US official says no conditions attached to 2.5 million vaccines donated to Thailand

Thaiger

A US official says there are no strings attached to her country’s donation of 2.5 million Covid-19 vaccines to Thailand. The US is also donating US$5 million to help the Kingdom fight the pandemic. The US ambassador to the United Nations, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, has echoed the sentiments first expressed by UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres in April 2020. “Providing vaccines to other nations, our objective is singly to save lives, with the full knowledge that none of us is safe until all of us are safe.” Thai PBS World reports that Thomas-Greenfield made the statement at a press conference in […]

The post US official says no conditions attached to 2.5 million vaccines donated to Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No conditions?  Pffft. PM won't be looking to Biden for support if there's another uprising. It'll be Putin or Xi. Birds of a feather...

Edited by ThailandBob
  • Like 1

America caused the problem??? The origin of the current problem across the globe is fricking China and their CVOID-19 Bio-weapon..

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It must be annoying for our American members living in the kingdom knowing America is giving away millions of top vaccines to the Thai government and knowing full well the first to benefit it will be Government friends , the Military and there elite Hi-So family and friends the Old " Im alright Jack " syndrome. Once this has been given the scraps will be given to health workers or people who work in the front line. The old and people with ongoing health problems and Expats will be overlooked. The only hope the American expats who reside in Thailand should be getting together and form a group to approach the American Embassy in BKK and demand you are the first to receive the donated American vaccine like the French expats did.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Thomazz59 said:

America caused the problem??? The origin of the current problem across the globe is fricking China and their CVOID-19 Bio-weapon..

Nurse! He's out of bed and shouting again............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, vlad said:

The only hope the American expats who reside in Thailand should be getting together and form a group to approach the American Embassy in BKK

Pretty sure we’ll be deemed terrorists for doing that. 

• Like 1

Well we'll just have to sit until the next batch of enough Pfizer after these two batches lands here. So effectively this will now be 1.5 + 2.5 million doses (4 million) that will more than likely not reach any American or the family directly as they should on this soil.  How many doses would it take to take care of all of us and our family being wife and kids? 70,000 - 80,000 - or a measly 100,000 - 150,000?

4 million total - 150,000 = 3.85 million left. Less than 4% for us at tops.

And I wonder just where the you know who will spend or give that $5,000,000 of free money to?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Nurse! He's out of bed and shouting again............

Its no good blaming anyone the main thing is to work at the problem and resolve it not throwing petrol onto the fire.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thomazz59 said:

There has been stories about it becoming Wuhan populated after a military Olympics where 3 Americans have attended and these where weaponized.

We will never find the truth and we're now all in the shits anyways.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shark said:

There has been stories about it becoming Wuhan populated after a military Olympics where 3 Americans have attended and these where weaponized.

We will never find the truth and we're now all in the shits anyways.

I had read that, and seen a vid of an American smearing saliva on a subway train handrail whilst in uniform, but hey ho, no winners there is there?

1 minute ago, Poolie said:

I had read that

By now, I don't know what I've read where anymore. So much (fake) news.
This was for sure on a at-least alternative news site - perhaps even on alu headed hosting for what I care.

2 minutes ago, Poolie said:

but hey ho, no winners there is there?

I don't think there are any winners for sure or they're yet very well hidden and they'll reveal themselves post-covid, perhaps maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

It must be annoying for our American members living in the kingdom knowing America is giving away millions of top vaccines to the Thai government and knowing full well the first to benefit it will be Government friends , the Military and there elite Hi-So family and friends the Old " Im alright Jack " syndrome. Once this has been given the scraps will be given to health workers or people who work in the front line. The old and people with ongoing health problems and Expats will be overlooked. The only hope the American expats who reside in Thailand should be getting together and form a group to approach the American Embassy in BKK and demand you are the first to receive the donated American vaccine like the French expats did.

It’s hard to disagree with this @vlad. You have to wonder exactly what is the plan or do they even have a plan. Despite the no strings attached comment, it’s obvious this is vaccine diplomacy. Why else would you give away vaccine in an apparent random fashion? 

All that said, I find it utterly bemusing. If it is for diplomatic reasons then a few million doses is hardly going to win over the Thai government in favour of the Chinese. If it was the first delivery of a sustained supply with a plan to fully vaccinate Thailand then fine.  If it’s not for diplomatic reasons then why the hell would you randomly pick Thailand to hand out a couple of million doses?  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either way I view it. I’m sure there is a master plan somewhere but I can’t see it. Maybe others have better ideas that hold up? 

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Despite the no strings attached comment, it’s obvious this is vaccine diplomacy.

Obvious? To you maybe, but I'm more than happy to go with the official line, “Providing vaccines to other nations, our objective is singly to save lives, with the full knowledge that none of us is safe until all of us are safe.”

Gullible, maybe, but let's show some belief at times, especially when vaccine and cash are coming Thailand's way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Obvious? To you maybe, but I'm more than happy to go with the official line, “Providing vaccines to other nations, our objective is singly to save lives, with the full knowledge that none of us is safe until all of us are safe.”

Gullible, maybe, but let's show some belief at times, especially when vaccine and cash are coming Thailand's way.

Fair point. I guess I should have said this feels or looks like an obvious case of diplomacy. I’m just struggling to find how this sits in to an overall plan. It’s hard to believe that some random number of 2.5 million was picked out of the air and Thailand’s name was drawn out of hat of needy countries. If not, then why? 

Shouldn't these supplies been given to something like the Covax  scheme. This has the objective of vaccinating the world. As is rightly stated. “No one is safe until we are all safe”. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Shouldn't these supplies been given to something like the Covax  scheme. This has the objective of vaccinating the world. As is rightly stated. “No one is safe until we are all safe".

Exactly. An attention grabber with accompanying slogan. Vomit inducing.

• Haha 1

I thought the original arrival of 1.5m a couple weeks ago came with the request that an allotment be set aside for foreigners regardless of age. Another 1 m doses was promised. It's been awhile; what's happening?

5 hours ago, vlad said:

Shouldn't be annoying to Americans at all.  How the Thai decide to utilize their vaccines is up to them.  It SHOULD, however, be annoying to the Thai as the distribution among their people is so wealth centric.  Americans living overseas have made a choice to live in a country with different rules, laws, and customs.  While they can look to their home government for some guidance and assistance they should never expect the exact same benefits and help they would receive back in the USA.  When you move to a foreign country there are benefits and detriments - not just benefits.  

• Like 1