Thailand’s big, bad meth boom, in the middle of a pandemic | VIDEO

Thaiger

Caitlin Ashworth reports on Thailand’s burgeoning drug trade and the futile attempts to try and control it. 72 tonnes of a chemical called propionyl chloride arrives in a remote region of Laos. All professionally packaged and loaded ready for shipping. The containers full of the obscure chemical had made their way from Jiangsu, a coastal Chinese province north of Shanghai in China. The huge shipment was destined for an obscure location in north west Laos, about a 2,000 kilometre road trip. But instead it was sent, by ship, on a much longer journey to arrive at Laem Chabang, the […]

The post Thailand’s big, bad meth boom, in the middle of a pandemic | VIDEO appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Things were going well until the testing began. Can you surmise when the "casedemic" began? Bad drugs are a consequence of allowing your country to unnecessarily devolve into ruin.

833101711_Thailandcovidtesting.png.f7288bd6ff2cb75126a77247abbdf7f5.png

Edited by Freeduhdumb
Grammar correction additional content.
  • Cool 1

But, as the full report concludes . . .

Although the paperwork showed that it would be delivered to Laos, the eventual destination was northern Myanmar. This all happened in July last year.

. . . so why is this report on show, today? Talk about 'yesterday's news' - this is last year's news. 

Edited by King Cotton
  • Like 1

Excellent reporting Caitlin Ashworth.   Your delivery skills are awesome.  It keeps me interested in listing to your report.  We appreciate your work.

• Cool 1

22 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Excellent reporting Caitlin Ashworth.   Your delivery skills are awesome.  It keeps me interested in listing to your report.  We appreciate your work.

Maybe heart-felt, maybe facetious? . . . we'll never know, but thanks for this, your debut post on TT!

Hello, MikeD and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

China the nation that keeps on giving

Yeah. With a friend like China, who needs an enemy. It seems even here they are always smothering you with something. Now meth, Covid 19, and before that too many of their people. Can't wait to see the next surprise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Caitlin Ashworth reports on Thailand’s burgeoning drug trade and the futile attempts to try and control it. 72 tonnes of a chemical called propionyl chloride arrives in a remote region of Laos. All professionally packaged and loaded ready for shipping. The containers full of the obscure chemical had made their way from Jiangsu, a coastal Chinese province north of Shanghai in China. The huge shipment was destined for an obscure location in north west Laos, about a 2,000 kilometre road trip. But instead it was sent, by ship, on a much longer journey to arrive at Laem Chabang, the […]

The post Thailand’s big, bad meth boom, in the middle of a pandemic | VIDEO appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

.....and those same shipping containers are then later used to transport food and other essential goods. Because the manifest doesn't disclose that it previously contained hazardous chemicals, any cargo loaded into that container in the future is potentially exposed. 

• Cool 1

Wow love the reporting on this topic. Super interested in the drug trade out of the Golden triangle as most of it is headed for Australia. Australians love their drugs so it is supply and demand. Keep up the good work. 

20 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

.....and those same shipping containers are then later used to transport food and other essential goods. Because the manifest doesn't disclose that it previously contained hazardous chemicals, any cargo loaded into that container in the future is potentially exposed. 

Not that food or drugs are securely wrapped/packaged/boxed or anything..............

On 8/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, King Cotton said:

But, as the full report concludes . . .

Although the paperwork showed that it would be delivered to Laos, the eventual destination was northern Myanmar. This all happened in July last year.

. . . so why is this report on show, today? Talk about 'yesterday's news' - this is last year's news. 

yeah, old news, or re- hashed news, Thailand has always been the hub for drugs for as long as I can remember. Still too many bent officials and cops in Thailand.

• Cool 1

Meth, and many other drugs, destroys lives and families, and brings with it the inevitable criminal plague that surrounds the drug trade.  Thailand will do well to strengthen penalties for drug traffickers.  

The safest place I ever lived was a country with the death penalty for drug trafficking.

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Meth, and many other drugs, destroys lives and families, and brings with it the inevitable criminal plague that surrounds the drug trade.  Thailand will do well to strengthen penalties for drug traffickers.  

The safest place I ever lived was a country with the death penalty for drug trafficking.

Your comments surprise me, since, as the below Google quote shows, Thailand does have the death penalty for drug trafficking . . .

Drugs. ... If you're found guilty of being in possession of 20 grams of a Class A drug on exiting Thailand you risk receiving the death penalty. Amphetamines and ecstasy are regarded as Class A drugs and possession or trafficking carries the same penalty as heroin

Just so that we know, but thanks for your post anyway.

9 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Your comments surprise me, since, as the below Google quote shows, Thailand does have the death penalty for drug trafficking . . .

Drugs. ... If you're found guilty of being in possession of 20 grams of a Class A drug on exiting Thailand you risk receiving the death penalty. Amphetamines and ecstasy are regarded as Class A drugs and possession or trafficking carries the same penalty as heroin

Just so that we know, but thanks for your post anyway.

@King Cotton Sorry, I should have chosen my words more carefully.  Thailand does have capital punishment on the books for serious drug trafficking, but Thailand doesn’t use capital punishment for these cases.  Having a death penalty for certain crimes is no deterrent when that penalty is not used.  

In general, Thailand has used the death penalty only once in the last 10 years — and that one case was a robbery that resulted in the death of the victim (called a Felony Murder in western jurisprudence).  This means, in the last 10 years (or perhaps longer), there have been zero death penalty cases for drug crimes in Thailand.  Criminals know this, and an unenforced penalty provides zero deterrence.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

@King Cotton Sorry, I should have chosen my words more carefully.  Thailand does have capital punishment on the books for serious drug trafficking, but Thailand doesn’t use capital punishment for these cases.  Having a death penalty for certain crimes is no deterrent when that penalty is not used.  

In general, Thailand has used the death penalty only once in the last 10 years — and that one case was a robbery that resulted in the death of the victim (called a Felony Murder in western jurisprudence).  This means, in the last 10 years (or perhaps longer), there have been zero death penalty cases for drug crimes in Thailand.  Criminals know this, and an unenforced penalty provides zero deterrence.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post.  

'Having a death penalty for certain crimes is no deterrent when that penalty is not used.'

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Thanks for clearing the issue anyway (:-)

• Like 1