India will not have the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine available until 2022.

Andrew Reeve

1930155026_Thaigernews.jpg.a1710c055f3d389f22583ef22fd204fd.jpg

According to an internal government report, India will have to wait until 2022 to obtain Moderna's mRNA COVID-19 vaccination because the company's orders are fully booked for 2021. The Centre is continuing in talks with the US-based pharmaceutical business about producing its COVID-19 vaccine, which is based on mRNA technology, as part of the country's vaccination program.

The government report has indicated, "Moderna expressed interest in supplying their vaccine only in 2022, owing to the fact that their orders for 2021 were already fully booked. Moderna's leadership also expressed interest in discussing the possibility of producing Moderna vaccines in India in the coming years "According to the Hindustan Times.

On June 11, the government formed a committee led by Niti Aayog (health) officials that included officers from the health ministry, the department of legal affairs, and the external affairs ministry to deal with difficulties relating to the acquisition of COVID-19 vaccines from overseas vaccine manufacturers. On topics such as indemnity, the team is in contact with overseas producers such as Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and Moderna.

According to an internal analysis, indemnity provisions are an important feature of the government's purchase agreements with pharmaceutical corporations after reviewing deals with other countries by businesses such as Pfizer. So far, none of the Indian enterprises that have been approved have received such protection from the government.

"Pfizer agreed to supply several million doses of Pfizer vaccinations, but only if the business consented to an indemnity agreement waiving any culpability, as well as sovereign jurisdiction and arbitration," according to the article. It went on to say that Indian missions around the world confirmed the existence of such agreements and informed the appropriate authorities.

Souce: BusinessToday.in

Exactly the same as Thailand. I'm afraid this is not news, the CEO of Moderna has already stated, about a month ago, that no asian country would get Moderna before March 2022 at best! Making a complete mockery of the slew of thai hospitals taking deposits for it claiming it would be delivered in March (21), then June, then October and now returning deposits as they're not getting it!

Thailand also had their wrists slapped by Moderna for imposing a markup of over 50% - it is a condition of sale you do not do this. The hospitals then spun this as a 'Sale' when they were forced to drop the price!

26 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Exactly the same as Thailand. I'm afraid this is not news, the CEO of Moderna has already stated, about a month ago, that no asian country would get Moderna before March 2022 at best! Making a complete mockery of the slew of thai hospitals taking deposits for it claiming it would be delivered in March (21), then June, then October and now returning deposits as they're not getting it!

Thailand also had their wrists slapped by Moderna for imposing a markup of over 50% - it is a condition of sale you do not do this. The hospitals then spun this as a 'Sale' when they were forced to drop the price!

Hey if they didn’t do that then can they get their beaks wet?? Think about the profits they’re missing out on! They could’ve bought an island. But these damn western laws got in the way. 

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Source, please.

I hadn't seen anywhere that the groups taking deposits were refunding them because the drug wouldn't be delivered until next year.  Last we heard was 3.1 million doses to that scheme would begin arriving in October.

No harm in asking for @Benroon's source, but please be mindful of G19 . . . 

. . . you have no right to demand (a) that they support their position with a detailed argument or (b) that they respond to your questions. It is up to each individual to participate in the forum as much or as little as they wish. . . .

Just reminding (:-)

King Cotton, Moderator

Edited by King Cotton
Guidance re asking other members for sources.
  • Like 1

By March 2022, we will be at the Foxtrot variant that will have evolved to the point that the current vaccines created for the Alpha variant are of little benefit.

24 minutes ago, Zool said:

The longer it takes to roll out these 'vaccines', the better IMO. Might save a few more lives.

Thoughts on mRNA?

3 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Source, please.

I hadn't seen anywhere that the groups taking deposits were refunding them because the drug wouldn't be delivered until next year.  Last we heard was 3.1 million doses to that scheme would begin arriving in October.

. . . you have no right to demand (a) that they support their position with a detailed argument or (b) that they respond to your questions. It is up to each individual to participate in the forum as much or as little as they wish. . . .

King Cotton, Moderator

My go to CSR at the Private in UD, told me that the October scheme (Mvacc roll out of 3.1m) is still in play and the second scheme( 5 mil) starts in the 1st Quarter of next year ! I signed up my in law for the 1st Quarter!

I have a refundable down deposit with them for the mvacc with arrival expected to come in October - December ! I was told I would get a full refund if the date wasn't met !  

