Thai Hotels Association urges attention for domestic tourism

Thaiger

Doubting PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s pledge to reopen Thailand fully to international tourists by mid-October, the Thai Hotels Association is calling on the government to focus on plans to boost domestic tourism. The association says that the Thai government is laser-focused on international tourism and on achieving the reopening goal, but a backup plan is needed to encourage domestic tourism if international travel falters. Hotels across the country have been struggling to survive with many closing permanently and more temporarily shuttered due to Covid-19’s devastating effect on tourism. The Thai Hotel Association and the Bangko of Thailand ran a survey last […]

The post Thai Hotels Association urges attention for domestic tourism appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Didn’t this idea already fail? I seem to remember the focus being on domestic tourism already being tried twice and both times TAT admitted it was a failure. Outside of Pattaya and Hua Hin doing well on weekends and holidays, everywhere else sucked. Third time a charm or the definition of insanity? 

• Like 5

Domestic tourism whilst the pandemic rages across most of Thailand is pure fantasy, another attempt to get more handouts from Government. Phuket and Samui , if they can keep the virus out have some semblance of hope of some kind of high season, for the mainland forget it unless they get vaccine rate up quickly.....Asian tourists won’t come and Europeans won’t be able to get home without restrictions.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Didn’t this idea already fail? I seem to remember the focus being on domestic tourism already being tried twice and both times TAT admitted it was a failure. Outside of Pattaya and Hua Hin doing well on weekends and holidays, everywhere else sucked. Third time a charm or the definition of insanity? 

yes sure and it cost more then it gained. thais got discounted 50%+ of a hotel room to end up spending less then foreigners do whom where not allowed the same 'discounts'.

• Like 2

Hello together, does anyone know if Surat Thani province has same travel restrictions as Phuket and Krabi / Phang Nga? I have to pickup a family member from Phuket Sandbox, but cannot entry. So I want to know If I can pickup from Krabi/Surat Thani province border. Thank you

• Like 1

Omg, they finally woke up. Yes, Thais spend money too, every day, every weekend. Of cause, you have to work harder, but that's what service industry should do.

• Like 1

"..The minister believes Thailand can contain the current Covid-19 outbreak within the next 2 months and major international travel partner countries like France, Israel and the US will remove all travel warnings and flock to tropical Thailand."

Fair play Thaiger, this snippet in particular made me laugh and brightened my day.

Are you now employing clairvoyants? How easy is it to read the ministers mind? And what is Prayut currently thinking? Or are some badly need quotation marks / context missing?

I have just finished reading a very good novel based upon the travails of a journalist working for Goebbels tasked with putting a positive spin on the beating the Nazis were taking in Stalingrad in WW2, and I'm sure the character in question, Werner Nehamnn, would have died to be capable of dreaming up such journalistic license. 

I am neither French, Israeli nor American but will I still be able to flock to tropical Thailand from  not so tropical Hartlepool in the near future??

• Like 3

I used it last time, through family members and enjoyed some very nice discounts on Koh Lanta.

That was before the Delta variant of course.  

If they get that under control and offer discounts again...I'm off to Koh Lanta.

24 minutes ago, Dieter said:

Hello together, does anyone know if Surat Thani province has same travel restrictions as Phuket and Krabi / Phang Nga? I have to pickup a family member from Phuket Sandbox, but cannot entry. So I want to know If I can pickup from Krabi/Surat Thani province border. Thank you

@Faz

Sorry I can't help re your island pick-up query but there are plenty of travel experts on the forum, Faz especially, who will probably spot this post . . . your debut post, too, so thanks for that!

Hello, Dieter and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Edited by King Cotton
Omission

43 minutes ago, Dieter said:

Where are you travelling from and how does the family member plan to get to Krabi or Surat Thani?

• Thanks 1

I travel from Phitsanuloke province (overnight in Cha Am) by car, and my family member will go by taxi from Patong to Surat Thani (just behind Krabi provincial border).

7 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Omg, they finally woke up. Yes, Thais spend money too, every day, every weekend. Of cause, you have to work harder, but that's what service industry should do.

Exactly.  Around the world, safely easing tourism restrictions beginning with domestic tourism is a prudent way to support the hospitality sector.

Bittersweet watching how far thais will go to shut it all down yet still attempt to get money

The duality of thais as they try to spin logic to their benefit as covid slaps it away every time

All the glitters is not gold, no matter how much thais try to polish a turd and double charge us...

• Cool 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s pledge to reopen Thailand fully to international tourists by mid-October,

Curious if this means all "rules" will be dropped, esp the insurance one they have been chasing for years

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Curious if this means all "rules" will be dropped, esp the insurance one they have been chasing for years

No.  Once the government has a rule, they hate to get rid of it.  We're still limited to the hours we can buy alcohol, aren't we?

How stupid was that rule?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, Thaiger said:

Hotels across the country have been struggling to survive

Let’s see what the industry looks like in three months. With the country fully open again by 14 October  all the hotels should be welcoming guests and be enjoying the local and foreign tourists. Remember the Prime Minister told us so, Thailand will be open by then. Phuket will be thriving. Let’s see what two months from today looks like. ….. but also the PM has promised Better Covid-19 numbers by mid September. I wish I have his crystal ball.

As a double vaxxed person I'd happily visit Phuket sandbox. Unfortunately my country is not on the list of 69 eligible countries. So until that changes, I AIN'T COMING.

Did ASQ once already. That was enough. For me it's not about the money. It's the wasted time. I'm cash rich but time poor.

• Like 1