Best places to take a road trip in Thailand

Thaiger

"4. Chiang Mai to Pai

If you are looking to test your driving skills, this trip is definitely the most intense as it features winding roads and turns. Thus, it is recommended to embark on your road trip during the day as its hills and narrow roads can be difficult to navigate at night."

I survived the entire May Hong Son loop on my Kawasaki Versys 650 touring bike. the loop has 1884 curves some of which are very steep and are 180 degrees or greater.  you are looking up and backwards over your shoulder while riding forwards. fantastic trip but i almost got nailed by a huge truck on a downhill blind curve which was passing another truck. it was like cool in a Beavis and Butt-Head kind of way. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"5. Rayong to Pattaya, Bangkok, and Hua Hin

This ultimate road trip starts on the island of Koh Samet in Rayong Province, where you’ll catch a ferry to the main land. Then, the fun continues as travellers embark on a journey for about 1-hour to Pattaya. Pattaya was once home to some of the most infamous nightlife in the world. Needless to say, staying overnight is a good idea, especially if you plan to experience the Walking Street."

want to hear some more stories boys and girls? OK! I did a variation of this trip riding from Hua Hin to Kho Chang Island and back which is much cooler than Koh Samet. From HH I spent the night in Bangkok with my friend Candy Mafia. God she was cute. anyway that was totally unplanned because she saw me on Badoo GPS and was like "Can I stay with you?" the next day I crossed the ferry near Wat Bang Nam Phueng Nok on the island that is right in the middle of Bangkok. If you have not been on this island I suggest you go. Then on to the highway where you never really know if you are allowed to go on a motorcycle or not. hahahaha. 

so i got to Pattaya and stayed for a week and then something totally unplanned happened again and I had to go to the hospital for some antibiotics. I was in constant contact with the doctor as we searched for antibiotics what would work while i continued my trip. 

South down the coast past Rayong is very nice. 

then on to Koh Chang by ferry which is a fun experience the first time alone and not knowing what to expect. KC is great to see by motorcycle, especially the East coast. 

so back in HH make sure to see the Wat in a cave thing.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

My Thai friend and I did the Mae Hong Son Loop,--shortened slightly in his BMW 735. Started and ended in Chiang Mai.

First night in Pai. Second in Mae Sariang, then back to CM. Stopped a number of times for rest breaks and to see the sights.

I thought the road was in good shape, but it didn't appear to be built to any sort of western safety code. 

52830952_paimaesarieonsong018.thumb.JPG.40721b5683a3bc28b3855b9dc68756fd.JPG2141533086_paimaesarieonsong076.thumb.JPG.70e33abc31e2f1bde743010ef92935e5.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Riding is the best way to enjoy Thailand. I have covered almost all the places except the 1000 corners and north east Thailand....hopefully will do when the flooding season is over.

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2022 at 12:31 PM, Ramanathan.P said:

Riding is the best way to enjoy Thailand. I have covered almost all the places except the 1000 corners and north east Thailand....hopefully will do when the flooding season is over.

Done the loop early this year. My advise to all those who wanted to do the loop. It is more safer to start from route 108 via Mae Sariang - Mae Hong Son - Pai - Chiang mai. This is because the road gradually gradient up and anyone who does not have much experience in mountain winding roads have the opportunity to adjust their riding skills accordingly. If one were to follow from Chiang Mai to Pai, the road is very steep and may not have the necessary exposure and experience to control the motorcycle. This is one of the main reason for the many accidents that is happening along that route. Especially between Chiang Mai and  Pai. 

• Like 1