Until than I'll wait ! We only go to the ATM and food shopping   while double masked with a face shield ! 

Edited by riclag

6 hours ago, TiT said:

Thoughts on mRNA?

NovaVax is non-mRNA. I’m holding out on that one. Not to mention clinical trials lasted longer and exposed to different variants

5 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

NovaVax is non-mRNA. I’m holding out on that one. Not to mention clinical trials lasted longer and exposed to different variants

If I can avoid it in any way, I will NOT take a covid-vaccine.  But when forced to take it, NovaVax would also be my choice.  The vilified Chinese ones, based on traditional vaccine-technology would currently be my 2nd choice.  But under no circumstances will I take the mRNA gene therapies (don't let them fool you that these are just 'improved' vaccines based on the latest technology). 

11 hours ago, MrStretch said:

King Cotton, Moderator

Bit over the top response, there, eh?  A simple request for a source is permitted, so why the tap on the shoulder?  

12 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Source, please.

King Cotton, Moderator

It’s ok - Google Moderna, Asia Bloomberg - that’s where the interview took place. Bangkok hospital Petchaburi are issuing refunds as are  several others and a friend received a refund last week, because it’s not coming here! It was just a clumsy attempt to be first out of the starting blocks with the biggest client list when Moderna arrived. But it’s backfired! 

You will not be getting Moderna in October trust me unless a new order is signed but in the interview mentioned above it’s clear it takes months AND the Thai health minister himself has said he has seen no draft contract for Moderna yet and the first person to see it would be him! Maybe in the meantime private hospitals will be allowed to go solo but they can’t at the moment and even if they could Moderna are struggling to meet their current order book. 

Further ALL vaccines that the Thai government have ordered for 2021 is on record - bit of googling should find it, and I think it was on here, but not sure, now guess how many Moderna was on that list ? ZERO ! 

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Bit over the top response, there, eh?  A simple request for a source is permitted, so why the tap on the shoulder?  

Apologies due, here, @MrStretch, since I need to admit to NOT having read the new Rule 16 that relates to members requesting sources. Still working my way back into Mod duties and the various recent rule amendments had escaped my attention.

Sorry, again and happy posting

KC

On 8/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Benroon said:

Exactly the same as Thailand. I'm afraid this is not news, the CEO of Moderna has already stated, about a month ago, that no asian country would get Moderna before March 2022 at best!

I surfed and tried to find that reference, and I failed. Instead I found a 27-July-2021 article that stated Thailand can expect Moderna deliveries in Q4 2021:   https://www.biospectrumasia.com/news/91/18679/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-to-be-available-in-thailand-from-q4-2021.html

• Like 1

Well it states Q4 and in the next paragraph 2022. But even if the Moderna CEO is wrong about his own company, the Thai health minister has said he hasn’t seen a draft contract for Moderna and it is a 6 month process from signing. Plus to be fair I’ve seen this ‘5 million Moderna’ order touted to be coming last March, then June, then October, then March 2022! (That came from Bangkok Hospital Petchaburi who are now returning deposits) 

Having said all that I would probably still wait and hope, given the alternatives, but I’ve got a flight to the U.K. booked where it’s guaranteed as I’m just tired of the endless vagaries.  

I guess you take your chances. 

On 8/14/2021 at 10:11 AM, Benroon said:

Well it states Q4 and in the next paragraph 2022. But even if the Moderna CEO is wrong about his own company, the Thai health minister has said he hasn’t seen a draft contract for Moderna and it is a 6 month process from signing.

In this day and age of a rush for news to print (with minimal checking) its hard to know what to believe.  A few weeks back I read an article that said contract signed .... Here is one example of such:

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210724133828055

(dated 24-July-2021).  It says all by Q1 2022. It doesn't say if any arrive in Q4 2021.

edit: and another article:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-red-cross-plans-1m-free-moderna-vaccines-80699.php

where I have read contract signed 23-July-2021. The above Phuket news article suggests there 'might be some deliveries in Q4 2021, and rest in 2022.

Accurate?  Who knows?  I sure as heck do not know.

Having said all that I would probably still wait and hope, given the alternatives, but I’ve got a flight to the U.K. booked where it’s guaranteed as I’m just tired of the endless vagaries.  

Best wishes on your travels.  Stay safe !

I guess you take your chances. 

Ain't that the truth ! 

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

Cheers oldcpu - I'll try and distract the nurse with my handsomeness and slip an extra Moderna vial in my bag.

It'll have your name on it !