Only 6.7% of Thai population fully vaccinated, over 23% have received 1 dose

Thaiger

Just 6.7% of Thai residents are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, while over 23% have received their first dose. The figures were released by the Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation Ministry, according to a Nation Thailand report. The southern island of Phuket is the only province where the majority of people have been fully vaccinated. The island launched its quarantine-free re-opening to foreign tourists on July 1, which required most of the local population to be inoculated. Nation Thailand reports that over 20 million vaccine doses have now been administered in the Kingdom, with the first 10 million administered in […]

The post Only 6.7% of Thai population fully vaccinated, over 23% have received 1 dose appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The figures were released by the Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation Ministry, according to a Nation Thailand report.

isn't is a Health Ministry or CCDC who supposed to have correct numbers. Something coming from Research and Innovation Ministry about Covid smells fishy...

• Cool 1

What was the great one bragging about a few days ago ? please remind me was it " We will be we will see good news in 6 weeks ". Its taken at least well over six Monthe's and the Government has only vaccinated 6.7% and only 23% having there 1st dose. Unless Millions of Vaccines like A/Z or Pfizer are purchased and the vaccine programme  is ran properly and more efficient it won't have 80-90% that is needed for Herd immunity. So it will not be next year you can expect most of the population vaccinated never mind in a few weeks as The PM stated. So who is spreading fake news now ?.

• Like 5

Article Quote: Just 6.7% of Thai residents are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, while over 23% have received their first dose. The figures were released by the Higher Education, Science, Research, and Innovation Ministry, according to a Nation Thailand report. 

To date, Thailand has been heavily reliant on just 2 vaccine brands, with 48.77% of administered doses being the Chinese Sinovac and 43.95% being AstraZeneca. 7% of doses are Sinopharm, while just 0.28% of the doses administered are Pfizer. The highest number of vaccines administered was on August 5, with 670,000 doses rolled out.

And their plan is still working for the Chinese and AZ jabs, and now they can plan on having their immunity for doing it as well.

13 minutes ago, vlad said:

What was the great one bragging about a few days ago ? please remind me was it " We will be we will see good news in 6 weeks ". Its taken at least well over six Monthe's and the Government has only vaccinated 6.7% and only 23% having there 1st dose. Unless Millions of Vaccines like A/Z or Pfizer are purchased and the vaccine programme  is ran properly and more efficient it won't have 80-90% that is needed for Herd immunity. So it will not be next year you can expect most of the population vaccinated never mind in a few weeks as The PM stated. So who is spreading fake news now ?.

But it will not be fake news when you have immunity, It will just be Que Sera Sera - go away I am untouchable.

These figures are not relevant when sinovac is proved to have little or no effect on variants and is but a waste of time  resources  and lives..not to mention the thai economy..

• Like 1

Are we talking Sloth speed or Snail pace for the vaccine rollout ?

An absolute disgrace but what can you expect from the Clowns in the Circus ?

Why don't this Government Liaise and ask other Governments how they tackled there pandemics instead of thinking they will overcome it. There efforts have shown they cannot contain it. So instead of trying to navigate the Boat without a Rudder seek advice.

11 minutes ago, vlad said:

Why don't this Government Liaise and ask other Governments how they tackled there pandemics instead of thinking they will overcome it. There efforts have shown they cannot contain it. So instead of trying to navigate the Boat without a Rudder seek advice.

The problem isn't those running the show needing advice.  

The problem is those running the show putting self-interest above the national interest.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, vlad said:

Agreed but will never happen Vlad. It’s a question I often ask about Thailand. They don’t have to come to Western countries to find out how to run things better. They can ask Asian countries like South Korea, Japan or Taiwan. It’s the same for all the other “hard and difficult things” such as road safety or efficient tax collection or having centralised databases. 

A neighbour of mine a few years ago in Holland worked for the Dutch government. His job and that of his department, was basically to look across the globe to find Best Practice and look to influence and implement in to the Dutch government policies. He told me that most EU countries do such things and they were in the process of combining resources and sharing data. Why reinvent the wheel right?   

Im not sure what drives the reluctance. Pride? The famous loss of face? Or just plain stubbornness? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed but will never happen Vlad. It’s a question I often ask about Thailand. They don’t have to come to Western countries to find out how to run things better. They can ask Asian countries like South Korea, Japan or Taiwan. It’s the same for all the other “hard and difficult things” such as road safety or efficient tax collection or having centralised databases. 

A neighbour of mine a few years ago in Holland worked for the Dutch government. His job and that of his department, was basically to look across the globe to find Best Practice and look to influence and implement in to the Dutch government policies. He told me that most EU countries do such things and they were in the process of combining resources and sharing data. Why reinvent the wheel right?   

Im not sure what drives the reluctance. Pride? The famous loss of face? Or just plain stubbornness? 

They will not ask a Farang for help, been there, done that and worn the t shirt

One example the flooding in BKK why not get the Dutch in for water management? not happening

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vlad said:

Unless Millions of Vaccines like A/Z or Pfizer are purchased and the vaccine programme  is ran properly and more efficient it won't have 80-90% that is needed for Herd immunity. 

I tend to be more optimistic (about Thailand) I think than most on this forum (that I recently joined).

But I don't think herd immunity is in reach (at least any time soon) with any vaccine against the Delta variant.  Results from Israel (for example) have shown Pfizer has a reduced efficacy for preventing infection against Delta, less than what is needed for herd immunity.  AstraZeneca is even worse vs the Delta.

My current (some what depressing) view is herd immunity, if ever reached, will only be reached after the vast majority of us have been infected (but hopefully survive due to improved immune system response thanks to vaccines, improved medicines and other factors), and also when the virus stops mutating - which I think is going to be very difficult to achieve.  

