Thai colds

Bluesofa

It sometimes makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a Thai cold?

I ask because over the years various Thais I’ve known have said they’ve got a cold - sneezing and sniffling. Then a day or two later it miraculously disappears.

When I have a cold, perhaps once in a year or two years, I have it for a week or so. I googled the length of a cold. The results were consistently ‘seven to ten days’.

So what is it that Thais have? It can’t be hypochondria they seem renowned for, as you couldn’t make yourself sneeze or imagine a really runny nose.

Are there other countries in the region where people seem to have this ‘mini-cold’ for want of a better phrase?

I would Google that again BS.?

"Colds usually last 3 to 7 days, but sometimes they hang on as long as 2 weeks. If you’re under the weather for longer than that, one of these things could be to blame".

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/your-cold-wont-go-away

I have obviously integrated during my time in Thailand as I usually carry a cold for only a couple of days. In the UK I could almost guarantee picking something up when the seasons changed to winter, then again to spring - those colds would usually last about a week.

I am sure that we are both 'normal'.

28 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It sometimes makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a Thai cold?

I ask because over the years various Thais I’ve known have said they’ve got a cold - sneezing and sniffling. Then a day or two later it miraculously disappears.

When I have a cold, perhaps once in a year or two years, I have it for a week or so. I googled the length of a cold. The results were consistently ‘seven to ten days’.

So what is it that Thais have? It can’t be hypochondria they seem renowned for, as you couldn’t make yourself sneeze or imagine a really runny nose.

Are there other countries in the region where people seem to have this ‘mini-cold’ for want of a better phrase?

My guess is the spicy food, or maybe just bacteria from less sanitary measures?

Edited by dj230

A Khon Kaen University professor claimed that since ancient Thais originated from Southern Chinese migrants that were constantly exposed to coronaviruses. So Thai people sort of have an “inherent generational protection” against coronaviruses such as the common cold. 

Back in the US flus and colds were common for me. But in Thailand I’ve noticed it’s been rare. The only problem I have are mostly gastrointestinal. I suspect poor food handling hygiene for that. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

A Khon Kaen University professor claimed that since ancient Thais originated from Southern Chinese migrants that were constantly exposed to coronaviruses. So Thai people sort of have an “inherent generational protection” against coronaviruses such as the common cold.

Thanks for that interesting snippet > do you have by any chance also the name of that prof or a link to the article/video in which he made that observation.

49 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I would Google that again BS.?

"Colds usually last 3 to 7 days, but sometimes they hang on as long as 2 weeks.

Thanks for replying. I take your point, and the link to WebMD.

Searching again just now, the first page of ten results were eight said 'seven to ten days'. One said 'three to ten days' and one 'four to ten days'.

I wonder why you have what I described earlier as a 'Thai cold' here? My cold still lasts for a week or so here in Thailand.

My stepson had a cold last week for one day. He was sneezing and got through nearly a box of tissues, continually blowing his nose. The next day when I was keeping my distance, he said, 'That was yesterday. It's gone now.' (he doesn't have any allergies btw, so it wasn't that)

It makes me wonder if perhaps the weather and humidity affect the length of a cold?

edit: I missed all the other replies above while I was writing this reply.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

makes me wonder if perhaps the weather and humidity affect the length of a cold?

I have had few 'colds' here, although just after Christmas, I had vile chest infection, but it was bleedin' cold!

The 'colds' I have had seem to last no more than 48 hours & are nothing like the miserable ones like I used to get in the auld country. Damn things would last a week!

sick sneeze GIF by Die Männergrippe

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Colds are more frequent in the winter, when we live in heated spaces. Air is commonly recirculated allowing the virus to thrive.

In Thailand there is generally better  ventilation.  Additionally low humidity in heated rooms is a factor.

Thai that like in the west get colds.