitors.

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

This is one of them rhetorical thingies, right?

Well that is as far as I am going to delve into and talk about it. It's a thingy for sure.

• Haha 2

Definitely.  I rewrote my comment 3 or 4 times, before coming up with the fact that it was a mystery.

A complete and utter mystery, that no man or even say  royalty could fathom.

4 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Definitely.  I rewrote my comment 3 or 4 times, before coming up with the fact that it was a mystery.

A complete and utter mystery, that no man or even say  royalty* could fathom.

*but not any Asian royalty.  Definitely talking about German's and Germany.

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 7:36 AM, shanghailoz said:

Germany, huh.   Guess no-one will ever know why.  

A340 flight training is mostly in Frankfurt. Maybe that’s why, I think..