Not an optimistic outlook - regardless as to which vaccine.

18 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

One example the flooding in BKK why not get the Dutch in for water management? not happening

Agreed. But as I say, they don’t have to ask “Farang” governments. There’s enough quality in Asian countries such as Japan and Taiwan etc. 

I'm always amazed when you call one of the big companies such as True, Bangkok Bank or Thai airways. It’s great they have the “for English please press 2” option. But then you sometimes struggle to hear what is being said for the next options due to the heavy accent. Why not go in to the street and offer any Aussie, American or English if they fancy earning 5,000 baht for an hours work and record the options. Not allowed I guess as not in the rules of their visa. Inscrutable lot the Thais ? 

2 hours ago, Johno said:

These figures are not relevant when sinovac is proved to have little or no effect on variants and is but a waste of time  resources  and lives..not to mention the thai economy..

That is not accurate. 

Yes Sinovac efficacy is low (compared to other vaccines) for preventing infection, but its actually decent at preventing serious illness and preventing death.

In fact all of the vaccines have pretty much shown a decreased efficacy against the Delta variant (for preventing infection), and it now appears infection is much more likely (even among the Pfizer vaccinated) but rather the defense now is against developing serious illness and against death - something fortunately most COVID vaccines still provide.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

What "help" do they need, fercrissakes?

This isn't water-management or technical.

All you need to do is buy vaccines at the earliest time they're available if you have the money - and Thailand has the money - and to accept six million vaccine doses a month when offered instead of turning it down and saying you only want three million.

It's not about being incompetent or arrogant or needing advice or help. 

It's about putting the national interest above personal interest - why try to excuse the inexcusable?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I tend to be more optimistic (about Thailand) I think than most on this forum (that I recently joined).

But I don't think herd immunity is in reach (at least any time soon) with any vaccine against the Delta variant.  Results from Israel (for example) have shown Pfizer has a reduced efficacy for preventing infection against Delta, less than what is needed for herd immunity.  AstraZeneca is even worse vs the Delta.

My current (some what depressing) view is herd immunity, if ever reached, will only be reached after the vast majority of us have been infected (but hopefully survive due to improved immune system response thanks to vaccines, improved medicines and other factors), and also when the virus stops mutating - which I think is going to be very difficult to achieve.  

Not an optimistic outlook - regardless as to which vaccine.

oldcpu if you think Sinovac is helping it is not. Thats why most Country's at least western country's have refused to use it and others have not even give it a licence but surprise surprise the Thai government have bought it because its cheap and ineffective against the Delta Variant. Even there chief scientist have wrote it off as no no. Do you fully understand why herd immunity is essential oldcpu or you still in the belief the PM is on course for mass vaccine's. I'll give you a clue in the UK  our hospital figures are dropping daily. Thailand's are rising daily.

What percentage of the 6% is Sinovac fully vaccinated??

Since they’re boosting shots with AZ then that number should be lower since we’re back to square one. 

In my opinion Thailand had the chance to keep the Pandemic controllable but because they allowed people to travel in and out of there provinces throughout the Country, there top Scientist's knew this was likely to spread the virus but the Government ignored them and as a result of there incompetence Covid is now out of control and with little chance of even having 20% people double jabbed in the next five Month's. The figures speak for themselves 6.5% fully inoculated in over 11 Month's so how long will it take to get 85-90% fully inoculated. Its no good going with the begging bowl asking other Country's to donate vaccines. The Government needs to use there federal reserves and buy efficient vaccine's enough to inoculate the entire population. Forget Enticing holiday makers to come, trying to make money from paltry Tourist numbers  instead procure vaccine's.  

Edited by vlad
  • Like 2

Well it takes time to vaccinate a whole country .

This is the situation in Sweden since January when the vaccinations started ,so we've been on for 7.5 months now with the population of 8-9 millions people over 18 year .

image.thumb.png.f5c41607ce82f1e10dc8de227acda6e8.png

Datum Antal vaccinerade
med minst 1 dos*
Andel (%) vaccinerade
med minst 1 dos
Antal vaccinerade
med 2 doser
Andel (%) vaccinerade
med 2 doser
2021-08-10 6 560 956 80,1 4 581 328 55,9
2021-08-06 6 504 950 79,4 4 437 997 54,2
2021-08-05 6 482 493 79,2 4 369 521 53,4
2021-08-04 6 468 751 79,0 4 343 251 53,0
2021-08-03 6 433 921 78,6 4 266 100 52,1
2021-07-30 6 392 465 78,1 4 172 893 51,0

And Thailand have a population of about 65millions  .Gonna take time they can't do magic with the vaccination.

its took us over a year Slacker in the UK and even with the best vaccines we still cannot get infections down to 23,000 daily infections so what chance has Thailand ?. There PM is  begging other country's to Donate Quality Vaccines.

Sorry, but just to point out, it’s not 11 months or over a year for the U.K.  Margaret Keenan was the first persons in the U.K. to be given a shot and that was on December 8th 2020. So that’s 8 months ago. Today it was announced 75% of adults (18+) have been fully vaccinated. This is in a country with very good access to locally produced vaccines. It will take Thailand over a year to reach this level even if they got a good supply tomorrow. 
However, we can ignore the much touted  herd immunity. The delta variant and the vaccines currently on offer only reduce your chance of getting Covid and significantly reduce serious illness and death. So herd immunity simply won’t be achievable with the current crop. It seems we are all destined to catch Covid, but if inoculated you are far less likely to die. 

• Like 1